Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thessaloniki Grand Prix 2013

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post

If Dominguez wins, he will be clear first. If he draws, then the tie-breaks will be enacted to sort out joint first with Caruana and Kamsky.

(more to follow)
    Dominguez Perez Leinier won!

Comment

Eleventh and Last Round (conclusion)

Caruana-Kamsky

The opening was a typical anti-Marshall.
      (Kamsky) The critical position was after 26…h5. He was under time pressure. With seconds on the clock he played 35….Kh7? and resigned two moves later.
      Caruana caught up with Kamsky and so now the critical game is Dominguez vs Topalov. If Dominguez wins, then he is clear first. If he draws then there will be a three-way tie for first. In direct encounters they have one win each. They each have the same number of wins and one loss. The winner’s cup will be decided by the Berger tie-break.

Bacrot-Ivanchuk

(Anastasiya) Can you tell us what happened today? (Vassily) My opening, a Grunfeld, was completely bad. Then, white played 22.Bg5. I don’t know what the idea was behind that?
      (Anastasiya) Maybe he wanted you to play Bf6.
      (Vassily) Yes, force a draw and then we could go to the beach.
      (Anastasiya) But you didn’t want a draw and already swam today?
      (Vassily) Yes, I wanted to swim even more..but I had a desire to finish the tournament. In this tournament I lost everything. So I wanted to take my chances and white is in some trouble.
      After 28.Qxa7 I played Bd4. I didn’t expect the reply 29.Rbd1.
      Terrible opening for me and then suddenly I started to play. If you can put my game from yesterday up on the board I can show you an excellent moment – something I missed.
      During the game I could not see the correct idea in this position. I didn’t check this on the computer but, during the swim in the pool, I found an excellent variation (audience laughs). Suddenly black has no good moves and I am winning. Hikaru gave me a chance by playing 24.g5
      (Anastasiya) Have you enjoyed your stay in this hotel?
      (Vassily) Organization, hotel ..everything is nice but my play…(face in hands) (audience laughs).
      ++++++++

Some comments on chessbomb as Chucky was winning:

- Chucky will be very happy after his first win
      - He needs this as a morale boost
      - Nice tactics just before time control
      - Á vaincre sans perils on triomphe sans gloire
      - I'm happy Ivanchuk finally came on the scoreboard, he would be sadly missed from the elite tournaments
      ++++++++

Morozevich-Ponomariov

The opening was a Trompowsky. These two played in the last round at Zug and also had a draw. Fatigue clearly decided the issue.
      +++++++++

Nakamura-Svidler

(Nakamura) It is the story of the tournament. I get surprised in the opening and don’t react correctly. I was losing most of the game. He overpressed and I won.

(Svidler blundered with 53….Rxf5 and Naka used his passed e-pawn to victory)

I thought the organization was great and the location. I enjoyed everything. It was put together on short notice. I only found out about it in the third or fourth round in Norway. As for my result, I managed to win today, but I am sick of chess now and yet I shall be in Moscow for the Tal Memorial next week.
      ++++++++

Dominguez-Topalov

(Dominguez) – I knew I had some chances when I saw that Kamsky had lost. I played quite badly out of the opening though.

Chessbase: Topalov obtained a comfortable position out of the opening. However he overextended by putting his knight on e3 and slowly but surely Dominguez obtained play against Black's weak pawns. He was able to simplify into an endgame where his passed b-pawn was a serious concern to his opponent. It's possible that the endgame was drawn regardless, but Topalov didn't find a way and Dominguez was extremely precise. He won the game and the Grand Prix with a remarkable 2926 performance.

I consider this the best result in my career.
      My father was the only one helping me. I was on my own (with Houdini).

(In fact, for whole two days he was without the computer, which broke down, and he couldn’t even prepare for the games against Kasimdzhanov and Nakamura).

(Anastasiya) Which was the most difficult game for you?
      (Dominguez) When you play such strong tournaments there are no easy games. I had to fight to the end in every game. The game against Bacrot (the 80-mover in Round Seven) was difficult because I was worse all the time. It took a lot of energy not to lose this game.
      First I will celebrate this result and then think about my chances.

(It is his second time in Greece; he was here in 2004 for the Olympiad.) I was a spectator, a guest of the Cuban Chess Federation. I stayed the whole Olympiad. I enjoyed playing here because I won but I had a really great time. The food is great, the city is wonderful. I went for walks every day with my father. One of the best places that I have ever played in.
      +++++++++

The prize-giving was streamed live. Several officials, including Ilyumzhinov, spoke. What appeared to be trophies in glass cases were given to the top winners. This was a disappointment to me. I am so used to watching awards on The Simpsons that I half expected a large cardboard novelty cheque to go to the winner!

FIDE President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov announced that the next Grand Prix, scheduled for 3-17 July in Berlin, has been moved to Beijing, China.

In any case, the order of prizes was:

1.Dominquez 8; 2. Caruana 7.5; 3.Kamsky 7.5; 4. Ponomariov 6; 5. Grischuk 6; 6. Kamizhdanov 5.5; 7.Nakamura 5; 8/9. Topalov, Svidler 4.5; 10. Bacrot 4.; 11. Morozevich 4 and 12. Ivanchuk 3.5.

With clear first place, Dominguez got 25000 euros and 170 Grand Prix points. The prize schedule is quite generous – twelfth place, for example, gets 7000 euros and 10 GP points.
      ++++++++

The National Anthem of Cuba and the anthem of FIDE were played and then everyone went out on to the terrace for cocktails.
      ++++++++++

The next big tournament is the Tal Memorial in Moscow 12-24 June. The list of participants is Carlsen, Kramnik, Karjakin, Anand, Caruana, Nakamura, Mamedyarov, Morozevich, Gelfand and Andreikin. I don’t know Andreikin and I long to see Mamedyarov after reading that he was forfeited a game against Azaladze at Plovidiv last year because he arrived at the board 10 seconds late. Now that is a zero tolerance rule!
      ++++++++

At the end of this long tournament, perhaps I can indulge in a bit of fun in these last paragraphs:

I have joked about Kamsky’s lucky white suit, which isn’t really white but ecru. I have meant no disrespect but in the steamy Greek weather everyone else was wearing short-sleeve shirts yet Kamsky kept to his suit. And he kept winning.

I have tried to think of other famous suits that really are white and I came up with John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever, Tom Wolfe, Colonel Sanders, Morgan Freeman as God in Bruce Almighty, Mr. Roarke in Fantasy Island, Charlie Chan and Mark Twain.

To me however, the most famous was Alec Guinness, who was lead in an English comedy from 1951 called The Man in the White Suit.

Guinness is a brilliant young chemist, who invents a brilliant white fabric, which is incredibly strong, does not get dirty and never wears out. He has a suit made of it, which he wears. But in the mill towns of England’s North, both management and unions realize that if the cloth never wears out, it will be the death of their industry.

In the climax of the film, he is running through the night in his glowing white suit, pursued by everyone. The slightly radioactive cloth begins to self-destruct and he is left standing in his underwear and his pursuers are happy.

And that is all I know about white suits.
      Last edited by Wayne Komer; Tuesday, 4th June, 2013, 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling, forgot prize list

Comment

I have found the photo of a chess prize-giving with a large cardboard novelty cheque, just like on The Simpsons

http://www.chessvibes.be/reports/top...e-live-ratings

It is from the Zug tournament and is endorsed to Veselin Topalov for Twenty-five Thousand Euros Only.

Comment

Working...
        X