2013 Calgary International

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Calgary International

The 2013 Calgary International is under way. Already in round 1 there were several upsets. The main one was the loss of IM Edward Porper against Giorgi Kostadinov. The bottom 3 boards all ended with draws despite significant rating differences.
    As a result, round 2 will already see GM vs. GM match-ups.

Today is one of the two game days (the other one being Saturday).
    Games today will start at 11 am and 6 pm Mountain time.

Tournament games are available at:
    http://calgaryinternationalchessclassic.com/Games.html

Standings are at: http://calgaryinternationalchessclas...Standings.html

Pairings are at: http://calgaryinternationalchessclas...IPairings.html

Re: 2013 Calgary International

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
    Hi Vlad,

For pairings what rating is used: CFC or FIDE?

Thanks

Comment

Re: 2013 Calgary International

FIDE pairings are used.

Comment

Re: 2013 Calgary International Rd 2 GM So vs GM MIchalevski 1-0

I enjoyed following the second round game between super GM Wesley So 2701 vs the 4th seeded GM Mikhalevski 2551.
        Wesley traded his queen for three pieces and converted it into a win in the second time control.
        What is interesting to me was the way the white bishop on h6 made moves that are simply difficult to comprehend at the beginning but whose point was understood when the bishop stationed itself on f2.
        The weak f6 pawn was the main target of attack after white neutralized the passed a pawn.
        What a game!
        Last edited by Erwin Casareno; Wednesday, 15th May, 2013, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Re: 2013 Calgary International Rd 2 GM So vs GM MIchalevski 1-0

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
          I enjoyed following the second round game between super GM Wesley So 2701 vs the 4th seeded GM Mikhalevski 2551.
          Wesley traded his queen for three pieces and converted it into a win in the second time control.
          What is interesting to me was the way the white bishop on h6 made moves that are simply difficult to comprehend at the beginning but whose point was understood when the bishop stationed itself on f2.
          The weak f6 pawn was the main target of attack after white neutralized the passed a pawn.
          What a game!
          Yes, tremendous game actually. At one point it looked as if Victor was playing for a win, but eventually he got outplayed.
          Tomorrow most likely the top two players will play, although haven't done pairings yet.

Comment

Re: 2013 Calgary International Rd 4: GM So vs GM van Kampen 1-0

I was not able to follow live the action in the 4th round today. I went to Carleton University in Ottawa with my eldest son James and my wife. We joined an orientation tour of the university campus from 2-4 pm. After a sumptous buffet dinner, i went to visit the RA Chess club for the first time (hoping to witness some action and get some souvenir photos) but did not find the room with people playiing chess. It seems that there is an AGM. I left RA center at 7:45 p.m. and headed back to Toronto.
            The game between super GM Wesley So 2705 vs the second seeded Dutch GM Robin van Kampen 2580 started with the Pirc Defense and the game appeared to be slow and low on energy. Wesley used the semblance of Austrian Attack but it was difficult to understand what the middle game strategy of White.
            What was interesting to me was the 2 prancing knights, who appeared to be dancing on the middle of the board, taking turns on the c5 square.
            The end came when Wesley eliminated all the black queen side pawns.
            Wesley's win gave him the solo lead with 3.5 points in 4 games, after Canada's super GM candidate Eric Hansen drew his game with GM Mikhalevski.
            Last edited by Erwin Casareno; Friday, 17th May, 2013, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X