Any interest in book reviews by Canadian player(s)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any interest in book reviews by Canadian player(s)?

A couple of years ago I wrote up (tentatively, just in point form) brief book reviews of 6 books (all published in the new millenium) that a former CFC President lent to me, in the hope that they might see the light of day in the CCN Newsletter. Two of the books featured the Najdorf, the other four involved the Marshall Attack (one book included two other sharp Lopez lines). Nothing was done with these reviews since then, however.

My reviews were on the whole positive for all 6 of the books, though I noted generally if Black was at least sometimes offered little or no help by the book in question if he wished to win at all costs, should White be bent on drawing.

Perhaps given that the CMA now handles the CFC's books & equipment, Larry Bevand might let myself and other Canadian players know what policy (if any) the CMA has for paying for book reviews by Canadian players - and whether these can be published in the CCN Newsletter, if CCN editor John Upper is agreeable. Chesstalkers might also comment whether book reviews by Canadian players, published in CCN for example, would interest them.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: Any interest in book reviews by Canadian player(s)?

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    Two of the books featured the Najdorf, the other four involved the Marshall Attack (one book included two other sharp Lopez lines). Nothing was done with these reviews since then, however.
    Who was the author for the Marshall Attack in the Ruy Lopez? I always favoured the books of Tim Harding. He kept the theory up to date in subsequent editions. The latest I have on that is Hardings The Total Marshall on CD. It's probably about 10 years old but I'd still use it for preparation.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
      Who was the author for the Marshall Attack in the Ruy Lopez? I always favoured the books of Tim Harding. He kept the theory up to date in subsequent editions. The latest I have on that is Hardings The Total Marshall on CD. It's probably about 10 years old but I'd still use it for preparation.
      As I related in my first post, there were 4 of the six books that I did my tentative book review notes for that touched on the Marshall Attack (only one of these 4 books covered any [2] additional sharp Lopez variations), and these books were:

1) The Marshall Attack (Everyman 2003) by GM Bogdan Lalic;
      2) Fighting the Ruy Lopez (Everyman 2009) by GM Milos Pavlovic;
      3) Understanding the Marshall Attack (Gambit 2010) by IM David Vigorito;
      4) Attacking the Spanish (Quality Chess 2009) by IM Sabino Brunello.

The last book listed (the one by Brunello) covers (besides the Marshall) the Schliemann and the so-called Gajewski Lopez (3...a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 0-0 8.c3 d6 9.h3 Na5 10.Bc2 d5).

Since I've listed so many of the six books already, I may as well mention the other two, which featured the Najdorf:

5) Play the Sicilian (Quality Chess 2010) by GM Lubomir Ftacnik;
      6) Play the Najdorf Sicilian (Gambit 2010) by IM James Rizzitano.

Comment

Reviews of chess books have been common enough. I can think of at least a few reasons why such reviews by Canadian player(s) might be of possible interest to Canadian chessplayers:

1. No book reviews conveniently in CCN newsletter currently, afaik;
        2. A (non-GM?) Canadian reviewer might be more aware of this nation's class (or master level) players' needs;
        3. Typical polished book reviews done outside of Canada, especially on opening books, might tend towards a rather bland kind of conformity that lacks sufficent insight into the practical value of the book under review;
        4. A Canadian reviewer might be able to answer any follow up questions on chesstalk. :)

Other posters might disagree, or chose to add more possible reasons of their own.

Comment

If you're planning on reviewing books for CCN, with their permission I assume, why not write the publisher and ask for a copy to review? Tell them your circulation. They would likely want a copy of the review.

I assume it's still done that way.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
            If you're planning on reviewing books for CCN, with their permission I assume, why not write the publisher and ask for a copy to review? Tell them your circulation. They would likely want a copy of the review.

I assume it's still done that way.
            I'd be happy enough to use the 6 almost-ready-to-go book reviews I mentioned above, at least to start with.

There still is no post by Larry (or John, or a CFC Exec...) regarding my original post of this thread. The allowance of book reviews anywhere, by the CMA and/or the CFC, under the recent RFP arrangement reached between the CMA and the CFC is not clear to me... perhaps this moderately important business matter was just overlooked. I decided to post here, so that all concerned might see and/or respond.
            Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Monday, 13th May, 2013, 08:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

From the CFC website:

CFC RFP: Books and Equipment Contract

The Chess Federation of Canada (CFC) seeks a vendor to handle its merchandising, including, but not limited to, the retail of books and equipment. The CFC provides prominent space on its website, logistical support in the processing of orders and its brand. The successful applicant provides a marketing strategy consistent with the CFC's goals, while offering competitive pricing to both its membership and the wider chess community. Terms and conditions are negotiable. Those interested in submitting an application, please contact Mark S. Dutton, CFC President, at president@chess.ca.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                I'd be happy enough to use the 6 almost-ready-to-go book reviews I mentioned above, at least to start with.

There still is no post by Larry (or John, or a CFC Exec...) regarding my original post of this thread. The allowance of book reviews anywhere, by the CMA and/or the CFC, under the recent RFP arrangement reached between the CMA and the CFC is not clear to me... perhaps this moderately important business matter was just overlooked. I decided to post here, so that all concerned might see and/or respond.
                I doubt that there would be any rule against book reviews either here or on the CFC website. Just don't advertise another book seller's link to the book. As to whether there would be any interest for paid book reviews you would have to ask the CCN editor as it is his show, his budget and his call.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                  I doubt that there would be any rule against book reviews either here or on the CFC website. Just don't advertise another book seller's link to the book. As to whether there would be any interest for paid book reviews you would have to ask the CCN editor as it is his show, his budget and his call.
                  If no one else comments here or elsewhere first, I'll bring it up with the CCN editor by email in time for his second issue (the July one). Afaik, the June CCN issue that is to come later on is already pretty much full up, as far as material for its content goes.

Comment

I doubt Larry would have a problem with you or anyone else posting book reviews on this site.
                    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Not having ever done book reviews (for even the CFC), I am not sure if one or more very negative (or even lukewarm?) reviews of books being sold to Canadians (and others) by the CMA/CFC would be welcome... the RFP I quoted did mention marketing strategy for books and equipment on the part of the winning bidder.

Still, I seem to vaguely recall that in the past the CFC, at least, may not have been apprehensive about putting out negative/lukewarm reviews of at least a small number of books in its store. As I said earlier, the 6 books I've made point form notes for all happen to have had a fairly positive assessment overall by myself.

Comment

Working...
                      X