X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Perfect Chess Game

In another thread in ChessTalk, on the Candidates, this appeared:

Ivanchuk's quote regarding his 2nd round wins over Carlsen and Kramnik:

"They didn't make mistakes, which sometimes take place even in the strongest players' games: I outplayed them at the board finding the strongest moves."

Does this really ever happen in chess, that the loser didn't make any mistakes? Is it even possible? One can delude oneself into thinking that the play was forced, but analysis always finds that the loser made a mistake somewhere, however tiny, and that there was an equalizing or even winning move that was missed. I have never seen an analysis that showed that the loser played perfect moves yet still lost.
    (P.B.)
    +++++++++

I read the above over several times because it is a topic I thought about a lot in my student days when I wanted to show, in a science fiction short story, the public reaction to a computer which played a perfect game. Never wrote it though.

Let us suppose that white’s first move is e4. If both players now play the “best” moves, is the advantage of first move enough to ensure that white always wins? Or is it always a draw?

By best move, I don’t mean that other moves are necessarily mistakes or errors – they are just not optimal in a perfect game. These are not easily proved good or bad, whereas an obvious error will be pointed out loudly by everyone within a ten-metre radius!

Until chess is completely solved by a computer, we shall not know the answer. I think we all have a feeling that e4 or d4 (say) are the best first moves and that h3 is not. There may be some algorithm that drastically cuts the number of lines to be considered down and which leads to a probable answer.

The answer will not affect the practical player to any extent – he will play his repertoire as before. The question is more in the realm of philosophy. I would be very surprised if Emanuel Lasker has not considered it somewhere in his writings. There are books on chess philosophy by Benjamin Hale, Dr. Fritz Siebert and Josef Seifert, among others, which may set the problem out more clearly than I can. This lets me out of explaining what an optimal move is (see above).

On the mathematical side, this seems to be the last word:

I found an article by John MacQuarrie that references work by the "father of game theory" Ernst Friedrich Ferdinand Zermelo. It draws the following conclusion:

In chess either white can force a win, or black can force a win, or both sides can force at least a draw.

The logic seems sound to me.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...ithm-for-chess
    +++++++++

Four years ago there was an extended discussion on chess.com about the perfect game:

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/gene...ct-game?page=1

Some comments:
    - One must wonder, however, if having the first move would prove supreme assuming perfect play from both sides.
    - My belief is that the first move advantage that white has is not a sufficient advantage to be able to guarantee a win.
    - There is a best move in any given situation. Theoretically, if that best move were played every time for both sides, who would win?
    - No one. It would be a draw.
    - Viewers of this topic may be interested in the US player Hans Berliner's remarks in connection with the Fifth World Correspondence Championship which he won by a margin of 3 points (score 14/16) over his nearest rivals: "Correspondence chess can be nearly perfect chess, and I am by nature a perfectionist."
    - It is strongly believed that perfect play for both sides would result in a draw, but it has never been conclusively proven and won't be until computers are far stronger than they are today.
    - Playing a perfect game is easy. It's been done many times. Like those boring symmetrical games in the Exchange Slav where nothing special happens that end in a draw after 15 moves.
    - I also am not one that believes there is a "best move" in all positions. There are many positions in which 2, or more, moves may be equal and which move is chosen often depends on the player choosing the move. In an equal position with several equal candidate moves to choose from a player like Alekhine would almost certainly choose a different move than a player like Capablanca. The choice often depends on a player’s preferred style of play.
    ++++++++++

I have not considered that white may have a forced loss from the first, so I rather like Crowl, who rebelled against conventional wisdom (from Edward Winter’s Chess Notes):

From page 132 of the 1 July 1946 issue of C.J.S. Purdy’s magazine Chess World:

‘Frank A. Crowl, the Australian Nimzowitsch, as we long ago dubbed him, is a player who cares absolutely nothing for orthodox theories. Even the almost universally accepted idea that White has an advantage by moving first is contradicted by him. Inspired by some articles in the old Wiener Schachzeitung (a great chess fortnightly [sic] which died when Hitler acquired Austria), he believes that the perfect game of chess would be won by Black. No-one can prove the contrary.’
    ++++++++

Has anyone played a perfect or nearly perfect game?

Two candidates are:

Karpov-Kavalek, Nice Olympiad 1974

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lubomi..._b_926418.html

and

The perfect game is Réti-Kostić, Teplitz, 1922 (Irving Chernev)

Re: The Perfect Chess Game

I once played a game that lasted into the middlegame, at which point a symmetrical position arose and a draw was agreed to. Can't claim it represents the 'perfect' game though.

I had a similar argument with Bob A. on this board a while ago about what perfect play might be. I argued it might be considered to depend on the (initial?) objective of both players involved. If both of them want a draw, for example, then the perfect game (if the organizer allows it) would at least be a handshake before move one - the minimum number of moves required to achieve the desired result. When at least one side wishes to win, they need to drag out the (perfect?) game the maximum number of moves, without a clear 'mistake' being made.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Monday, 8th April, 2013, 11:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
      I think we all have a feeling that e4 or d4 (say) are the best first moves and that h3 is not.
      On the other hand, the initial move 1. h3 might be as good a move as any other. It is, in effect, like playing Black but with an extra move thrown in. After playing 1. h3, and your opponent plays 1.... d5 or 1.... e5, you are now really playing Black, but with one extra wing pawn move thrown in. Would this stop you from getting a draw if you played perfect moves thereafter?

Even more fascinating from this perspective would be 1. Nh3 or 1. Na3. Either of these moves would be far more long-term in effect, as now the Knight is aiming at f4 (c4) or f2 (c2), where it will have a much different say in opening theory than usual. And in this case, "different" may mean "weaker".
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Wikipedia has a definition of perfect play, which ends with this sentence:

If there are multiple options with the same outcome, perfect play is sometimes considered the fastest method leading to a good result, or the slowest method leading to a bad result.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_play#Perfect_play
        +++++++

I have been looking at the famous game Kasparov vs The Rest of the World, Internet 1999. There were some positions so complex that neither Kasparov nor The World could find the best moves in the time allotted. Subsequent computer analysis has helped plumb their depths.

For black’s 54th move, there were three possibilities considered. We now know that two moves would lead to a theoretical draw and the third would lose by force with perfect play on both sides in 82 moves!

Comes the move 54.... b4, which is not an obvious inaccuracy, and then both sides could play like gods for 82 more moves and black would still go down to defeat. This is the “perfect play” defined above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endgame_tablebase

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasparov_versus_The_World
        +++++++++++

When I was much younger, I thought that we had solved most of the complexities of our game. Recently, I watched several of the super-grandmasters at the Candidates asking Anastasia Karlovich at the press conference what the computer recommended in difficult positions in their games just completed (e.g. Kramnik-Gelfand, Rd 13). Clearly the game is still beating us.

Comment

Working...
        X