Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedor Bohatirchuk by Ludek Pachman

May 12, 2013

The following item appeared for auction today, starting bid US $100. The text is from the bookseller’s description:

Fedor Bohatirchuk
    by Ludek Pachman

1944 chess book on Ukrainian/Canadian Master

Pachman: 8 partii velmistra Bohatyrcuka. Praha, publisher not stated, 1944. Orig. softcover with paper label pasted on front cover, as issued. Mimeographed on cheap paper, with text on rectos only. 1 blank leaf, title leaf, leaves 8-35. 14x20 cm. In Czech. LN 3314, Soukup 18, Mo 96. Good to very good: covers slightly soiled, small ca 0.5 cm tear at the top of front cover, light general signs of use. Text is OK with no writings (I found just one erasable pencil note on p. 16).

The title means in English: 8 Games of Grandmaster Bohatirchuk. The book contains 8 by Pachman annotated games played by master Bohatirchuk against strong Prague chess players (Pachman, Prucha, Kottnauer and others) at the occasion of his visit of Prague in May 1944. It is the only contemporary publication devoted to Bohatirchuk.

Fedor Bohatirchuk (*1892 Kiev - 1984 Canada) was a strong master, USSR co-champion in 1927 (with Romanovsky). He emigrated to Canada in 1949.
    The book has confused pagination (leaf no. 8 follows immediately after the title page) but everything is complete - it is the way, in which the book was published.

The book was issued in 2 versions, one with 35 leaves and another with 83 pages but the content is the same - the 83-page version was issued with incorrect pagination and different text formatting. Our copy is the 35-leaves version.

I read somewhere that edition of the book was 20 copies only - this is not true, the circulation of the book is not known. However, it is a hard-to-find biographical item.
    Last edited by Wayne Komer; Sunday, 12th May, 2013, 07:29 PM.

Re: Fedor Bohatirchuk by Ludek Pachman

From the Ken Whyld Society

A 3-volume work on Fedor Bohatirchuk by Sergey Voronkov in Russian is in preparation – volumes I and II have already gone to press and will be on sale in about a month.

These first volumes deal with Bohatirchuk’s chess career. The third volume which will be published in several months is devoted to politics and the scientific achievements of Dr Bohatirchuk.
 Averbakh as well as Kortchnoi have annotated some games.

Tome I 1892 – 1935
    ISBN 978-5-906254-03-0

Tome II 1935 – 1984
    ISBN 978-5-906254-04-7

The ISBNs don’t appear to be valid at the moment.

Cover pictures at:

http://www.kwabc.org/index.php/new-literature

Comment

I have been told by A.M. that there is a gallery of Bohatirchuk material at:

http://chess-news.ru/node/11940

There is a fine group photo of the 1951 Canadian Championship in Vancouver. The first five were P. Vaitonis, F. Anderson, F. Bohatirchuk, D. Yanofsky and N. Divinsky.

See also:

http://www.pansy-paws.com/mcclelland...ampionship.php

Comment

Pachman booklet on Bohatirchuk

Readers might like to know that the book 8 Games of Grandmaster Bohatirchuk (1944) was auctioned off on eBay on May 19, 2013. The winning bid of three bids was for US $287.00

Item number: 230979427061

Comment

Working...
        X