An opportunity to support IM Day's Toronto Star chess column

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An opportunity to support IM Day's Toronto Star chess column

The Toronto Star newspaper is currently doing an online survey through its website.

I took it the other day; 15 minutes long.

In one section, near the end, respondents have the opportunity to add whatever comments they wish, on any aspect of the Star or its website. I made some complimentary remarks on several writers, coverage, and so forth, pointed out a couple of possible improvements, and closed with a plea to keep IM Lawrence Day on chess, with some praise!!

Newspaper chess columns seem to be an endangered species these days, as they are often crowded out by Sudoku. I have enjoyed them since my teens, and make a point to read Lawrence's column whenever I can, either through buying the Saturday edition or catching up at the library when I have missed that issue. It's terrific! :)

Perhaps chesstalk readers can take some time to visit the Star's website, take the survey (it will pop up if you spend more than a minute or so there), and register their support for Day's column to continue, with some kind words of praise, well deserved. He has been at it since 1976, so is approaching 2,000 columns! :)

It would also be a worthwhile project for someone with time on their hands to put the best of these columns -- particularly the Canadian content ones -- into a more permanent and easily accessible format, to ensure their enduring historical worth.

Re: An opportunity to support IM Day's Toronto Star chess column

I looked at the Star's site http://www.thestar.com/ , but saw no reference to any kind of survey.

Comment

Hugh: It will pop up on the screen once you start navigating your way in.

Comment

Still nothing -even when I select several different items. My firewall/antivirus suppresses many popups - of which the survey may be one.

Comment

I went to the Star page and after several minutes no pop up appeared. I tried to click on a few links to see if that would wake it up to no avail. It could be my browser is blocking pop ups ...who knows

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
            The Toronto Star newspaper is currently doing an online survey through its website.
            I have a few shares of Torstar, which owns the Toronto Star. I hadn't heard the chess column is being considered for cancellation or I'd email Investor Relations.

The Toronto Star is gearing up for a pay wall from what I've been reading. It's about time because a newspaper was never meant to be free, in my opinion. The subscriptions pay for the columnists.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
              I looked at the Star's site http://www.thestar.com/ , but saw no reference to any kind of survey.
              https://surveys.angusreidforum.com/S...9&fromdetect=1

Yes -- it is a pop-up

Thanks for letting us know about this opportunity Mr. Dixon! :)

Comment

I filled out the survey via the link provided by Mark. However there was no fields to fill in that I saw to provide any info about Lawrence's column. oh well one can only spend so much time on these things. If the Star sacs the column I will res my subscription to the Star. Only defence!

Comment

Working...
                X