U.K. chess news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.K. chess news

Let's hope the following U.K. chess news item is a total success. I'd love to see the idea migrate west to these shores.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...rds-drive.html

Re: U.K. chess news

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
    Let's hope the following U.K. chess news item is a total success. I'd love to see the idea migrate west to these shores.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...rds-drive.html
    Very interesting and exciting chess news! I'm always happy when schools introduce chess, either as part of the curriculum, or as an extracurricular activity.

Move over Nigel... make room for a bunch of new prodigies! :D
    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

"Pupils will spend an hour a week on chess over 30 weeks, learning how to play the game and developing thinking and problem-solving skills through chess. Chess clubs will also be established in the schools. "

It is better than nothing. Though, it should be more concentrated, or moved to an younger age group.

Comment

will it happen in canada ?:D

Comment

Slow but steady progress it would seem. The number of MPs actively supporting a chess in U.K. schools programme now number "a dozen or so".

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/...rter-1-6792085

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
            Slow but steady progress it would seem.
            Chess in the schools isn't really a new idea. I can recall in the late 1950's we had a school chess club. During the Easter school break teams from all the schools in the city had a team tournament at one of the schools. I seem to recall it was grades 10 - 12.

As you know, education is a provincial matter so I don't know what was happening in other provinces like Ontario and Quebec. But that's what happened in Winnipeg.

In Ontario they had a school chess tournament during school hours when my daughter was around grade 3. The early to mid 1970's. It was knockout. She made it to the final 4, lost, cried and that was pretty much her chess career. That was in Scarborough.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              Chess in the schools isn't really a new idea. I can recall in the late 1950's we had a school chess club. During the Easter school break teams from all the schools in the city had a team tournament at one of the schools. I seem to recall it was grades 10 - 12.

In Ontario they had a school chess tournament during school hours when my daughter was around grade 3.
              Hi Gary:

The Ontario High School Chess Championship still takes place every year, although they need to find new organizers. Chris Field has been doing a good job but when he stepped away a few years ago the new organizers botched things.

In Toronto, there is a Toronto Secondary School Chess League which has ongoing team matches throughout the year with two tournaments at the end of the year: a team tournament and an individual tournament. A few years ago my younger son's school formed a chess club (he was in grade 5) and then toward the end of the year two teams traveled to another school to play in an all-day tournament against the other local elementary schools.

A lot of this has to do with the initiative of individual schools and teachers. When my eldest kid was participating in the OHSCC, there were certain schools that would do well year-over-year and would have a large number of participants. Those would be the high schools with established chess programmes and clubs.

One area where I think the CFC should become involved is helping high school clubs organize and run their own in-school tournaments, and encouraging student participation in external tournaments (or clubs).

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                One area where I think the CFC should become involved is helping high school clubs organize and run their own in-school tournaments, and encouraging student participation in external tournaments (or clubs).

Steve
                That would be a good idea.

With external clubs I don't know how many are set up to handle an influx of players. Some could probably easily handle more members.

The club in Winnipeg was open all the time. Mostly, as I recall, the juniors used to go mostly on Saturday afternoon, although I used to go more often than that. I was something of a chess addict.

At the larger tournaments like the Manitoba Open, I recall Abe and Harry Yanofsky both playing (I think that was the event.) They were strong events.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

There is a huge difference between chess in schools and actually making chess a part of the curriculum itself. The exciting part of the program the Telegraph article refers to is making chess part of the curriculum. This by the way is exactly what the Kasparov Chess Foundation is all about.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                    There is a huge difference between chess in schools and actually making chess a part of the curriculum itself. The exciting part of the program the Telegraph article refers to is making chess part of the curriculum. This by the way is exactly what the Kasparov Chess Foundation is all about.
                    Education is a provincial matter in Canada. Each province sets its own curriculum. I doubt you'd see even half of them participate. One would be a good start. If they can get it in the UK, good for them.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Here's yet another U.K. update, highlighting some of the 'softer skills' benefits of chess.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...year-olds.html

Comment

Working...
                      X