Carlsen v. Anand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlsen v. Anand

An incredible final round. At the outset, the situation was this: Kramnik and Carlsen were tied but on tie-break Carlsen would win. Thus both Kramnik and Carlsen felt obliged to press for the win and the unthinkable happened: both lost their games, Carlsen to Svidler and Kramnik to Ivanchuk. Thus Carlsen will play for the world championship against Anand this Fall.
    A great day for world chess.

Re: Carlsen v. Anand

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
    An incredible final round. At the outset, the situation was this: Kramnik and Carlsen were tied but on tie-break Carlsen would win. Thus both Kramnik and Carlsen felt obliged to press for the win and the unthinkable happened: both lost their games, Carlsen to Svidler and Kramnik to Ivanchuk. Thus Carlsen will play for the world championship against Anand this Fall.
    A great day for world chess.
    I think I like the match-up Carlsen-Anand a lot better than if Kramnik had become the challenger; I think the chances of a boring title match are far less if Carlsen is the challenger! Anand certainly has his work cut out for him - although Magnus has work to do on certain openings... and maybe he can get some time pressure advice from Ivanchuk
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      I think I like the match-up Carlsen-Anand a lot better than if Kramnik had become the challenger; I think the chances of a boring title match are far less if Carlsen is the challenger! Anand certainly has his work cut out for him - although Magnus has work to do on certain openings... and maybe he can get some time pressure advice from Ivanchuk
      The last few rounds of the Candidates was like watching world class curling where the players don't lose the gold. They win the silver and bronze.

If Carlsen choked in the final few rounds, how will he fare in a match with Anand? An interesting question.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Anand will show his experience and win the match by one game.
        No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

It was a dramatic anticlimax!

Finales are not always pretty. Who else could under perform and still win the candidates?

I think it's a tribute to the field that Carlsen and Kramnik were ushered out so harshly, and kudos to Ivanchuk!

Hopefully the sponsors are happy.

Comment

Hope to see Hal as the arbiter for the match!

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
              I think it's a tribute to the field that Carlsen and Kramnik were ushered out so harshly
              I keep picturing Peter and Chucky sharing a beer at the pub that night smiling, and Peter saying "Well, we might not have won the tournament, but we sure showed them we can be spoilers! Cheers.":D

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
                I keep picturing Peter and Chucky sharing a beer at the pub that night smiling, and Peter saying "Well, we might not have won the tournament, but we sure showed them we can be spoilers! Cheers.":D
                Svidler had a great tournament, as well as being a spoiler. He finished tied 3rd/4th with Aronian! I think he can be quite pleased to have shown he is not over the hill quite yet.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                X