X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IM Edward Porper 4th in Chicago Open

see Susan Polgar's blog post here:

http://www.susanpolgar.blogspot.ca/2...bson-wins.html

There were two other Canadians I spotted in the partial crosstable in that blog post. Congratulations Edward, well done.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: IM Edward Porper 4th in Chicago Open

Did he fulfilled the GM norm by his performance?
    :)

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
      Did he fulfilled the GM norm by his performance?
      :)
      According to a related thread I later saw on the CFC discussion board, he did get a GM norm. Apparently other norms for Canadians too - see:

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...-Edward-Porper
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Pretty fantastic result by IM Porper, beating up a bunch of strong players and drawing most of the rest. Even though he lost the penultimate round he managed to beat one of my favorite players Conrad Holt in the last round. Also kudos to Michael Kleinman for getting the IM norm even with losses in the last 2 of 3 rounds. I can only imagine how close he was to getting the GM norm if he had gotten a bit luckier in the last couple rounds.
        Shameless self-promotion on display here
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

I personally talked to Edward Porper at the tournament and he thought after his start against two very low rated players (even though he won both) that he was out of contention for a GM norm. I hope he got it. He scored 3 wins, 2 draws, and 1 loss against 6 GMs! and beat Conrad Holt in a tough final game. GM Holt couldnt get enough chess. On one day he won the Game 10 minutes tournament in the morning and then played two GM tournament games later that day. WOW! Michael Kleinman was tracking a GM norm for several rounds and Razvan Preotu started very well but faded. Ditto Mike Dougherty in the under 2300.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
            I personally talked to Edward Porper at the tournament and he thought after his start against two very low rated players (even though he won both) that he was out of contention for a GM norm. I hope he got it. He scored 3 wins, 2 draws, and 1 loss against 6 GMs! and beat Conrad Holt in a tough final game. GM Holt couldnt get enough chess. On one day he won the Game 10 minutes tournament in the morning and then played two GM tournament games later that day. WOW! Michael Kleinman was tracking a GM norm for several rounds and Razvan Preotu started very well but faded. Ditto Mike Dougherty in the under 2300.
            Edward actually overperformed it by half a point, he only needed a draw in the last round against Conrad Holt.

Comment

Working...
            X