Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dallas 1957 - Abe Yanofsky

In the 2nd edition of Chess the Hard Way, Abe Yanofsky writes:

The year 1957 became a major highlight in my chess career. In the fall of that year, I was invited to play in a double-round, eight-man tournament in Dallas, Texas along with seven Grandmasters*. Not only was it a great honour for me to be invited, but I ended up achieving a fifty percent result against all the Grandmasters, scoring seven points out of fourteen, and winning against some of the greatest players in the world at that time.

He then gives four of his games: as white against Fridrik Olafsson, both with Samuel Reshevsky and as black against Larry Evans.

There is quite a nice group portrait of the participants in today’s installment of Chess Notes (Note 8036)

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/i...identification

Re : Dallas 1957 - Abe Yanofsky

All the games are available here : http://www.endgame.nl/dallas1957.htm

Comment

Re: Dallas 1957 - Abe Yanofsky

The way I remember it, Abe wasn't like today's professionals. He worked on his career away from chess.

I remember he played in the Manitoba Open in 1960 and 1961. I played in at least one of those and probably both. Still a junior back then. They were strong events with other strong players beside Abe. Jack Woodbury was a force to be reckoned with those days. I recall Abe would draw with him and I think it was both years. I wish I could find the tables from those events. I seem to recall Abe's brother Harry playing one year and Howard Rideout as well. Howard was still young and good back then. Myself and another kid used to play Howard at a coffee shop without knowing who he was. He always had time for us. Probably because we knew regular theory unlike a lot of the regular guys he played. He showed up at one of the events, not sure which year, and finished quite high. Howard and I remained friends for years as I met him again in Toronto.

I recall one game at a Manitoba Open where I was in a bad position and in time trouble. I claimed a draw by repetition of position against a good friend. Can't recall for sure but I think the rule might have been relatively new at the time. The draw was appealed and the appeals committee was called. Abe was on the appeals committee. They spent some time on the game and Abe told me I knew the rules better than I knew how to play. Personally, I consider the rules an important part of a game.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by gary Ruben View Post
        i Claimed A Draw By Repetition Of Position ... Abe Was On The Appeals Committee. ....abe Told Me I Knew The Rules Better Than I Knew How To Play. .
        Lol !!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
          Lol !!!!!!!!
          Based on that particular game he had a point. Still, a draw is a save.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
          X