X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scarborough CC History

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Gary:

I can't remember when I joined the Scarborough CC. May have been as early as the late 60's when I first came to Toronto to attend U of T. Or it may have been as late as the mid-70's when I started working full time. I can't remember for sure, but I think John Kohlfurst may still have been playing at the club then. I can't remember whether you were still playing when I joined, but the timing appears such that you must have been ( I have a terrible time with remembering some details, while others , especially trivial, I seem to retain forever ).

But both Frank and Ted Tebbs were. I had many games against them. And Frank's son, Frank Jr. also was a member and I played him many times. The club was quite large when I joined ( may have been as many as 300 members at the time - not sure ). But as you say, it was really the average players' club - the Toronto Chess Club was where the top players hung out - I can remember the smoke haze there when it was busy.

Hope we'll see you sometime at the club for a visit - it is thriving, by today's standards.

Bob
    Hi Bob,

Do you recall where the club was when you played? Until the mid 70's it was at Macey Hall on Macey Ave. They tore it down for redevelopment from what I recall. I started organizing CC in mid 1974 and don't recall playing in club events after that. I did play for the club twice in the Scarborough- Indianapolis team match. It was 5 players from each city. I think it was 1976 and 1978. I recall winning the game against their board 1 in 1976. What makes it memorable was he was holding a piece in his hand and asking if we were playing touch move. I assured him we were and he resigned. I was white and the opening was a Larsens 1. b3. One day I'll have to pull out the shoe box with my games and put them on computer.

John Kohlfurst played at the club for many years after I left. I used to work on some equipment at the building where he lived and dropped in on him a couple of times a year when I was working there.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Gary:

My earliest memory of playing at Scarborough CC was going to Macey Hall I believe - I remember going down into a basement I think, and there may have been a stage at the front of the hall. And I'm not sure, but Al or Bill McDonald ( not sure if I have the name right ) may have been the club manager ( not sure if it was a paid position then - I know it did become paid later - Dutton and Evans ).

What was the no. of members in the early 70's after the Fischer match - because I think the club took a big jump in memberhsip then. Not sure if we were out of Macey Hall by then - were we then at the Porter Collegiate Highschool off Warden after Macey?

Bob
      Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Friday, 2nd January, 2009, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Re: Happy New Year !

a New Year resolutions to consider:

- not to make spurious claims of being a grassroots movement when in fact you are representing just your own opinions.

- if you wish to act like a governer / member of the executive, then become one.

Comment

Originally posted by John Cordes View Post
          Hi Bob, and Gary:

I played some at the Scarborough Chess Club during my three years in Toronto, from 1966 to 1969. A few years ago I came across some of my old score sheets from those days. Here are some of the names I played at the SCC (I was a C class player), in no particular order: Mueller, Parsons, J. Laviolette, Ilic (?), Myatt, Mager, Hirner, Fujimoto, Weller, E. Mucignat, Holden, B. Meakes, Hawke, R. Bennett, A. Strajens, D. Williams, H. Keller, Tochet, Mortson, O. Mankio, Love. I often brought along a couple of friends: D. Elias and P. O'Donnell.

I also found the score from a game I played in a Howard Ridout simultaneous in October 1968 - I got a draw. I was lucky enough to win the C class tournament for 1968-69; I still have the very nice trophy.

John
          Hi John,

I should recall you from then but don't. I do recall at least a couple of the players you mentioned. Bob Meakes was involved in a very tragic fatal auto accident. He used to bring his son to the club in the early 70's.

I first ran into Howard in Winnipeg in around 1960. A friend and myself used to play (hustle) him for quarters in speed chess at a coffee house. To our surprise he showed up at a Manitoba Open and finished something like third. We had no idea at the time he could actually play well. Anyhow, Howard remained a friend through the years and I played him many times in Scarborough.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Gary:

My earliest memory of playing at Scarborough CC was going to Macey Hall I believe - I remember going down into a basement I think, and there may have been a stage at the front of the hall. And I'm not sure, but Bill McDonald ( not sure if I have the name right ) may have been the club manager ( not sure if it was a paid position then - I know it did become paid later - Dutton and Evans ).

What was the no. of members in the early 70's after the Fischer match - because I think the club took a big jump in memberhsip then. Not sure if we were out of Macey Hall by then - were we then at the Porter Collegiate Highschool off Warden after Macey?

Bob
            Hi Bob,

The playing area was on the main floor as I recall. There was a large stage at the front of the hall.

There was no club manager the years I was there but I know who you mean. Those positions came after my terms. I was never paid anything for any work I did for the Scarborough club. My positions were unpaid volunteer.

The membership was over 100 paid members in the early 70's. We used to get visitors as well who came in to play from time to time. I never bothered them for board fees (or whatever it's called) because I figured if they got interested or wanted to play events they would join. The membership did jump after the Fischer match in 1972 but I forget the exact numbers. I think it eventually got to around 300, someone told me.

The Canadian Opens in Scarborough would have likely been the Scarborough Chess Club. We had a decent relationship with the politicians and they would have supplied the playing room at a reasonable rate.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Ordinary CFC Member Involvement in CFC

Hi Roger:

I in fact do have a group of CFC members / past members of about 20 people who form the Grassroots' Campaign. I keep in touch with them regularly and confirm the actions I am taking on their behalf. If they object to something, they let me know, and I revise accordingly. So I am not just acting on my own, though I am the initiator of many, though not all, of the ideas. I am a Coordinator. If you want the list of current members of the Grassroots' Campaign, I'll be pleased to post them - they are all willing to stand up and be counted re the Grassroots' Campaign platform.

Secondly, I have been asked to become a Governor many times in the past. I am considering running this June in the GTCL.

But my actions so far have been as an ordinary member and I believe you do not have to be " acting like a governor/ member of the executive " to speak up. You can " act like a MEMBER " ! I believe in grassroots involvement of ordinary CFC members and that they should make their input known to the CFC Executive / Governors. And I believe in Community Development, and that is how the Grassroots' Campaign came about - the CD theory worked in my work life, and it does now too in the CFC. And even if I don't become a governor, I have no intention of ceasing my speaking out. And I hope I encourage other ordinary CFC members to speak out and recognize that they can make a difference, even if they are not a governor/Executive.

Bob
              Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Friday, 2nd January, 2009, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                Great, Lucas, I have you in my "Fantasy Chessplayers Who Play Fantasy Hockey" pool. I just checked the web site and your lead in your hockey pools is helping me out greatly. I also picked Bob Gillanders, but he went heavily with hockey players from Toronto, so nothing much happening there.

I wonder if anyone has me in the "Fantasy Software Programmers Who Play 'Fantasy Chessplayers Who Play Fantasy Hockey' " pool. I think Bill Gates also picked you, Lucas. Steve Jobs went with Bruce Harper and Ben Daswani, I wonder how that's working out.

Happy New Year To All!!!!
                I am a hockey pool machine. I have never finished lower than fourth in a pool. Currently, in my pool this year, I am sixth, but this is because I was saddled with the 15th draft pick. No worries, though. I am on the upswing. I recently made a blockbuster trade parting with Alex Goligoski at just the right time and picking up some yummy gems in the process, including former South Surrey Eagle Scottie Gomez. What some fools don't realise is that with Whitney's return, Goligoski has been rendered inconsequential to Pittsburgh's top offensive five-man units and will receive far less playing time with Crosby and Malkin as a result. I am not one such fool. I am part of the 10%. I manipulate the 85% majority for my own benefit.

I am confident that I will achieve a top-three finish. If I do not, I will cry silently.
                everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                  a New Year resolutions to consider:

- not to make spurious claims of being a grassroots movement when in fact you are representing just your own opinions.

- if you wish to act like a governer / member of the executive, then become one.

Its amazing how one person can be so bent on doing so much damage to Chess in Canada. It would be nice to see how many 'grassroots' members are just Torontonians pushing their opinions on the rest of Canada.

Comment

Elimination of the Tournament Playing Fee ( = " Tournament Membership " )

Hi Jason:

I'd remind you that the elimination of the tournament playing fee ( = " tournament membership " ) was a straw vote motion passed by the CFC Governors from across Canada at the July 2008 CFC AGM in Montreal ( there were a number of governors in attendance, and numerous proxies submitted ).

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by John Cordes View Post
                      A. Strajens
                      Hi John... I think that "A. Strajens" likely was "A Strojevs - Alex Strojevs" a regular at the Scarborough Club for many years... I recall many battles with him and Tebbs boys and others. It was indeed a fine club in the 60's and 70's and I have no doubt it must still be!

regards,

Kerry Liles
                      Burlington Chess Club
                      http://burlingtoncc.freeservers.com

[I am in the west end now - for last 35 years or so, although my Mother still lives in Scarborough...]
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                        Hi John... I think that "A. Strajens" likely was "A Strojevs - Alex Strojevs" a regular at the Scarborough Club for many years... I recall many battles with him and Tebbs boys and others. It was indeed a fine club in the 60's and 70's and I have no doubt it must still be!
                        Hi Kerry,

I think you are probably right. I just tried to find my old scoresheet, but I can't remember what I've done with them; they may be in the attic. However, that Strojevs / Strajens game, dated 24 September 1968, is the only old SCC one where I have a rating recorded for my opponent, and I see I have 1736 in this case. Coincidentally <g> this just happens to be the exact rating listed in the CFC rating list of 1 July 1967 for one A. Strojevs of Toronto. The 1 July 1968 list actually has him at 1751... I'm not surprised he won the game, very easily I might add.

John

Comment

Hi Gary:

Do you remember where the Scarborough CC went after it left Macey Hall ( I think you said the hall was demolished in the early ' 70's )? Were you still a member after that? Did it go to Porter Collegiate Institute, off Warden Ave.?

Interesting that SCC started in 1960, was at 100 members by the early '70's, went up to 300 ( we think ) in the mid '70's during the Fischer boom, stayed around that for a while I think ( maybe all of the 80's ), started to slide I think in the '90's, and I know at the start of the millenium , it was just over 100 members again.

I think we need to talk some student into doing their PhD thesis on the SCC, so we will have a history of one of the major clubs in Canada ( as far as I know, there are no historical records of the SCC - it's all anecdotal memories of individual past members ).

Maybe we also need someone to write a history of the CFC, especially given the radical restructuring it is currently undergoing ( is there any written history of the CFC ? ).

Bob
                          Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Friday, 2nd January, 2009, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Hi Gary:

Do you remember where the Scarborough CC went after it left Macey Hall ( I think you said the hall was demolished in the early ' 70's )? Were you still a member after that? Did it go to Porter Collegiate Institute, off Warden Ave.?

Interesting that SCC started in 1960, was at 100 members by the early '70's, went up to 300 ( we think ) in the mid '70's during the Fischer boom, stayed around that for a while I think ( maybe all of the 80's ), started to slide I think in the '90's, and I know at the start of the millenium , it was just over 100 members again.

I think we need to talk some student into doing their PhD thesis on the SCC, so we will have a history of one of the major clubs in Canada ( as far as I know, there are no historical records of the SCC - it's all anecdotal memories of individual past members ).

Maybe we also need someone to write a history of the CFC, especially given the radical restructuring it is currently undergoing ( is there any written history of the CFC ? ).

Bob
                            Hi Bob,

I was there until Sept. 1974. That was the month I started organizing correspondence chess. The club would have started up for the season and a president would have been elected to replace me. I can't recall who took that position. I wouldn't have attended very often as besides the correspondence club we had another youngster on the way.

The club did move to that collegiate off Warden. I think I may have dropped in once. Then I seem to recall it moved to a school on Pharmacy Ave.

Probably where the club ran into problems was when Harris got the government around 1992. The schools and other public buildings became reluctant to allow use of their facilities because of funding cutbacks. What was available was at a prohibitive price. I recall after McGuinty won, the room rental rates were slashed by his government. If you know anyone who was in the club administration at that time, you could ask to confirm if this was the cause of the drop in membership. Anyhow, I think they had a room at the Wexford Brotherhood (a seniors home) on Lawrence Ave for awhile and also at a legion, I think, around the old Woodbine racetrack. Those guys did a wonderful job of club survival during the 90's.

For many years the local newspaper advertised us for free in the community events section. That was the paper which went free to the homes. I always liked to advertise.

I don't know who is around who really remembers the old days well. With all the players at the Scarborough Club and then the CCCA, the names tend to blend for me. My memory is OK, but 35 years is a long time to recall details. By the way, my vice president for the two years I was president was Oswald Lisits.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Lohner View Post

Its amazing how one person can be so bent on doing so much damage to Chess in Canada. It would be nice to see how many 'grassroots' members are just Torontonians pushing their opinions on the rest of Canada.
                              When "the West" is resenting "Hogtown", all is well in the world. :)

When will The West be reopening parliament?
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Gary:

I take it from what you say that you were President of SCC the two years before Macey was demolished and the club moved to Porter Collegiate Institute, just off Warden Ave.. And that it moved in or around September 1974.

You are right that it then later moved to a highschool on Pharmacy Ave., just north of Lawrence( I think there was an asbestos problem discovered in the room we used at Porter ) .

And I think you are right that it moved again in the early nineties because the cafeteria we were using became too expensive - it may have been partly Harris or else maybe due to the amalgamation of Toronto, and the harmonization of school rental costs among the former 6 cities, with dramatic increases. We then did go to the basement of a senior's home on Lawrence Ave., just east of Pharmacy, and then subsequently to the Canadian Legion Hall on Kingston Road, just east of Woodbine I think ( we had kids practicing Irish step dancing on the third floor above us for part of the time we were playing - not great playing conditions ). We sank to a membership of about 20 when we were there as far as I remember - a " near-death " experience for SCC.

Then we moved to the Jack Goodlad Community Centre on Kennedy, between Eglinton and Lawrence, and the tide turned, and membership started to go back up.

Still think we need somebody to do a history of SCC - would be nice for the club to have.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X