Chess Tournament Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Tournament Idea

There is a local campsite on the St. Lawrence (roughly due South from Ottawa) that has a meeting room, with space for 40 players comfortably, 60 uncomfortably. I was wondering what sort of demand there would be for a tournament held at a campsite during a weekend in the summer. The plan is for 2014, probably July.

There is a motel a five-minute drive from the site and a number of restaurants and B and Bs about ten minutes away by car. The campsite itself has a mini-mart and a chip wagon.

Pluses:

- Who doesn't like fresh air and the great outdoors?
    - Inexpensive accommodation.
    - Two-minute walk from your home base to the tournament site.
    - Your wife/kids can come along and not be bored.
    - You can drive to the US for provisions in about 15 minutes.
    - You can drink beer between rounds and not have to drive to the game. ;-)
    - Blitz chess all-nighter with willing campers.

Minuses:

- Some people hate fresh air and the great outdoors. ;-)
    - Some people hate camping.
    - Many don't have tents or RVs/trailers.
    - The washrooms are in another building which is about a one-minute walk away.

Thoughts?
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Re: Chess Tournament Idea

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
    Thoughts?
    Probably you should talk with Larry about his last-year resort tournament (what, how, etc)

Otherwise it is an interesting adventure for fishing (if there are good access point to the river) & chess :D

Comment

Would you know about how long a drive from Ottawa it might be Tom?

Or whether there are any bus stops for buses from Ottawa or other cities/towns?
      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

A lovely idea Tom! I believe you could build it into something better than North Bay if you wanted to.:)

Comment

Oooooh - combining my most relaxing past-time (camping) with my most stressful (competitive chess).

Sign me up!!!!:D

Comment

Tom, interesting, slightly reminds me of Larry's awesome Laurentians gig last summer!

Does the washroom building have showers? If not, I would prolly prefer the motel, etc.

Comment

The drive is a little over an hour from say Nepean.

I don't believe there is a bus that runs even close to the tournament site. There are buses that run to Prescott (which is a ten-minute drive from the tournament site), but they are not daily.

The washrooms have showers attached, but there is a cost to taking a shower. It's $1 for a six-minute shower.
              "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Working...
              X