Grand Prix Zug 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Prix Zug 2013

Grand Prix Zug 2013 is now underway and being carried live at ChessBomb.com. I expect some truly stellar chess given the presence of four of the game's most elite attackers, namely, Shakhriyar Mamedyarov, Alexander Morozevich, Hikaru Nakamura, and Veselin Topalov.

Of note, Radjabov now has tripled pawns in his game against Caruana (:

Re : Grand Prix Zug 2013

I wonder how Pal Benko feels upon hearing that his 1.g3 'Benko Opening' is referred to as a "very strange opening"?

From ChessBase:

Morozevich-Kasimdzhanov 1-0

Morozevich being the creative player that he is played a very strange opening that quickly paid off dividends. It seemed that Kasimdzhanov was a little lost on how to exactly handle the resulting position, and White's positional assets kept piling up. Eventually this became too much to handle: after establishing a strong pawn center and rounding up a weak pawn on the kingside, Morozevich obtained an advantage strong enough that it forced his opponent to resign.

Comment

Re: Grand Prix Zug 2013

You just have to look for the author of the annotations. So many grandmasters are playing "offbeat" openings to get an edge. Look at Nakamura. In my opinion (shared by many others) 1.g3 is a fine opening and maybe my next surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Maguire View Post
        Grand Prix Zug 2013 is now underway and being carried live at ChessBomb.com. I expect some truly stellar chess given the presence of four of the game's most elite attackers, namely, Shakhriyar Mamedyarov, Alexander Morozevich, Hikaru Nakamura, and Veselin Topalov.

Of note, Radjabov now has tripled pawns in his game against Caruana (:
        An amazing final position after White's 107th move, Karjakin vs. Nakamura. Black has 2 extra pawns, both of them outside passers, one of them on the 7th rank, in an opposite-coloured Bishop endgame. But there's no way to win!

Black to move:

BTW, if you get the pgn files from chess.com, note that for all the second round games, they have the event listed as "Candidates 2013".
        Only the rushing is heard...
        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

As an observation from the lowly B level, I have been known to favour 1.g3 for some time now.

Bob A

Comment

Working...
          X