X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Norway Super Tournament

Round Eight

Friday, May 17, 2013

Dirk Jan and Simen are the commentators as usual. They are back at the hotel in Sandnes.

Both players and commentators are tired as you will see further on. Nakamura, Svidler and Anand all said that there were times today when they just could not think.

May 17 is Norway’s National Day. The celebrations are for the signing of the Constitution on May 17, 1814, making it an independent nation. The Napoleonic Wars were on then and England attacked the Danish fleet. Norway was in union with the Danes. Sweden was with the English and Napoleon sent no help so Norway ended up under the control of Sweden.

In any event, everybody is in the streets on this holiday. There are parades and people are waving flags.

It was a free day yesterday. The players and organizers went for a ride in two speedboats. At one point, Vishy Anand was at the steering wheel of one of the boats.
    Dirk Jan said that while the boat was speeding along at 60 km an hour, all he could hear was the remembrance of James Bond music.

Thinking about it, there seemed to be speedboats in several Bond movies. The ones that come to mind are Roger Moore in Live and Let Die, being pursued in the Louisiana bayous, Sean Connery at the end of From Russia with Love, with Tatiana and there might have been one too in The Spy Who Loved Me. Perhaps readers will forgive all the non-chess references today and supply the Bond actor and the event.
    ++++++++++

Three girls come in. They are wearing the long dresses from their Confirmation. These are in black with embroidered shawls. There is lots and lots of silver jewelry. You get the dresses when you are fourteen years old but there are things built in to them so as you grow, you can still wear them when you are older. The black material is wool and is very warm. The girls are in second high school grade and 18 years old. When they graduate they wear red overalls.

The russefeiring is a traditional celebration for Norwegian high school students in their final spring semester. Students that take part in the celebrations are known as russ. The russefeiring traditionally starts on 1 May and ends on the 17th of May. Participants wear the red coveralls and drunkenness and public celebration are features of the period.
    ++++++++

Dirk Jan says that Hikaru and Teimour first met one another in 1996 at the world Under-10 Championship. Young Teimour fully exploited his extra year and beat him. Since then, all games have been draw.

Try not to remember this fact since it will turn out to be incorrect.
    ++++++++++

Some students come in from the parades - three girls and a boy. They all have on the red coveralls. They have been wearing them for a month and are not allowed to wash them. In front, there is a pouch with a Norwegian flag on it. Next week come the exams.

Wang Hao was quite taken with this fashion and wanted to buy red overalls but they are not for sale. They are specially ordered and then jealously guarded by the owners forever.
    ++++++++

Elisabeth Faret, a member of the organizing committee, comes in. She works on hockey and chess organization. She says that there are 600,000 to a million people watching the games on-line. It was hard getting sponsors at first but when they were assured of a huge international audience, they became enthusiastic. It would seem to me that this would be the ideal way to sell such an international tournament in Canada to Canadian sponsors.
    ++++++++

Hammer appears to be ahead in his game with the World Champion. Anand has sacrificed three pawns. Jon Ludvig says that today he will get a result or die trying. From move 20 on, the positions are very tactical. This would be the ideal game to show to younger players and to ask what move do they think is going to come next.
    +++++++

Topalov-Aronian is a draw after 41 moves. Levon says that the National Day in Armenia is September 21st. (It commemorates the restoration of the Republic of Armenia in September 21, 1991, after 70 years of Soviet rule.)

His main worry now is getting enough sleep, since the round tomorrow starts three hours earlier.
    ++++++++++++

Wednesday’s quiz had to do with smoking. These days smoking has lost its appeal. How many of the participants in this tournament are smokers?

Somebody said Nakamura was a smoker but gave it up. (untrue). Someone else wrote that Svidler must be a smoker since he is a Russian. He told Dirk Jan that he never touched a cigarette in his entire life.

The answer is none. None of the participants smokes. The winner of the NIC sub is from Istanbul, Turkey. Somehow this surprised me since Turkish tobacco has world renown and I would have thought that a Turkish national would say that they all smoked!
    It is clear that Dirk Jan is running low on questions.
    This is the new one:

Today’s tournament is the first super tournament on Norwegian soil. The World Cup is coming up later this year in Tromsø, Norway and next year the 41st Chess Olympiad will be held there.

In which year was the Norwegian Chess Federation founded?

+++++++++

A wild game ends with Radjabov losing the thread of the game and then losing to Nakamura. Teimour is having a rough stretch and so is taking a break after this tournament. Nakamura is playing in the Grand Prix in Thessaloniki.

Hikaru says that he has a plus score today and tomorrow he plays Jon Ludvig Hammer. Dirk Jan talks about a song from the past, If I were a Hammer by Trini Lopez. It came out in 1963 and Hikaru doesn’t know it nor does most of the audience. This is not surprising since the song is If I had a Hammer. This hammer song seems to show the separation of chess-playing generations!

Dirk Jan ten Geuzendam has an amazing memory for chess history. The magazine he edits is outstandingly successful. I have great respect for the man.

He asks Hikaru the first time he met Teimour Radjabov and I think he answers that it was 2004 or thereabouts. Dirk Jan mentions that Under-10 Tournament and Hikaru says, “I believe you are thinking of my brother, who played Gashimov and Radjabov in Minorca”. Check the first initial.”

Dirk Jan says, “I only check the first initial when I am writing about the Polgars!”

So Dirk Jan got it wrong and a viewer writes in that he got Trini Lopez’s song name wrong too. This is why I said at the first that both players and others are very tired at this time in the tournament.

Hikaru has a chess-playing brother, who has given up chess now. Hikaru’s older brother is Asuka. The game cited is from the WCH U10 1996 in Cala Galdana, Minorca. The boys winner that year was Pendyala Harikrishna from India.

Tomorrow’s early game doesn’t have Nakamura worried. He tells us to go for a run, have breakfast and then watch the games! He doesn't say that he will do that, but that we should.
    ++++++++++

They have another guest. The adventurer Lars Monsen sits down with the guys. He crossed Canada by foot in three years.

I remember a wonderful short film called the Railrodder, in which Buster Keaton crossed Canada in a one-man, open-top rail vehicle. I have heard of people who want to make the trip by car going from Atlantic to Pacific, stopping at as many Tim Horton’s as possible along the way. But Monsen walked and dog-sledded in Winter and went by canoe in the Summer across northern Canada in two years, seven months from Kaktovik to Goose Bay. The trip was filmed and made into a documentary.

The most notorious man in Norway is Magnus Carlsen, the second-most notorious is evidently Hans Olav Lahlum – the chap in the video, falling off the stool. Third-most notorious is Lars Monsen.

He has talked to a black bear in English. He likes to start his morning with a cup of coffee and chess on the Internet. His handle on the ICC is norsegrizzly. He is just here to watch the tournament. The last chess book he read was 1.d4. (by Boris Avrukh?)

His next project is trying to build up a dog team to go to the Iditarod in Alaska.

(Lars) The dogs have to be really strong. You start with 14 dogs and half of them should be leaders so that they can go in front. They have to have good paws, appetite and fur and not fight with other dogs. The sex is 50-50 with the females in front and the males in back. The ones that get to the finish lines are usually females. I lost a dog once to wolves in Canada. I always have a weapon with me when I sleep. This is a guard against wolves and bears especially. 99% of the bears will run away but the 1% are killers.

I have had 300 to 350 encounters with bears and I have only had to kill one – a Polar bear. I explained the situation to the authorities after and they were satisfied. The black bear and the grizzly are the most dangerous. Don’t keep food in your tent. If you fish, don’t wipe your hands off afterwards on your trousers. The bear will sniff you out.
    ++++++++

Karjakin finally resigns against Svidler. Carlsen resigns too against Wang Hao, so now there are effectively three people fighting for first place. Now when did the two leaders resign in the second to last round recently?

At the press conference at the end, one of the organizers presents Wang Hao with a pair of red coveralls. She had two pairs made by mistake and so is giving the larger pair to him. He beams with pleasure.
    ++++++++

Let’s see. Nothing written above that isn’t directly related to chess. No opinions given beyond those of the commentators. Good. Post it.
    Last edited by Wayne Komer; Friday, 17th May, 2013, 09:33 PM. Reason: misspelled olav as olaf

Comment

Ninth and Final Round

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Dirk Jan and Simen are the commentators

The final round is taking place in the Stavanger Concert Hall. At the same time there is a Norwegian celebrity tournament on. All through today’s match there are noises coming from the other event.

The sun is out and the temperature in the morning is 21 °C. Out of national pride Simen is wearing a big Norwegian sweater but soon takes it off.

In the last round the leader, Sergey Karjakin, lost to Peter Svidler and Magnus Carlsen lost to Wang Hao. Sergey is still half a point ahead of the field, so Karjakin 5.5; Carlsen 5, Anand 5 with Svidler, Aronian and Nakamura tied with 4.5.

At the end of today’s action, there could be a tie, which would be broken by a blitz match. The organizers post the regulations on their website so that everyone will be aware of them:

Tie-break rules
      Published May 17, 2013

In case more players tie for first with an equal number of points, a blitz match will decide who wins the tournament. The blitz match will consist of 2 games with 4 minutes + 2 seconds (per move) per player.

If it´s still tied, an Armageddon game will decide the outcome. In the Armageddon game the player with the white pieces will have 5 minutes + 2 seconds (per move) while the player with black pieces will have 4 minutes + 2 seconds. If the game ends as a draw, Black wins.
      ++++++++++

There were interviews promised for today – notably with Espen Agdestein, Carlsen’s manager, but for one reason or another, nothing pans out. It is just a long tiring day of analysis.

Aronian-Carlsen is an agreed draw. Carlsen just tried to be solid, and if there were chances to win, to take them. There were not.

Radjabov-Svidler is also drawn. There is the usual discussion about Grunfelds when Peter is one of the players.

(Peter) Some mild theoretical importance, I guess but not a particularly exciting game. But after yesterday, I am kind of fine with that. I had enough excitement yesterday to last me for a bit.

(Teimour) And I am fine with that because of yesterday, the day before yesterday and the day before that. I am kind of satisfied.

(Dirk Jan) You say that you have been playing Santa Claus (with points) lately. I hope for you that this will stop. How do you manage to keep your cheerful attitude?

(Teimour) At first I was upset. Then I decided that I had to fight back. Then, I got more and more upset and then got desperate and now I just don’t care. So, it is very easy. Now, I don’t know how I came to this state. I have achieved a Buddhistic attitude. I have to come back to my normal condition. It will be fine.

(Dirk Jan) You cancelled your participation in Thessaloniki. What is your next tournament – the World Cup?

(Teimour) Probably but an event to warm up for that.

(Peter) I am not stopping.

(Dirk Jan) You’ll play the Tal Memorial?

(Peter) No, I’ll be in Thessaloniki. I have about a whole day at home before I go. That is exciting.
      ++++++++++

In Hammer-Nakamura, Jon Ludvig has a classical pawn centre with four white pawns side by side on the fourth rank. One of those centres you would like to have photographed, framed and put up on your wall.

Evidently, this is not sufficient. Nakamura wins.

(Jon Ludvig) I am sitting there for a long time trying to make sure that I don’t miss anything and the clock ticks. That is simple and so so dangerous.

That happened today. I spent an hour on one move and didn’t choose the right continuation.

(Hikaru) It is nice to be in Norway in the summer. I have been here in the winter before(Oslo and Ulvik). The only thing I didn’t like was having the tournament in several venues. Hopefully they will have this tournament next year..
      +++++++++

Quiz question – Answer to yesterday’s quiz: In what year was the Norwegian Chess Federation founded? There were various answers given. There was confusion with the Nordic Chess Federation, founded in 1899.

The answer is 1914. It celebrates its centenary in 2014 when Norway will celebrate the second centenary of its constitution. Winner is from Los Altos Hills in California.

Today’s question is:

Norway is hoping to see further young talent in its country. Carlsen announced in London that a young Norwegian had scored his first GM norm. Who is he and and how old is he?
      ++++++++++

In the game Wang Hao-Anand, the play progresses normally. On the 14th move, black takes a pawn on a2. The evaluation of Houdini 3 jumps to 0.70. Two moves later it is 4.4, white has a winning advantage (17.Rd1 Qxd1+ 18.Bxd1 Rxd1+ 19.Kg2 Nc2 20.Qa4 Ne1+ 21.Kg3 Rad8 22.Qxa2 Be5+ 23.Kh3 Nc2 24.Rb1 Rf1 25.Kg2 Rdd1 26.Qxa7 h5). Neither player seems to realize they are at a crisis position and play resumes. Black resigns at move 38.

Wang Hao has beaten the World Champion and the World Number One on two consecutive days.

For the second time this year, he has beaten Anand and knocked him out of contention. He won against him in the final round of the 75th Tata Steel Chess, allowing Magnus Carlsen to be tourney victor.

Actually the mathematics of what-might-have-been are a little bit iffy. But getting beaten in the last round by the Chinese grandmaster has a new verb “to be Wang-Haoed”.

Isn’t there a similar expression, when you are overwhelmed by certain hip hop music, you are “Wu Tang Clanned”!

Carlsen said of Wang Hao, “"He's the Chucky of this tournament," recalling the Ukrainian's wins over him and Kramnik in London.
      +++++++++++++++

Karjakin only needs a draw to win the tournament but Topalov seems to be going for a win. If he does win then there will have to be a three-way blitz tournament among Karjakin, Nakamura and Carlsen. This would be rather unfair as Karjakin had just completed a five-hour game.

(Dirk Jan) It would be just cruel. But it doesn’t look like that will happen. In a similar vein do you remember when Anand won the first knockout world championship, to qualify to play Anatoli Karpov in 1998? He had been playing for weeks in Groningen when he had to rush to Lausanne to play a rested Karpov. He had to book his own tickets and when he got there exhausted, lost. Of course, Karpov didn’t see he had an advantage. He said, “I am totally cold and he is warmed up”.
      ++++++++

Finally, there is a draw in Karjakin-Topalov and Sergey says that today’s draw is like a win. It is one of the best tournaments of his life.

Comment

Aftermath of Norway Super Tournament 2013

Sergey Karjakin won the €100,000 ($130,000) Norway Chess championship on May 18 after drawing against Veselin Topalov.

Karjakin needed only a draw against Topalov to take the top prize after Magnus Carlsen failed to win against Levon Aronian.

Karjakin led the nine-day tournament from the beginning, winning his first four games and starting the day on 5.5 points, half a point ahead of Carlsen. He took over five hours to secure the draw.

Final Standings: Karjakin 6/9, Carlsen, Nakamura 5.5pts, Svidler, Aronian, Anand 5pts, Wang 4.5pts, Topalov 4pts, Rajdabov 3pts, Hammer 1.5pts
        ++++++++++++

Quiz Question: 
Most likely Norway Chess 2013 would not have been possible without the successes of Magnus Carlsen. With further top events coming up, such as the World Cup and the Olympiad in Tromsø and, hopefully, a second edition of Norway Chess, Norway is hoping to see further talents. And that hope doesn’t seem to be an idle one. During the last round of the Candidates’ tournament in London, Magnus Carlsen proudly announced that a young Norwegian had scored his first GM norm (and, just like Magnus, he did so before scoring any IM norms!).
What is the name of that young Norwegian and how old is he?

Answer: 
His name is Aryan Tari and he is 13 years old. (Aryan Tari scored his first GM norm at the Open Norwegian Championship in Fagernes, where he finished in 7th place, one point behind overall winner Eduardas Rozentalis.)
        ++++++++

After the tournament, all ten players signed some chessboards. These are being auctioned off. It is not clear to me whether you get the pieces with them or not.
        The auction ends on May 31, 2013, at 24:00 Norwegian time (GMT +2 hours)

Minimum price for the board is 350 € ($465 CD)

Comment

Working...
        X