Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alekhine Memorial in Paris

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    Probably worth more than 11,000 Euros. Germany was on the gold standard in 1914, and a Mark was worth about $0.25 US (1100 Marks = $275 US in 1914) - or 1/80 ounce of gold (gold was $20.67 US per ounce; 1100 Marks = 13.75 ounces of gold in 1914).

Multiply 13.75 by today's gold price ($1460 per ounce) gives you a little over $20,000 US (a little over 15,000 Euros).
    The chart I saw had a cent or so under $19. a troy oz. Not that it matters much.

In 1912 - 1914 Canada had gold circulation coins in $5. and $10. denominations. They were a quarter and half troy oz. In 1914 the mintage was stopped because of the war. They are worth a lot more than that now.

Much of Germany's gold is stored in the U.S. from what I've read. They want some of it back. Good luck to them getting it.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Keeping off-topic, Fort Knox holds 3% of all the gold ever mined throughout history; the Federal Reserve Bank of New York holds 5% [Wikipedia].

All the gold ever mined could form a cube 82 feet on a side, and could pay off only half of the US debt.

Comment

Round Four of the Alekhine in Paris Revisited

When I was watching the commentary to Round Four of the Alekhine Memorial in Paris, I wrote in my notebook “10:40 – 50,000 euro computer”.

When I was writing up the round, I skipped over this and then later began to wonder who had this expensive computer. I tried replaying the commentary of the round but for weeks the recorded stream on-line was faulty.

Today, June 6, 44 days after it was made, I found that the recording is clear and the replay works perfectly. And now I can find out which of the Alekhine participants supposedly had a computer worth $68,000:

The commentators are two of the best – Dirk Jan ten Geuzendam and Alexander Grischuk.

(Dirk Jan) When you are short of time does it happen that it is your opponent who starts to do weird things? It is more confusing for your opponent than yourself.

(Alexander) Sometimes it is. I am not sure why.

(Dirk Jan) Maybe it is the pressure.

(Alexander) I have witnessed this myself. Sergei Karjakin has the habit of making a move with one second left and bangs the clock. I don’t think he does it on purpose just so that he doesn’t lose on time.

Now he once did it against me years ago in the Russian Super Final and I really started to play much worse after it.

(Dirk Jan) Because of the banging?

(Alexander) Because of the banging and I also you think, “I was one second away from the victory” and I spoiled an almost completely won position and drew. And he did this again against Svidler this year in a team championship and almost won a completely lost position. There is a lot of psychology in chess and sport.

(Dirk Jan) You like the sports factor, it is not just strong moves, it is everything.

(Alexander) I like the science element. Almost all of my family are scientists. I never really understood why chess was called an art. Art is hidden in everything. While science cannot really be in everything. There is no science in cleaning the floor, for example. The scientific aspect of chess is quite big. Nowadays you just let the computer work and some things you are almost 100% of and that is the way it should be in science.

(Dirk Jan) I remember Vishy Anand winning a game with a very deep novelty and then he came to Wijk aan Zee. A player came up to him there and said, “You know Vishy, I also found this.” And Anand said, “You are the second player, who has told me that.” And the other guy said, “How did you find it, Vishy?” He replied, “Well, actually, I switched on the computer and went to dinner!”

People are happier to have stronger and stronger computers because they can make discoveries they would not normally find.

(Alexander) You just have to put in a lot of hard work, a lot of discipline and a good computer and do it for a long, long time. That is why Kramnik is so good in the opening. He has already been working this way for thirteen years since his match with Kasparov. You cannot catch him in half a year. But if you work hard enough for a year with good discipline and a computer, you can become very decent in the opening.

(Dirk Jan) Do the top grandmasters today have really strong computers? Not just your average computer.

(Alexander) Slightly better, but I think they are overestimated. I think that the speed doesn’t go up linearly. If you have twice the core, your speed doesn’t go up two times.

There was a rumour that Maxime Lagrave has a computer that is worth 50000 euros. I think that is complete bullsh*t.

(Dirk Jan) Did you ask Maxime?

(Alexander) I just cannot imagine it because I know how much very good computers cost and they are not 50000 euros!

Comment

Working...
        X