What is the B.C. (excluding Victoria) situation with regards to scholastic chess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the B.C. (excluding Victoria) situation with regards to scholastic chess?

I must confess that I have not been following this for some time. Only when Kerry Liles and Mark Dutton posted above in the Michael Kleinman thread did I realize something has changed. So I did a little research today.

From what I have gathered in very little time (and I could be totally wrong), basically the CFC and the head of BC Junior Chess got into a spat with regards to the 2012 CYCC when B.C. did not require CFC membership for the event from participants.

Now it appears that BC Junior Chess rates all their scholastic events exclusively with the North West Rating System (NWRS) which is based in Washington State.... can anyone enlighten me?

Larry

Re: What is the B.C. (excluding Victoria) situation with regards to scholastic chess?

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

Now it appears that BC Junior Chess rates all their scholastic events exclusively with the North West Rating System (NWRS) which is based in Washington State.... can anyone enlighten me?

Larry
    That is correct (that is, the organization headed by Ken Jensen currently rates their events with NWRS).

This is mostly as a result of the crackdown on active scholastic events not being regular rated anymore. He objects strongly.

Comment

Re: What is the B.C. (excluding Victoria) situation with regards to scholastic chess?

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
      That is correct (that is, the organization headed by Ken Jensen currently rates their events with NWRS).

This is mostly as a result of the crackdown on active scholastic events not being regular rated anymore. He objects strongly.
      Thanks Roger!

Can you enlighten us on the 2012 CYCC where CFC membership (based on what I have read) was not required?

Larry

Comment

Thanks Roger!

Can you enlighten us on the 2012 CYCC where CFC membership (based on what I have read) was not required?

Larry
        It was required. It just wasn't enforced by the organizer who even discouraged the people who wanted to renew from renewing. Apparently the website version of the handbook was not quite complete and up to date.

Water under the bridge now...

Comment

Thanks Roger!

Larry
          The CFC handbook, at the time, did not specify that CFC membership was required for the CYCC. It did specify that all junior events did not require CFC membership and games would be rated for $0.50 sans membership.

Ken took the position that the handbook took precedence over what various other people thought should be the rule. (and he has a similar position for YCC qualifying events).

Comment

Ken took the position that the handbook took precedence over what various other people thought should be the rule. (and he has a similar position for YCC qualifying events).
            I think too that the CFC membership is not required for YCC qualifying events. Only the tournament MUST be CFC rated (quick or regular, depending on the tournament time control).

Comment

The CFC handbook, at the time, did not specify that CFC membership was required for the CYCC. It did specify that all junior events did not require CFC membership and games would be rated for $0.50 sans membership.

"Various Other People" = CFC Executive

This year the CFC Executive, a little less forgiving this time, decided that the BC YCC would simply not be considered a valid qualifier, when the organizer again did not comply with the published rules (on the CYCC site). That decision did not come easy, and is made with the expectation that Youth from that tournament wanting to come to Ottawa will still find the means to do so.

Comment

I love a good battle with a province. I wouldn't do it but it's fun to watch.

Fighting over kids chess and how they are rated is kind of pathetic, in my view, but maybe I'm out of touch with things.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                X