Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Creating a Media Release!

Good morning fellow Chessers :)

In about three weeks, the NL Chess Championships will begin, and I (along with a few other very helpful members) have been trying to make this a very prestigious tournament.

I would like to invite a few members of the media community to attend the opening ceremony, so I have been advised to submit a Media Release to the local TV networks, radio stations, and newspapers.

The problem is that I've never done this before, and I have no clue what to do. Could anyone (or more than one please :D) out there please give me some guidance?

The major improvements over past NL Opens that I am focusing on are: the inclusion of strong masters, such as former NL resident IM Aman Hambleton, and 5-time NL Champion FM Grant Spraggett, and; the venue being a local fishing and country club which will add a professional atmosphere of the event.

Also, the NL Open was formerly held on Labour Day weekend, so very few juniors would play as this was the last long weekend before school started. This year we aimed at having the tournament after the winter semester exams ended, so we are hoping for a junior contingent and, possibly, a junior prize.

Please either reply here, or feel free to e-mail chess (at) berson (dot) ca.

Thanks in advance!!! Jordan
    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Re: Need Help Creating a Media Release!

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post

In about three weeks, the NL Chess Championships will begin, and I (along with a few other very helpful members) have been trying to make this a very prestigious tournament.

I would like to invite a few members of the media community to attend the opening ceremony, so I have been advised to submit a Media Release to the local TV networks, radio stations, and newspapers.

The problem is that I've never done this before, and I have no clue what to do. Could anyone (or more than one please :D) out there please give me some guidance?

The major improvements over past NL Opens that I am focusing on are: the inclusion of strong masters, such as former NL resident IM Aman Hambleton, and 5-time NL Champion FM Grant Spraggett, and; the venue being a local fishing and country club which will add a professional atmosphere of the event.

Also, the NL Open was formerly held on Labour Day weekend, so very few juniors would play as this was the last long weekend before school started. This year we aimed at having the tournament after the winter semester exams ended, so we are hoping for a junior contingent and, possibly, a junior prize.

Why don't you try Bob Armstrong. He's the CFC Media Co-ordinator. His e-mail address is available at the CFC site or I can send it to you.

Comment

Hi Jordan:

Send me your e-mail - to bobarm@sympatico.ca.

I'll send you a copy of my last press release on Eric Hansen. May help with format.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        Hi Jordan:

Send me your e-mail - to bobarm@sympatico.ca.

I'll send you a copy of my last press release on Eric Hansen. May help with format.

Bob
        E-mail sent, and thanks!!
        No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Hi Jordan:

You have mail!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post

You may want to try https://charityvillage.com/Content.a...lines&last=137 and other articles at www.charityvillage.com

Gary Gladstone

Comment

Ask Paul Leblanc. The one he did for the GPO is here http://www.vicnews.com/neighbourhood...88381481237582

Published and everything.

Comment

I tried mass mailing press releases a couple of years ago and it's not effective in big cities like Toronto. There has been cutbacks to staff and no so many reporters/photographers to send around and often their schedules are booked weeks in advance.

It's important to build relationships with editors/journalists over time, get an advocate for chess on the inside, perhaps a chess parent. What local news media shows on TV/radio/print/internet do you like? Which reporters do you think would be great to cover chess? Address your press release to those individuals would get a better response.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_i...d_and_Labrador

I've had a reporter ask me why do I want press coverage? It doesn't add to the game or collect spectator fees. From their viewpoint, what makes your chess event newsworthy to nonchessplayers? What is so important to mention? Is this a historic event, The strongest ever [has Morgan Mills been invited?] ? Is there a best time to come by to take photos, an opening ceremony, blindfold simult, or fireworks? Is mayor Fagan, MHA David Brazil, John Crosbie, or actor Shawn Doyle [GM in Endgame TV show] going to make the opening move on a set recovered from the Titanic? Is there a person assigned to answer press questions, show them around and arrange player interviews?

What kind of local press attention has chess gotten recently? The most frequent chess news item in Canada is in community papers with a picture of one kid who is winning above his or her peers. Is there such a player in your event? Is the smartest person in the province playing? Is there a senior who has prevented Alzheimer's? Is there a girl taking on the boys? Is this a diverse event with champions from the regions? Is this the peak event of a chess boom?

http://nonprofit.about.com/od/mediar...essrelease.htm

www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Press-Release

http://www.danielleadams.com/29_Poin...eate_an_E.html

Comment

You're almost better off doing a report after the event, in hopes that they will publish that as a special report. The chances of them sending a reporter to do a story are not very great; unless, as has been pointed out, you have some kind of special interest angle to lure them in. Media outlets are flooded with press releases and probably spend about five seconds deciding on whether to cover an event, as a result.

Plus you can put your superior punctuation skills to good use in writing your own story. :)

Comment

Working...
                  X