• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kapuskasing and Sudbury mentioned on Polgar's blog

See:

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2009...uskasking.html

and:

http://www.thesudburystar.com/Articl...aspx?e=1372330

This is where I first heard that Mavros Whissell has won the 2008 Sudbury Chess Championship with a last-round victory over Bob Kiviaho, giving a score of 5/5 ...

Funny enough, the first question posted about the first link above is "Where is Kapuskasing?" lol
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Kapuskasing and Sudbury mentioned on Polgar's blog

Hi there,

The post was news to me, but a funny read none the less.

I think I had better clarify this rather strange sounding "Sudbury" article. It must have been written by Bob Kiviaho, considering how very Kivia-centric it is :) After having read it, my fiance lovingly refers to the article as a 'wank-fest'. I don't think it's so bad...

Robert Whissell 1950-2005
    My dad had beaten Kiviaho on occasion, including in a relatively big Sudbury tourney whereupon Kiviaho smashed dad's glass-plated clock. I guess me getting "revenge" as mentioned in the article refers to the astounding 90$ first place prize which could almost buy an equivalent clock, glass not included.

Revenge is a dish best served... on anything but glass.

Lawrence Day Idea?
    On a related note, after our game (which I've included below), Bob mentioned that his opening idea was something which Lawrence Day had used against him a long time ago, which is interesting. I know some brainy aged pundit will tell me it was invented much further back - but still - it would be interesting to see how Lawrence played the Black side against Bob. Maybe Bob would find that interesting too!

[Event "Sudbury Fall Open"]
    [Site "Laurentian University"]
    [Date "2008.12.01"]
    [Round "5"]
    [White "Whissell, Mavros"]
    [Black "Kiviaho, Robert"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "B27"]
    [WhiteElo "1981"]
    [BlackElo "2271"]
    [PlyCount "63"]
    [EventDate "2008.11.30"]
    [EventType "swiss"]
    [EventRounds "5"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nc3 Nc6 3. Nf3 g6 4. d4 Bg7 5. Be3 Qa5 6. d5 Ne5 7. Bd2 d6 8. Bb5+
    Bd7 9. Bxd7+ Nxd7 10. O-O Ngf6 11. Qe2 O-O 12. Ne1 Rab8 13. f4 b5 14. e5 dxe5
    15. fxe5 Ne8 16. e6 Ndf6 17. Ne4 Qb6 18. exf7+ Rxf7 19. Ng5 Rf8 20. Ne6 Rf7 21.
    Ng5 Rf8 22. Ne6 Nxd5 23. Nxf8 Bxf8 24. Nf3 Rd8 25. Rae1 Rd6 26. Kh1 Ng7 27. Bh6
    Nf5 28. Bxf8 Kxf8 29. Ng5 Kg8 30. Rxf5 gxf5 31. Qh5 Rg6 32. Qxh7+ 1-0

Finally it should be mentioned that Michael Guignard played a really terrific game against Bob and thus also beat Bob in this tournament. Mike forced Bob into a beaturiful ending with 5 pawns (3 pawn islands) against a rook and Michael converted very smoothly. I think Michael's game was the best game of the tournament.

Happy New Year to all,

Mavros

Comment

Originally posted by Mavros Whissell View Post
      Hi there,

The post was news to me, but a funny read none the less.
      Was the event CFC rated?
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Thanks for the nice game and the colourful story, Mavros! Congratulations on your victory over GMC Kiviaho; you had a bit of extra motivation, it seems! The opening seems to be something akin to a Pterodactyl Defence, which normally arises out of the move order 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 g6 3.d4 Bg7; IM Day has knocked off several IMs and GMs with this.
        :) :)

Comment

Hi Frank:

I've seen it played: 1.d4 g6 2.e4 Bg7 3.Nf3 c5 ( Fritz gives +/= or slight advantage to white ). It continues with 4.dxc4 Nf6 5.Bc4 Qa5+ ( 6...Nxe4?? 7.Qd5+- ) 6.c3 Qxc4+/=.

Would this be considered a " Modern " Defence?

Bob

Comment

I think Bob was riffing on the theme as I didn't have Nc6 so early: 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 g6 3.d4 Bg7 4.Nc3 Qa5 5.Be3 when 5..Nc6 would transpose to your game but the better move order is 5..Nf6 6.Qd2 Nc6 since 7.d5 can be met with ..Nb4!? (the R/a1 is unguarded), or 7.dxc5 Ng4 with interesting compensation for the pawn. The line was temporarily hot theory in 1962-63 with Istvan Bilek and Florin Gheorgui upholding the Black side but a decade later 8.Bc4 was considered better for White according to "theory" (which was *Hyper-Accelerated-Dragons* by Keene and Levy). I'd convinced myself 8..h5!? was playable and several opponents blundered with 9.0-0-0? missing that 9..Nxe3 10.fxe3 was forced because of the Bg7-h6 skewer on 10.Qxe3??. Better is 9.0-0 allowing Black to recover the pawn by 9..Nxe3 10.Qxe3 Bh6 altho this may not be best since 11.Qd3 Qxc5 12.Qd5! would produce a better endgame for White. As far as I know the other 9th move alternatives are unexplored.

Comment

pterodactyl munch

hmmm, +/= eh. Fritz sees a bunch of tactical lines but I see an Open Sicilian where White cannot play Nc3 to control d5 and therefore is likely to become tasty dragon fodder in the middle-game.

Comment

On a quick run, Fritz gave 6.c3 initially in my opening above. Lawrence was dubious about this because the square was not then available to W for Nc3, to control d5. So I let Fritz chew on it longer and it did change the major line to 6.Qd2 Qxc5 7.Qc3 Kf8 +/= ( this last move surprises me ).

Bob

Comment

Pterodactyl classification

Bob:

I think the Pterodactyl line can be viewed as a hybrid Sicilian / Modern Defence, since it has elements of both. One can't always use an ECO classification, like B06 or B27, for example, as the best fit, since these 500 'boxes' were decided in the mid-1960s, and opening theory has progressed a long way since that time. Move order subtleties can open up new possibilities as well, which aren't necessarily covered in the books. All in all, I think the Pterodactyl line is certainly playable (I've fooled around with it a bit), and can be an excellent choice against a booked-up opponent. IM Day is arguably the world's expert on the variation; I think it would be a great subject for an opening monograph!
                  :) :)

Comment

Whissell vs. Kiviaho posted on chess5.com

I put the Whissell vs Kiviaho game up on chess5.com, along with a few comments, and a rating of 8/10.:)

Comment

Re: Whissell vs. Kiviaho posted on chess5.com

Here is the link to Chess5 ( http://www.chess5.com ), the website Frank used to post the game. Go to " Public Games " ( shown on homepage at the top ), and then find the game in the list of January games. Click on " view " and you get the game to play over.

Bob

Comment

Re: Whissell vs. Kiviaho posted on chess5.com

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                        Here is the link to Chess5 ( http://www.chess5.com ), the website Frank used to post the game. Go to " Public Games " ( shown on homepage at the top ), and then find the game in the list of January games. Click on " view " and you get the game to play over.

Bob
                        I think that game is pretty much how white rolls up black when he misplays that Pterydactyl variation of the Sicilian. I had a opponent from Singapore roll me up pretty much the same way some years back when I tried it. Not that I was trying for a Sicilian, but after g6 and c5 white can try to set up a Sicilian structure. It was like someone took a can opener to my king side pawn formation.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the opening variations, Lawrence. I appreciate that if I had continued on auto-pilot with 6.Qd2 in the game, Bob could achieve your variation with 6...Nf6 by transposition through a less-good move order. As it is I'm glad your game with Bob was long enough ago that move orders were not fresh in his mind. I think novel or rare opening ideas will always be good in chess because our memory capacity is finite.

Thanks Frank and Bob Armstrong for the nice comments and posting the game, encouraging as always! Frank you are right about the intent of the repitition. I figure that posting this game is fair game since Bob Kiviaho's article on the Sudbury Championship could stand alone without my name in it :) Bob K has vowed to start studying openings again which sucks, because that was his only easily visible weakness (and to me that is the easiest one to fix). Then again, he still likes to use every last second of the time control.

Also to Gary, yes the tournament is CFC rated, but I doubt a delay in the posting is on the part of the CFC. They've been doing a really good job as of last year and my guess is that it will continue in 2009.

Mavros

Comment

that second article is transcendentally dope...

Comment

Working...
                            X