Carlos Jauregui died March 8, 2013 in Milan, Italy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlos Jauregui died March 8, 2013 in Milan, Italy

This according to an obituary in the Halifax Herald newspaper. I tried to access the obit on line but could not. When Carlos worked at the Coast Guard College in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia we would sometimes get together and play speed chess when I was visiting my mother, and so I got to know a part of him. He loved chess, he loved life and he loved to smoke. It's a wonder he made it to age 80. I have heard that the obit mentions Carlos' win over Bobby Fischer in 1959 as the high point of his chess career. Much more than that can be said. In any event his passing should be noted.

Re: Carlos Jauregui died March 8, 2013 in Milan, Italy

Originally posted by Gordon Taylor View Post
    This according to an obituary in the Halifax Herald newspaper. I tried to access the obit on line but could not. When Carlos worked at the Coast Guard College in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia we would sometimes get together and play speed chess when I was visiting my mother, and so I got to know a part of him. He loved chess, he loved life and he loved to smoke. It's a wonder he made it to age 80. I have heard that the obit mentions Carlos' win over Bobby Fischer in 1959 as the high point of his chess career. Much more than that can be said. In any event his passing should be noted.
    My condolences to all who knew Carlos.

I looked up his game vs. Fischer... interesting and well-played game!

http://chess-king.com/cool-chess-mid...-beat-fischer/
    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Taylor View Post
      You can read the obit from the Halifax paper at the Nova Scotia Chess Association website, http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Recreation...s/nschess.html

John

Comment

He represented Chile in two Olympiads (Moscow 1956 and Tel Aviv 1964).

Carlos came to Montreal in early 1974 from Chile, and played regularly in the Alekhine CC blitz tournaments - lots of competition amongst him, Kevin Spraggett, and Neil Sullivan. His kids also took up chess - I'm not sure if they continued (the obituary for some reason makes no mention of his son, Carlos Jr., and I think there was another son as well).

He moved to the Maritimes shortly after, and played in several Canadian Championships (1978, 1981, 1987) - as well as the 1974, 1977, 1983, and 1986 Canadian Opens.
        Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Friday, 10th May, 2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Unfortunate news.

Although Robert Hamilton spoke highly of Carlos earlier, I didn't meet him until we both participated in the 1987 Baie-Comeau Canadian Closed. Carlos was an entertaining meal guest while there, and was my only loss in the event...he had a love for life and chess that was infectious.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Brian

Comment

I am hoping to write up a piece on Carlos for an upcoming CCN. I hope nobody minds if I use their comments from here.

Or any other stories can be passed on.

Comment

Working...
            X