Candidates Rd. 9: Grischuk goes for the Gusto!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candidates Rd. 9: Grischuk goes for the Gusto!

In today's Candidates round 9, three of the four games have seen either the Queen's Gambit or Catalan played, with relatively placid, balanced positions. GM Kramnik has a decent edge against GM Carlsen in the Catalan, but the other games look drawish, with play in the middlegames, nearly three hours into the session.

Definitely not the case in Svidler vs Grischuk. :) In a crazy King's Indian Saemisch, similar to a Modern Benoni in many ways, Black sacked a piece in the opening, and then won White's Queen, and has since queened his own h-pawn! Well, it was no longer the h-pawn when he queened it, but no matter!

My question for the real chess mavens out there: how much of the Svidler -- Grischuk game has been previously seen in other games!?

Here is the link (one of many which will work):
    http://www.chessdom.com/candidates-2013-live/

The evaluation engine on this site has the position as dead even, with Black having a Q+R+R vs R+R+three minors for White, and both Kings lacking protection.

Re: Candidates Rd. 9: Grischuk goes for the Gusto!

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
    In today's Candidates round 9, three of the four games have seen either the Queen's Gambit or Catalan played, with relatively placid, balanced positions. GM Kramnik has a decent edge against GM Carlsen in the Catalan, but the other games look drawish, with play in the middlegames, nearly three hours into the session.

Definitely not the case in Svidler vs Grischuk. :) In a crazy King's Indian Saemisch, similar to a Modern Benoni in many ways, Black sacked a piece in the opening, and then won White's Queen, and has since queened his own h-pawn! Well, it was no longer the h-pawn when he queened it, but no matter!

My question for the real chess mavens out there: how much of the Svidler -- Grischuk game has been previously seen in other games!?

Here is the link (one of many which will work):
    http://www.chessdom.com/candidates-2013-live/

The evaluation engine on this site has the position as dead even, with Black having a Q+R+R vs R+R+three minors for White, and both Kings lacking protection.
    I think 12...Nxc4 was a complete novelty. Dead even probably means analyzed out to a perpetual 20 moves down the road.

Comment

Re: Candidates Rd. 9: Grischuk goes for the Gusto!

Thanks, Fred. It seems to be a Tal-like sacrifice! With incalculable long-term consequences, just like he used to love to spring on his opponents!

The game wound up drawn; I would have played on as Black, I think, but perhaps the time situation was the dominant factor, with both GMs having to do so much original thinking right out of the opening. Most exciting and original game to date in this event, I think! :)

And GM Gelfand defeated one of the two co-leaders, GM Aronian, in a precise technical double-rook endgame.

So, GM Carlsen is now in the sole lead after nine rounds, at +3.

With five rounds to go, really only GMs Carlsen, Aronian, and Kramnik are in real contention to win the tournament. But, strange things can happen!

Comment

Working...
      X