National Open - Las Vegas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Open - Las Vegas

Coming in a few days - Wesley So top registered.
    Wesley So withdrew from the recent Chicago Open after posting 4 points from six rounds - a full 1 1/2 points from the lead.
    Now, in the Las Vegas Tournament, he is listed as the top rated entrant but interestingly he is listed as from Canada! Is this a posting error or is he indicating a preference? He would definately be an asset to Canada in the next Olympiad!:)

THE National Open website>>>>www.vegaschessfestival.com/enter/entries.php
    Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Wednesday, 29th May, 2013, 09:07 AM.

Re: National Open - Las Vegas

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
    Now, in the Las Vegas Tournament, he is listed as the top rated entrant but interestingly he is listed as from Canada! Is this a posting error or is he indicating a preference? He would definately be an asset to Canada in the next Olympiad!
    As I understand he is a resident of Canada. But he must switch federations to be eligible for CAN too.

Comment

At the same time as the National Open in Las Vegas, featuring W.So, there is also W.SoP - i.e. the World Series of Poker (May 29-July 13 at the Rio).

http://www.wsop.com/2013/2013_wsop_schedule.pdf

Comment

i'm *hopefully* able to attend the NO this year. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          As I understand he is a resident of Canada. But he must switch federations to be eligible for CAN too.
          I was thinking two years down the road when our Olympiad team could be>>>>>

Wesley So
          Anton Kovalyev
          Eric Hansen
          Bator Sambuev

and whoever continues to improve from -
          Aman Hambleton
          Nikolay Noritsyn
          Leonid Gertzhoy

and some possible
          NEW JUNIOR
          Canada could break into the top 20 in a few years! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            Given how popular chess is in the Philippines, Wesley So must be a bit of a national hero. He also seems to be living in USA now, with a lot of support for his chess there. As great as it would be for Canadian Chess, I am not sure if it would be a two-way-road.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
              Given how popular chess is in the Philippines, Wesley So must be a bit of a national hero. He also seems to be living in USA now, with a lot of support for his chess there. As great as it would be for Canadian Chess, I am not sure if it would be a two-way-road.
              Alex,
              I believe his parents live in Scarborough - he may even join the Scarborough Chess Club!:p

Comment

Originally posted by Derek Odom View Post
                i'm *hopefully* able to attend the NO this year. :)
                One of these days I will have to get to one of those. There are usually cheap flights available from Detroit.

Comment

Working...
                X