Experts on the Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experts on the Candidates

Crestbook.com has an outstanding compilation in English of expert comments on the Candidates:

http://crestbook.com/en/node/1798

It is quite large – ten screens full on my computer- and worth saving for pleasure and reference.

Some extracts:

Emil Sutovsky

So the most amazing and enthralling tournament in modern chess history is over – an event that will long be remembered and to which more than one book will be dedicated (it’s funny that I already received such an offer before the tournament was over!). There were the most beautiful games, an utterly intense battle and a Hollywood storyline in the struggle for victory.

Ian Nepomniachtchi

Vladimir Kramnik played a fantastic tournament. If I’m honest it took me some time to grasp that at the start of the second half the Russian scored 4.5 out of 5! Perhaps he didn’t always act with mathematical precision, but none of the other candidates displayed such a determination to win. Alas, in the final round Vladimir’s thoughts were on two games at once, and he didn’t manage to maintain a cool head. After sowing the wind he couldn’t cope with the time trouble whirlwind. I watched the last game of the London tournament and felt very sorry for Kramnik, above all on a human level. Despite showing perhaps the most interesting and powerful play he ended up – due to an inconceivable sequence of events – millimetres behind the winner.

Alexander Sergeyevich Nikitin

Many will sing the praises of Magnus, but I’d like to celebrate Peter Svidler’s success and try to understand the reasons for Aronian’s failure. Levon finished the first half level with Magnus and far ahead of Kramnik, but it seemed as though the second half was played by some other chess player from the ranks of the 2600s. I was rooting for Levon – he was once in my “Spartak” school. I was worried and phoned my friend Genna Sosonko in London: “What’s happened to Levon?” He simply told me that a lot of Armenian journalists and TV personalities had arrived. There was no need for any more explanations. I’m familiar with all that from working with Kasparov in 1984-85 during the first two matches against Karpov. Aronian was crushed by a sense of responsibility for his country. It’s impossible to play at full strength in such a state. In the second half it was as if he’d been knocked out of the tournament.

Vladislav Tkachiev

I was brought up on Razuvaev and Murakhveri’s book on Rubinstein – and therefore I’m delighted by Kramnik. He demonstrated totally new ideas and new perspectives on theory. London was Kramnik’s best tournament for the last at least 15 years. I can only compare it to Novgorod… which it seems was in 1997.

If Kramnik really has played his last cycle now then I’m glad for the way he went about it. But if this isn’t his last cycle then that would also be good, because Vladimir is capable of giving chess more than he already has.

Sergey Shipov

Taken as a whole, however, the tournament made a big impression. I’ve seen nothing better in my lifetime!

I’m a little sceptical about the upcoming Anand-Carlsen match, as it’s unlikely to provide us with a lot of pleasure. Magnus will beat the champion! Perhaps he’ll even sweep him away, particularly if he prepares even a little in the opening. The forces aren’t well-matched.
    However, I’d gladly be mistaken.

Re: Experts on the Candidates

I wish we had our experts as well commenting on Chesstalk about the Candidates results and the tournament itself.
    Somewhow surprising to me, Magnus seems to be viewed by most experts the strong favourite against Vishy. While I took Magnus as favourite in London due to his string of wins in recent super tournaments, the match for the title is a different affair. Vishy is a recognized genius and a champion in all formats, including a round robin. He stood against all the great players of the last 25 years in important matches. He is a very wise man with a child's pleasure to play the game. The match will be tight.
    Not sure what Peter Nielsen's role will be in this match, as he switched camps from Anand to Carlsen. That's a very tricky unknown.

Comment

Re: Experts on the Candidates

I agree that it is fascinating stuff when the experts weigh in.

On the Crestbook site, Nikitin does not pull any punches. I am not sure I quite understand this paragraph from there. It seems like a dig at Vladimir for living outside the Soviet Union:

And one final point – also regarding Vladimir Borisovich. When playing against a super-grandmaster in the last and deciding round how could you choose the Pirc Defence, an opening that’s inadequate in a struggle between players at such a high level? From the very beginning that meant getting down on your knees and then unsuccessfully trying to compete with a powerful opponent who was free of the necessity of catching up with or overtaking anyone! I understand Kramnik spends the majority of his time in France, where his family lives, and therefore doesn’t know how difficult it is for us Russians to get up off our knees and how imperceptible the process is if you don’t watch our state television.

Comment

Working...
      X