Ontario Youth Chess Championships (OYCC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario Youth Chess Championships (OYCC)

The OYCC is coming up!
    April 27/28
    Kitchener City Hall.
    Website is online at: www.oycc.ca :D
    Pre-registered list is up at the site too. :D:D

Registration is off to a great start!
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald

:D********;)

Re: Ontario Youth Chess Championships (OYCC)

... Still 4 weeks to go and already 50 players ...

www.oycc.ca

Check it out, tell your chess friends, make sure your local Ontario youth chess players know all about it.

Like us on Facebook ... :D

This year looks like it will be another great event!
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald

Comment

Registrations are coming in every day ... we are up to 60 players already!

I hope we won't have to cut registration off if we reach a maximum ... I am investigating additional space that may be available at Kitchener City Hall ... but just in case, register soon ...

www.oycc.ca
      ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
      Patrick McDonald

Comment

Two weeks to go ...

Closing in on 100 entries (will probably pass the 100 mark this weekend)

http://www.oycc.ca

If you are having trouble registering, please either download the Excel registration form from the site or at least send me an email with the registration information. (Email address is on the site ...)

Looks like we will have another great event this year.

(This year we have a few unclaimed bursaries from last year added to the bursary fund for this year so more people can expect to receive bursaries to help with the costs of attending the CYCC!) :)
        ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
        Patrick McDonald

Comment

... currently at 125 registered ...
          we are now into the last few days for registrations ...

You need to be pre-registered to play in the OYCC

www.oycc.ca
          ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
          Patrick McDonald

Comment

... we just broke one of our records! We have more players in the Under 14 Open section than have ever played in an OYCC before!
            Now, on to the next record ...
            ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
            Patrick McDonald

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick McDonald View Post
              ... we just broke one of our records! We have more players in the Under 14 Open section than have ever played in an OYCC before!
              Now, on to the next record ...
              Nine of the thirty one in the open under 14 are from the Windsor area. I estimate about 34 Windsor kids are on the OYCC preregistered list with a few of the usual suspects still procrastinating before adding their names to the list. We could break 40 Windsor area kids at OYCC this year which is pretty good considering that half the schools had no chess clubs due to the public school teachers' extracurricular activity strike.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                I estimate about 34 Windsor kids are on the OYCC preregistered list with a few of the usual suspects still procrastinating before adding their names to the list.
                Vlad, that's very impressive. I see 14 kids from Mississauga club. I think that is double last year, but shy of the 20 I had hoped for.

Comment

In 2008 there were 44 Windsor players and 19 Chatham players at the OYCC. I haven't kept stats consistently, but I think there were more in 2010.

As the YCC system gets more established, I suspect that some players will bypass OYCC in favour of going direct from YCC to CYCC.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                    As the YCC system gets more established, I suspect that some players will bypass OYCC in favour of going direct from YCC to CYCC.
                    Yes, of course there will be some kids who bypass the OYCC and go directly to the CYCC, but overall, the OYCC will not suffer as a result. Before the qualifier system, the OYCC was not a prerequisite for the CYCC anyway. Kids went there because it was the big event in Ontario. It still is.

I tell the Mississauga kids to go to the OYCC as a great tuneup for the CYCC. It has the longer time controls like the CYCC, whereas most qualifiers are active. Besides, the OYCC numbers are flourishing in concert with the YCC qualifier system. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                      Besides, the OYCC numbers are flourishing in concert with the YCC qualifier system. :D
                      Hi Bob G:

Do we yet venture the opinion that those who wanted the YCC system introduced, were right that it would lead to greater junior participation overall, and likely increase the CYCC numbers?

I realize that it has still not been embraced by some provincial associations yet, but we are starting to get in some evidence on this.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                        In 2008 there were 44 Windsor players and 19 Chatham players at the OYCC. I haven't kept stats consistently, but I think there were more in 2010.

I may be missing some but last year we had 31 kids from Windsor at OYCC versus 34 so far this year so the teachers strike may have slowed us down but not to the point that it was noticeable. Twenty seven are kids that are quite familiar to me. There are seven kids who are new to me but I watched some of them play at the Chess Challenge playoffs and some of them played quite well. Well enough anyway to be a threat against some of our regular kids.

The big difference is that more of the kids going are regular tournament goers and take lessons either in classes or individual lessons or both. There are quite a few familiar Chatham names both this year and last.

Comment

Liza Orlova gave a simul at the OYCC at Kitchener City Hall on Sunday April 28th. She did an excellent job and created quite a buzz. Her ability to promote chess is far greater than mine (I was the other simul giver) and I commend her on that. My abilities to promote chess are not too shabby but Im just another tired old white guy. (and Im ok with that) It was nice to see some of the regular coaches and organizers there, John Coleman, the Plotkins, Mikhail, the Giblons (congrats again Andrew!) Hal Bond and many others. Congrats to Patrick for putting on another fantastic event.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                            Liza Orlova gave a simul at the OYCC at Kitchener City Hall on Sunday April 28th. She did an excellent job and created quite a buzz. Her ability to promote chess is far greater than mine (I was the other simul giver) and I commend her on that. My abilities to promote chess are not too shabby but Im just another tired old white guy. (and Im ok with that) It was nice to see some of the regular coaches and organizers there, John Coleman, the Plotkins, Mikhail, the Giblons (congrats again Andrew!) Hal Bond and many others. Congrats to Patrick for putting on another fantastic event.
                            Hans, I guess I should have come for the sunday simul instead! :( LOL
                            Anyhow, Liza will be doing another simul at the Ontario Girls Championship in Mississauga in 2 weeks. It is also a CYCC qualifier, so all the girls who missed the cut this weekend get another shot at it in 2 weeks. :)

Comment

U12 Girls
                              1 Mathanhe Kaneshalingam

LOL
                              Last Monday after several informal games I told her that she would win :D She just smiled. Now I smile :)

Comment

Working...
                              X