Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time

TIME Magazine - has named Magnus Carlsen one of the 100 Most Influential People in the World in 2013. The full list and related tributes will appear in the April 29 / May 6 issue of TIME, available on newsstands tomorrow. Magnus is in excellent if somewhat mixed company. According to TIME this is not a list of the most powerful or the smartest people in the world, it’s a list of the most influential.

(reported today on Chessbase)

Re: Time

Perhaps chess is still quite important to people, like in the Cold War era.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 18th April, 2013, 01:49 PM. Reason: Deleting poor question
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
      Perhaps chess is still quite important to people, like in the Cold War era.
      My fear is that his rising influence is not so much from his chess, but from his clothes modelling for the international clothier, Raw (I think ). This would account for Cosmopolitan listing him as one of the world's sexiest men.

But that doesn't mean the chess world shouldn't piggyback on this, and highlight his super-hero status in chess.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        My fear is that his rising influence is not so much from his chess, but from his clothes modelling for the international clothier, Raw (I think ). This would account for Cosmopolitan listing him as one of the world's sexiest men.

But that doesn't mean the chess world shouldn't piggyback on this, and highlight his super-hero status in chess.

Bob A
        I wrote elsewhere I thought an American world champ/contender such as Fischer (who was arguably seen as charismatic for some period of time) might be necessary to make chess quite popular again, at least in the West, but maybe a charismatic world champ/contender of any Western nationality will do.
        Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 18th April, 2013, 03:44 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Fischer refused to do commercials and endorsements. And the popularity of chess is nowhere what it was in the Fischer era. Especially if you want to measure that by print space in the media. A media which is much more fractured than it ever has been. I don't think the American media and public will jump all over someone who is not even American. Perhaps he does not even speak English well. When I see Magnus appearing ads in America I'll believe it then. Or see him on the talk show circuit.
          Last edited by Zeljko Kitich; Thursday, 18th April, 2013, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
            Fischer refused to do commercials and endorsements. And the popularity of chess is nowhere what it was in the Fischer era. Especially if you want to measure that by print space in the media. A media which is much more fractured than it ever has been. I don't think the American media and public will jump all over someone who is not even American. Perhaps he does not even speak English well. When I see Magnus appearing ads in America I'll believe it then. Or see him on the talk show circuit.
            I thought the popularity of chess exploded in the Fischer era only after he became world champ.

Like I wrote above, I'm guessing Magnus' rise only might do a similar trick for chess in the West.

Comment

If you watched any of the videos of the post-game commentary from the Candidate's you would know that Carlsen speaks English particularly well.
              I was also quite astonished at Svidler's command of the language too.

The U.S. media pretty much ignores whatever happens elsewhere in the world unless it affects Americans or involves Americans. They also make the assumption that whatever interests Americans may also be of interest to the rest of the world (not always the case, I'm afraid).
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                Svidler admires the English culture.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                  If you watched any of the videos of the post-game commentary from the Candidate's you would know that Carlsen speaks English particularly well.

The U.S. media pretty much ignores whatever happens elsewhere in the world unless it affects Americans or involves Americans. They also make the assumption that whatever interests Americans may also be of interest to the rest of the world (not always the case, I'm afraid).
                  Good to know about Carlsen. Maybe if he finds an American, British or even Canadian or Australian sponsor he can put that to work for him. The American media reports to the American people. That's who the ads they carry are targeted to. Canadians may piggyback on that but I don't think we can complain that the American media should put our interests first when considering what to report on. I think that's true of media all over the world.

Comment

I thought the popularity of chess exploded in the Fischer era only after he became world champ.

Like I wrote above, I'm guessing Magnus' rise only might do a similar trick for chess in the West.
                    No I'm pretty sure there was a lot of coverage leading up to the match, such as his qualification process, and during the match, all before he became world champ.

Comment

No I'm pretty sure there was a lot of coverage leading up to the match, such as his qualification process, and during the match, all before he became world champ.
                      I recall the match coverage. Not so sure chess club memberships skyrocketed until after Fischer actually won the match. Throughout the match and the leadup to it there was always the dramatic question of whether one player (especially Fischer) would abandon/forfeit the match.

Comment

I recall the match coverage. Not so sure chess club memberships skyrocketed until after Fischer actually won the match. Throughout the match and the leadup to it there was always the dramatic question of whether one player (especially Fischer) would abandon/forfeit the match.
                        I'm not sure either but my guess is people started attending chess clubs as soon as the match started to discuss it with other people. At least people who knew how to play.

Comment

Working...
                        X