Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anand on the Candidates Tournament

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    A win is like 3 points, and a draw is only 1 in this break-tie. Some tournaments use it as the main criteria. Thus it is not so bad. Magnus already learned hard way about this nuance in Biel'12 :D
    It strikes me as desirable that wins be counted for more in a tiebreak system than a similar point count in draws. Desirable because so many fans/spectators want more decisive games in top level chess. We do want more interest in chess, and trying to please the 'bloodthirsty' gallery in at least this way (i.e. via such tiebreaking criteria) is the least that can be done. :D

I don't so much like counting wins as 3 points and draws as only 1 point as far as a game is scored in the crosstable during an event though - that goes against the traditional rules of scoring, i.e. it's practically a change to the basic rules of the game. This I suppose would displease a lot of the same fans we hope to gain/keep, who I suppose are mostly traditionalists.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Saturday, 6th April, 2013, 09:47 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Great posting - thank you!
      Good to know what the soon to be 50 years old Mr. Kasparov had to say about The Candidates. Looks like Ivanchuk got the most praise and honours. Garry knows better!

Comment

Kasparov’s quote that Lev Aronian was not ready for the struggle in the Candidates has appeared in the Armenian press and on Polgar’s blog spot.

Going in to the tournament, it was seen to be a two-horse race with him and Carlsen but now his currency has dropped like a rock. Yet, he tied for 3-4 places.

Perhaps this is only an immediate reaction and nobody is really writing off his world championship chances for the future but he seems like the forgotten man right now.

Comment

Lev Aronian and Vassily Ivanchuk on their performances in the Candidates (from chess-news.ru). Nothing new, but the responses show the present moods of the players.

Saturday, 06.04.2013

GM Levon Aronian gave an interview to the Azerbaijani newspaper Echo summarizing his performance in the Candidates tournament:

"The main in the tournament was to take the first place, I failed to do that. There were a lot of crucial moments in the competition. The game I lost against Peter Svidler [in Round 11 – Chess-news] had a certain importance for me. I played terribly that game and exactly after it I felt demoralized and extremely unhappy with my play.

Of course I was upset that I couldn't compete for the first place but I also can't say that I deserved the win with the play I showed. In general, the tournament was unsuccessful for me. Well, I played quite good in the first half of the tournament, but the competition has a second cycle too."

Aronian hopes to compete for the title in future:

"I don't consider myself so to say old. I will try to show my best play and at the same time I will change the things, which I consider to be important for me now. Sometimes I'm trying to catch up with too many things. Perhaps it'd be better to make my preparation more certain and pay attention to more important things.
          +++++++++

GM Vassily Ivanchuk got back to Lviv, Ukraine after the Candidates tournament and before the Russian League he's been looking forward to. The Ukrainian GM gave a short interview to the local newspaper Vysoki Zamok.

He didn't sound upset, "That's not a tragedy! This was a tournament full of the strongest players of the world and it was a great pleasure to compete with them. I managed to defeat both winners, which wasn't an easy job to do. They didn't make mistakes, which sometimes take place even in the strongest players' games: I outplayed them at the board finding the strongest moves. The encounter against Carlsen lasted for more than 90 moves, the one against Kramnik was a bit shorter. The opponents tried to find the escape but the both failed to do so. Such victories bring a great pleasure. [...] This was a tournament in which only the first place was counted. Magnus became the winner, but I am the only one of those 8 players who managed to beat him 1.5-0.5."

Let us remind you, Ivanchuk will play for the Saratov Economist in the Russian Team Championship, which starts tomorrow.
          Last edited by Wayne Komer; Sunday, 7th April, 2013, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Re: Ivanchuk's quote regarding his 2nd round wins over Carlsen and Kramnik:

"They didn't make mistakes, which sometimes take place even in the strongest players' games: I outplayed them at the board finding the strongest moves."

Does this really ever happen in chess, that the loser didn't make any mistakes? Is it even possible? One can delude oneself into thinking that the play was forced, but analysis always finds that the loser made a mistake somewhere, however tiny, and that there was an equalizing or even winning move that was missed. I have never yet seen an analysis that showed that the loser played perfect moves yet still lost.
            Only the rushing is heard...
            Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
              I have never yet seen an analysis that showed that the loser played perfect moves yet still lost.
              Yet you seem capable of making grammatical mistakes...

Comment

I would guess Ivanchuk may have intended to say 'obvious' mistakes.
                Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Working...
                X