US Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Championships

http://www.uschesschamps.com/ No one has reported on these exciting championships so I will start but since Im so late doing so (after round 4) its just a teaser. Gata Kamsky has 4 - 0 and is still in the running for the Bobby Fischer prize (9-0 but only 9-0!! gets an additional $64,000 US). Ive really enjoyed all his games (with exceptionally deep tactics) and hope he does it. Big Larry Christiansen at age 57 has come out swinging and taken some big scalps but eventually lost in a wild game against Kamsky. The young ones have also come out swinging and there have been plenty of upsets but the wily veterans (some of them!) are holding their own. Kayden Troff celebrated his 15th birthday yesterday doing what he loves and was rewarded an exceptional gift by GM Ivanov who missed a simple win in time pressure. Today the two youngsters play - Sam Sevian age 12 has white. Who will win? Sevian is rock solid with 3 draws against GM opposition and GM Shabalov had to try extra hard but was successful handing Sevian his only loss so far. Maurice Ashley has been GM on the spot commentating on exciting moments right after they happen and doing interviews after the games (he is awesome and does a better job than exciting commentators in other sports). He asked GM Shabalov how it feels to beat a kid - and Shaba said he's no kid and I had to treat him extra careful otherwise I'll be in the basement (in Russia according to Shaba its known as the girls room) which got Jennifer Shadade going. Uncle Yaz (Yasser Seirawan) has been main GM commentator (lovely lovely job) and Jennifer handles the main controls and is his foil (like MacLean with Don Cherry) except Yaz is ALWAYS the gentleman and comes across VERY distinguished. There are so many moments in these championships - if I think of some more I'll post some more.

Re: US Championships

Rd5 Joel Benjamin is playing great chess. As Black he setup a fortress type idea against Kamsky and seemed to draw easily. Gata made the mistake of playing the London System, not because its a bad opening but it is one of Joel's fortes - he knows it inside out. GM Benjamin has played the top 3 seeds already and overall has 2 wins and 3 draws (tied for third) and is in great shape for the rest of the tournament. Alex Onischuk did his usual positional domination against Big Larry Christiansen. I think Larry was tired after his barn burner against Kamsky (although it seems like he has endless energy) and just didnt see deep enough. GM Onischuk did an incredible knight maneuver from kingside to queenside to end up posted like a rock. His reward: White against GM Kamsky Rd 6. Kayden Troff won the battle of the youngsters and is back to an even score and still within GM norm reach. Today is a rest day.

Comment

Well it was so good I couldnt stay away. A whirlwind trip to St Louis this past weekend to see the end of the US Championships. Very exciting and very enjoyable! Gata Kamsky started 4-0 and then 5 straight draws (actually 7 including playoffs) a very tough grind. Finally he broke thru against GM Ramirez in an armegeddon speed game to win the championship. Plenty of tension and nail biting excitement for the fans. GM Conrad Holt made an incredible blunder to lose a drawn endgame in time pressure against GM Gareev to spoil a sensational tournament for him. Still 5th place was a great result. Kayden Troff who turned 15 during the tournament played 7 GMs and scored his first GM norm against a very tough field. I predict the GM title for him this year. Big Larry Christiansen came out swinging every game - no draws for him - just 5 wins, 4 losses. The tournament was awesomely organised - best ever for me - high security but very friendly - commentary room with Yasser Seirawan and Jennifer Shahade and color commentator (Jonny on the spot) Maurice Ashley - a great pleasure to watch. Free food, coffee and drinks every day. It was interesting to watch the service staff in white (sometimes 3 at a time) cross the street with big silver trays of food. Outdoors speed chess was a great pleasure with several takers mostly expert strength. It was there I met Rex Sinquefeld and shook his hand and had a nice chat. Only billionaire I know who is really down to earth and friendly and both he and his wife love chess and the chess scene passionately. He visited every day and was always to be found in the commentary room. The weather was perfect and on the way and back from the site I would walk by Forest Park to the Metro Link. ($1.10 takes you 20 miles across the city to the airport. In one corner of Forest Park (which is huge) I discovered the St Louis Zoo with free admission and spent an entire morning there. I also discovered on this trip that Chuck Berry is native to St Louis and at age 80+ still performs regularly at a couple of favorite pubs in the area. I managed to catch Yasser Seirawan as he finished commentary one evening and he is super friendly all the time. From behind him I said: "Yasser its been 27 years - its wonderful to see you again!" He turned surprised: "Just tell me where that was." - Rejkjavik 1986. I was a nobody, nervous first day at breakfast, all tables filled with GMs - Yasser said come sit with me. Soon after Bent Larsen arrived and they talked intensely for over an hour What a treat! Yasser said: "You know he was my hero" Yes. "Wow" Yasser takes my book and signs it : To Hans - thanks for the happy memory - it was good to see you again - Yasser Seirawan. What a nice charming man. It was one of the few trips where I didnt want to go home at the end. St. Louis absolutely rocks!

Comment

I enjoyed following this tournament, I'm really happy that Kamsky won in interviews and commentary he seems really down to Earth and polite (I've always preferred him to Nakamura).

It seems like your trip was a great success, you got to enjoy some amazing opportunities.

It is good to hear that Kayden Troff got his first GM norm, I've read some of his blog posts on his development since he was an NM.
        University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Working...
        X