Kramnik Interview, Karpovian Weaknesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kramnik Interview, Karpovian Weaknesses

There is a long interview with Vladimir Kramnik given on the website of Natalia Pogonina:

http://pogonina.com/index.php?option...&&lang=english

I like the term “Karpovian weaknesses” in this bit:

“I would say that Carlsen is an improved version of Karpov”

VK: Yes, he reminds one of Karpov a lot. He also has certain weaknesses, which everyone, even the greatest players, have. Karpovian weaknesses, yes. They are hidden and very few, yet they still exist. Their styles are very similar. I would say that Carlsen is an improved version of Karpov. I have heard people say that his style is too dry, too positional. Partly that’s so. However, I believe that a person of his mastery can choose any style he likes. He should ask himself only. With such a high rating and skill, you know, no one should be telling him what to do. He is indeed an outstanding player. Like we say in such cases, “If you don’t like it, don’t watch”. He can play whatever way he likes to. 

MM: It is his soul playing…

VK: Yes, that’s the way he is. Cold-blooded, rather pragmatic, somewhat melancholic even. His chess is also swampy, laidback, choky/boa constrictor type. It doesn’t matter. For me personally, mastery is most important. His skills are remarkable. This is great. I think it’s a bonus that all the players have unique styles. I have one style, Aronian has a completely different style. Carlsen has the third variety. It is good for the game. This is interesting.

It is fun thinking of other eponymous chess terms like “Ivanchukian time-trouble” and “Svidlerian loquacity”!

Re: Kramnik Interview, Karpovian Weaknesses

I think very few, even masters, could choose to play like Tal.

Comment

Re: Kramnik Interview, Karpovian Weaknesses

You are right.

I think a Talian temperament comes from an inner fire, not by deliberate choice. I had a good friend, who threw everything at me, including the kitchen sink, in his attacks in our casual games. If he lost, he would stare at the board and say, “I needed just one more move, one more move to pull that off”. Then the pieces would be set up and he would try to pummel me into submission again.

How can you play with such intensity without eventually burning out?

Comment

Working...
      X