Chennai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chennai

'Twould appear that Anand gets the home field 'advantage' in Chennai come November (6th to 26th).

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/182016...players-elated

Re: Chennai

From a currency page on the Internet – Large amounts of Indian Rupees are expressed in crore Rupees and a crore Rupee is ten million Rupees.

At the present rate Rs29 crore is 290,000,000 INR or 5,385,147 CAD.

The newsstory has Rs.29 crore and I cannot tell whether that is a misprint or another way of expressing the above.

http://coinmill.com/CAD_INR.html#INR=290000000

Comment

Didn't there used to be an unwritten rule that WC matches are to be played on neutral ground? I'd be surprised if Carlsen agreed to play in Anand's 'back yard'. Of course if there are no financially viable alternatives, 'money talks'.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
        Didn't there used to be an unwritten rule that WC matches are to be played on neutral ground? I'd be surprised if Carlsen agreed to play in Anand's 'back yard'. Of course if there are no financially viable alternatives, 'money talks'.
        Are you assuming that either player has a say in this - in IllusionOf's planet chess? It would not surprise me that FIDE would "award" Chennai the match (mostly due to granting first refusal as a result of the previous screw-up).

If both players refuse to play, IllusionOf would declare himself the champion...

If either player refuses to play, the other retains/becomes champion.

I don't think Anand would refuse to play in Chennai although he has stated that there is slightly more pressure playing at home.

A classic stalemate.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I don't think that either player is so wealthy that the prize fund will not be a factor in how favourably they view the bid. Unlike Fischer in 1975, I don't think either player is under the influence of a doomsday cult which leads them to believe the world will end in the very near future. Is this not the biggest prize fund in World Championship history?

Comment

Chennai to host Anand-Carlsen Match

(from Chess Vibes April 8, 2013)

Earlier today Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa said that her state "will host the World Chess Championship this November" between reigning champion from India Viswanathan Anand and the challenger Norway's Magnus Carlsen. Last year FIDE offered the All Indian Chess Federation a "first option" to bid for the match, when the Anand-Gelfand match was awarded to Moscow.

On Monday at 17:00 local time in Chennai, India a press meeting was arranged in connection with the World Championship Match 2013 between Vishy Anand and Magnus Carlsen. As a result, several media in India have today reported that the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister, Ms. Jayalalithaa, announced that Chennai will be hosting the match – that's right, not bidding for, but hosting it. An amount of Rs 29 crore was mentioned, which is a bit over 4 million Euros.

Speculation about the host city has been in full swing more or less from the moment that Vladimir Kramnik resigned his game against Vassily Ivanchuk in London last week, and Magnus Carlsen won the Candidates' Tournament. In the past few days several cities in Norway expressed interest in hosting the match, as the President of the Norwegian Chess Federation, Jøran Aulin-Jansson, told us.

Carlsen's manager, Espen Agdestein, was quoted by Nettavisen as saying it would be "exciting" to have the match in Norway, and "not optimal" to have to play in India. To VG, one of Carlsen's sponsors, he said they "preferred neutral ground". NRK quoted Børge Robertsen, who is responsible for the organization of the World Cup in 2013 and the Olympiad in 2014 in Tromsø: "We are fully capable of organizing [the match]."
            However, it all seemed to depend on the Indians. Last year Chennai placed what seemed to be a winning bid to host the Anand-Gelfand match, but eventually this match was awarded to Moscow. The Russians had initially offered a lower bid but in the end came up with a bigger prize fund. When the final decision was made, the All Indian Chess Federation was promised to have a "first option" to bid for the next World Championship match. FIDE wrote in its press release:

In view of the commitment shown by the AICF and the appreciation of FIDE towards the development of chess in India, the AICF would be given a first option of three months following the match in Moscow, to make a proposal for the organization of the World Chess Championship Match 2013.

It seems that the AICF was given much more time than "three months following the match in Moscow", because FIDE is taking today's bid seriously. Treasurer and Executive Director Nigel Freeman told us that FIDE will be sending someone, as soon as visas allow, to Chennai to finalise the details. They were offered an option, which they have taken up, for the dates as per the calendar.

We'll have to wait and see whether FIDE will indeed accept the Chennai bid this time. What happens when a higher bid pops up from the Norwegians or elsewhere? It does seem more likely that the match will actually be taking place on the scheduled dates, which are 6-26 November 2013.

Comments

- I am surprised that the players' wishes, in particular the challenger, don't take priority.

- Wow. Talk about a location that absolutely nobody would want - not Carlsen, not Anand, not chess fans. Let's hope this is just an "aspirational" announcement, as we've seen so often before. Even Khanty Mansiysk would be better.

- And what (censored) would you know about Chennai or any part of India for that matter?

- I'm also old enough to remember the Anand-Kamsky match in Sanghi Nagar; you can google that. And then look up what Anand had to say after the match.

http://www.chessvibes.com/

Comment

Further Comments on the Chennai Venue from Chess Vibes

- One thing is for sure if the match takes place in Chennai. Carlsen will find the going very tough, even the weather is something he may not have experienced. Close to 40+ degrees all the time and intense heat, which is why most people of the south of India mostly wear 'lungi', which is light cloth draped over the body just sufficient to cover oneself and allow the skin to breathe so to speak.

- What is the weather like in Chennai in November? What season is it even?

- I've reported many announcements as to World Chess Championship venues, even definitive ones, Over 50% of them were changed. But Chennai certainly acted fast. They couldn't have been expected to bid until the challenger was known but now a week later they have the money. Pretty serious bid in my view.

- A quick google (Trademark) "chennai weather november" gave me about 29 degrees daily high throughout the month, and moderate rain. Sounds nice.

- Assuming that Wikipedia is correct, average daily temperature range for Chennai in November is 22.6-29.4 degrees Celsius (record high 34 degrees). Certainly not 40+ degrees all the time, which isn't even the case in high summer. It seems to be the rainy season - which in the tropics usually means short but heavy showers.

For comparison, Tromso in November has usually temperatures around zero and just a little bit of daylight. That's the only Norwegian bid I heard of, "several cities are interested" is new to me.

- The weather is not too bad in November in Chennai. It might just be a bit humid. March-May is an uncomfortable time, especially for someone who is not used to that kind of weather. Personally I've mixed feelings about Chennai. I'm glad that India is hosting it, but I think Anand does not handle the home pressure very well and Magnus will not be very comfortable about a new, unknown place. They might have more on their minds than chess.

- Good point, Tromsö in November might be a bit dark. Maybe they can share: One half in the Indian monsoon, the other in the polar night.

- I don't think anybody is saying that India wouldn't be a good place for the match to be held from a spectator's point of view.

However, since the champion is actually from India it's not surprising that challenger might not be too happy with the proposal. I would be similarly unsurprised if a bid from Norway was received cooly by Anand. Although to be fair, he has shown in the past that he is not afraid to play on non-neutral ground.

I would say that FIDE have again made a mistake of committing themselves to something that is not necessarily in the best interest of the players. As a result they have left themselves open to criticism and the danger of the situation blowing up embarrassingly for them.

Perhaps in future they should try to take the old advice of sitting on their hands to avoid making hasty moves.

Bad location. India is not neutral ground. It is Anand's home country. Move to a decent location, please.

- The weather will be sunny....it’s no different than Florida. So get your sunscreen folks. And yes there are air-conditioned hotels ...its not like you are walking into the stone age or something.

- It's actually rainy season in November. 400mm = 16 inches in one month. Sunblock not required.

Comment

Have not seen a FIDE announcement though...
                If true :Why there ? There is 5 million people in little patch 12km by 12km!!

I know is a Tamil area and Vichy is TAmil but...

Comment

Anand is a favourite son and the match will focus world-wide attention on the Tamil Nadu State.

“This decision is a big boon for sports in general and chess in particular not only in the State but the whole of India”

Think of the prestige – think of the money!

The prize money will be $2.55 million (approx. Rs. 14 crore).

Comment

Glad that there is already a bid but lets hope FIDE allows bidding to be open. This is the most anticipated match in many years and I am optimistic that other bids will come forth.

Comment

“Since All India Chess Federation or India has exercised its right, there will be no opening of bid by FIDE for this match. FIDE officials are expected to reach India in the next week and complete the formalities of staging the match.”

http://www.asianchess.com/news/view/...-26-at-chennai

Comment

Is this the first time a world championship match has been held in Asia? If so a celebration is in order! I for one would be happy to travel to India to enjoy a phenomenal visit and the different culture and take in the match, if economic circumstances permitted. Magnus has 22 yr old mental powers - so for him bring it on! Its part of being young and having adventures. The rest of the world doesnt matter - they can all follow it online.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                          Is this the first time a world championship match has been held in Asia?
                          Karpov-Korchnoi, Baguio City 1978 (Philippines)

Comment

I posted without checking (a chessplayers weakness) Mea culpa! (I think I should start worrying about my memory)

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                              Is this the first time a world championship match has been held in Asia? If so a celebration is in order! I for one would be happy to travel to India to enjoy a phenomenal visit and the different culture and take in the match, if economic circumstances permitted. Magnus has 22 yr old mental powers - so for him bring it on! Its part of being young and having adventures. The rest of the world doesnt matter - they can all follow it online.
                              The match hasn't happened yet... :( In all this talk, I have not heard anything about Magnus' reaction - what if he does not approve of the venue?? (I must presume Anand would not object...)

Does either Magnus or Vishy have any input into the match arrangements? It seems (as usual) that the cult of IllusionOf is still handing out the purple koolaid.
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
                              X