Vlad at Cafe PI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vlad at Cafe PI

Here I am in Montreal for three days. So of course I had ti visit Cafe PI.
    As it happens there was a backgammon game squeezed in among some 30 chess
    games.
    After much bemoaning his bad luck, one player leaves the game cursing the opponents 'encroyable' fortune despite playing like 'imbecile'! So I tap lightly on the board to see if I might be accepted as an opponent. "On joux a combien?"
    the man asks. "$5 or $ 10" I suggest not wanting to scare the bird with a greater price.
    "$3" says the suspicious sort.
    "Non, merci." say I and turn away.
    OK $5 says the shark not wanting to lose 'un client'.
    So we play for an hour at which some eager spectators ask to join to make a 'chouette'. This is the term denoting a group game with three or more players - where the winner of the previous game matches the stakes of the rest of the field. This single man is in effect the banker or the 'man in the box'.
    Now, the Cafe PI players have evolved their own rules for chouette play which greatly favor the box player. If the best player in the game gets the box, he can make a good run if he is not dislodged from the spot.
    In international play, if the man playing the 'man in the box' defeats him, he takes over the box in the next game.
    At Cafe PI this rule does not apply and it is possible for a man to retain the box position for game after game simply by surrendering to the strongest opponent and getting a plus score against the weakies.
    So, my suggestion to play international rules was overruled mainly on the strength of the insistence of one bystander who 'knew' all the international rules since he had played in New York City! - another hustler game, no doubt.
    So we continued the game under house rules, Not complaining, though - paid for my dinner and then some. So here I am again at Cafe PI awaiting the house sharks to come in the door.

Re: Vlad at Cafe PI

When I left a little after 8, Vlad, Reggie, and Gennaro (and several spectators) were in a dark rear corner of the Cafe - another $5 chouette. I noticed that no consulting was permitted between the members of the two-man "team". That definitely speeds up play, since there is no discussion about what to play.

(also - the poker table was set up - waiting for players).

Comment

In Ottawa chouette action we play that the other side players can not advise the Captain(Opponent of Box) until their individual cube has been turned.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        When I left a little after 8, Vlad, Reggie, and Gennaro (and several spectators) were in a dark rear corner of the Cafe - another $5 chouette. I noticed that no consulting was permitted between the members of the two-man "team". That definitely speeds up play, since there is no discussion about what to play.

(also - the poker table was set up - waiting for players).
        Now, if only Michel Merletti and Gerry Ruben were to show up... THAT would be a cool chouette! :)
        No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
          Now, if only Michel Merletti and Gerry Ruben were to show up... THAT would be a cool chouette! :)
          Michel Merletti is a gentleman and a pleasure to play with. But I assume you meant Gerald Rubin of days long gone. What would be cool about playing an aggressively rude person?
          The 'coolest' chouette I ever played in was with Einstein, Christ and God!
          Einstein was the best player - he played every move precisely.
          Christ was the luckiest - we kept checking his miracle dice for magnets.
          But God won all the money - he kept changing the rules in mid-game!
          Now that was a chouette!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
            Michel Merletti is a gentleman and a pleasure to play with. But I assume you meant Gerald Rubin of days long gone. What would be cool about playing an aggressively rude person?
            The 'coolest' chouette I ever played in was with Einstein, Christ and God!
            Einstein was the best player - he played every move precisely.
            Christ was the luckiest - we kept checking his miracle dice for magnets.
            But God won all the money - he kept changing the rules in mid-game!
            Now that was a chouette!
            Vlad,

Now that you mention it, I know Gerry did have a few tiffs in his day. He was always nice to me, but I do remember one time at the old Gammon club, I witnessed him yelling at someone to leave his side because he was "bad luck". The guy showed up, watched a few rolls in which Gerry rolled pretty bad, so he got angry.

I suppose Gerry was always nice to me because I would just shut my mouth and listen to what he had to say (either about chess or backgammon), and watched him show me his chess win over Pal Benko time and time again.

Michel Merletti was always a true gentleman, whether he was playing chess, backgammon, poker, or French Tarot (and I've played all four with him many times). I remember bumping into him and Denise (last name?) at the CNE in Toronto quite a few years ago at a poker table. They were sitting back-to-back at two separate tables, so I declined to play at either one... well, mainly because my wife said "you're not playing poker today!" :D

Enjoy your stay in Montreal!!!!

Jordan
            No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Gerry was there last night - as a backgammon spectator (quiet, while I was there), and playing chess (quietly) with others.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                Gerry was there last night - as a backgammon spectator (quiet, while I was there), and playing chess (quietly) with others.
                Hugh,

Next time you see Gerry, please pass on my salutations... He may even remember me :D

Jordan

Comment

Hi Vlad, I was wondering how your evening continued after the house sharks came through the door?

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                  Here I am in Montreal for three days. So of course I had ti visit Cafe PI.
                  As it happens there was a backgammon game squeezed in among some 30 chess
                  games.
                  After much bemoaning his bad luck, one player leaves the game cursing the opponents 'encroyable' fortune despite playing like 'imbecile'! So I tap lightly on the board to see if I might be accepted as an opponent. "On joux a combien?"
                  the man asks. "$5 or $ 10" I suggest not wanting to scare the bird with a greater price.
                  "$3" says the suspicious sort.
                  "Non, merci." say I and turn away.
                  OK $5 says the shark not wanting to lose 'un client'.
                  So we play for an hour at which some eager spectators ask to join to make a 'chouette'. This is the term denoting a group game with three or more players - where the winner of the previous game matches the stakes of the rest of the field. This single man is in effect the banker or the 'man in the box'.
                  Now, the Cafe PI players have evolved their own rules for chouette play which greatly favor the box player. If the best player in the game gets the box, he can make a good run if he is not dislodged from the spot.
                  In international play, if the man playing the 'man in the box' defeats him, he takes over the box in the next game.
                  At Cafe PI this rule does not apply and it is possible for a man to retain the box position for game after game simply by surrendering to the strongest opponent and getting a plus score against the weakies.
                  So, my suggestion to play international rules was overruled mainly on the strength of the insistence of one bystander who 'knew' all the international rules since he had played in New York City! - another hustler game, no doubt.
                  So we continued the game under house rules, Not complaining, though - paid for my dinner and then some. So here I am again at Cafe PI awaiting the house sharks to come in the door.

Comment

Hi Vlad, Chesstalk has been down recently. Can you please continue your story as to what happened after you waited for the "Sharks" to enter the café. I assume that a few sharks entered the room.

Please advise.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Thornton View Post
                      Hi Vlad, Chesstalk has been down recently. Can you please continue your story as to what happened after you waited for the "Sharks" to enter the café. I assume that a few sharks entered the room.

Please advise.
                      On my last day there, I was unable to overcome the house rules and registered a small loss for the three days. However, the next time I'm there I expect to do well since there is no shortage of 'action' players. Montreal has a good supply of competent players but no real sharks - the poor chouette rules do not reward good play so that the players do not get really strong.
                      Hopefully, the next time I visit I can convince some players to play accepted international rules. Right now I am looking for inexpensive accommodation to make a trip economical (any suggestions?) On the whole I enjoyed Montreal and look forward to my next visit.

Comment

Vlad wrote:

.....I am looking for inexpensive accommodation.....
                        I guess there is always the Hotel Bevand.... :-)

Comment

Working...
                        X