The new CCN: I don't like it because...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new CCN: I don't like it because...

I've just emailed the June CFC newsletter to Michael von Keitz, and CFC members (and FQE members who signed up for it, if I understand the CFC-FQE accord) should get it soon.

The first couple of issues will be experiments, and I'll want some feedback about it, but I don't want my editor's inbox melting; so this thread is to collect complaints and strongly worded suggestions and maybe generate discussion about why people don't like it and what they think would make it better.

[there's another thread for "likes": here]

I'll read all the posts.
    Last edited by John Upper; Wednesday, 5th June, 2013, 10:49 PM. Reason: added link to anti-thread

Re: The new CCN: I don't like it because...

The CFC Governors approved making the June Chess Canada Newsletter available to everyone. And it's online now at the CFC Newsfeed.

Dig in, everybody.

Comment

Can't find it. Is this a joke or something??

Comment

Well, nothing is all bad or good so here's my first impression comments.

Nice to see our armed forces chess so nicely covered, and I'm serious.

I think the thick bar of advertising on the left hand side is too much. It looks like abut 20 percent of the usable space per page being wasted. Also, anyone wanting to print out several pages would burn though an ink cartridge pretty fast.

The critical positions look good. The pictures are nice. It's always good when a player wants to look at the magazine to see if one of their games or picutre is included.

Probably I'll look at it further in the coming days.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Yip View Post
          Can't find it. Is this a joke or something??
          I originally posted the story with a link at the bottom of the page which required people to actually read the post before they could find the link.

My goal was to deter people who weren't prepared to even read the post from finding the PDF and complaining.

Oh the irony.

Comment

The CFC Governors approved making the June Chess Canada Newsletter available to everyone. And here it is....

Since the CFC Executive Director is currently very busy dealing with CFC ratings-database issues, they've let me post it here, on the Newsfeed.
            This is the whole Newsletter... minus the PGN, which will either appear here later or (my preference) be emailed to CFC members like normal.

Since we want to see how often it's downloaded, I have to be an ogre and threaten everyone:

If we find a direct link to the PDF anywhere, we'll take it down and you'll just have to wait to get it via email.

I've already created two threads on ChessTalk for responses: one for "I don't like it because..." the other for "It's not so bad because..."
            If you have comments, please post them there.

So where's the link to the PDF? It's invisible [edited] orange -- I wanted you to read this before you clicked. To find the link, just move your cursor to the right of the very last word of this post, or highlight the entire page via Ctrl-A and you'll see it.

I hope you like it. HERE IT IS
            Last edited by Michael Yip; Friday, 7th June, 2013, 02:12 AM.

Comment

I think it's too long. I still treat it as a magazine, preferring to read it in print format not on screen. For example, I printed off the appendix to read the rationale for length.

Comment

I agree with Ken, again. These things are way too long. I never play through games on the computer, so I skip all the games and look at the verbiage.

Also:
                - don't like all that red
                - a few typos (I used to mark a lot of Black wins "1-0" too, so I sympathise)
                "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

My initial impression is favourable but I am having a hard time liking the red diagrams and the very bright and very yellow post-it notes...
                  Comments about content will have to wait until I get into the content quite a bit more thoroughly. You surely cannot please everyone,
                  but it is very commendable. Content is King - you must be able to pay for, cajole, harass or trick people into providing quality content...
                  Best of luck and regards.
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                    a few typos (I used to mark a lot of Black wins "1-0" too, so I sympathise)
                    Let me know about any mis-stated results, I can fix those in the PGN before it goes out.

BTW, I just checked quickly now, if you're thinking Turner - Bowes, that's the result I was sent.

Comment

I was thinking about the game Leblanc v Leveillee.
                      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                        Let me know about any mis-stated results, I can fix those in the PGN before it goes out.

BTW, I just checked quickly now, if you're thinking Turner - Bowes, that's the result I was sent.
                        Yes. I submitted Turner-Bowes with 1-0 instead of the correct 0-1

Comment

Keep "black" diagrams only - no red, blue, or other coloured ones.
                          Perhaps vary the red on each page - use other colours as well.

As mentioned in the newsletter, the lack of ratings means a gap in the continuity of rating comparisons (or "snapshots"). If you don't want to put it in the newsletter, how about a link to monthly lists of all players? There is a monthly Newsletter archive - how about a monthly Rating List archive?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
                            Yes. I submitted Turner-Bowes with 1-0 instead of the correct 0-1
                            Thanks for 'fessing up Fred.

... but that's still not an alibi for me as an editor: I read the report (of course) so I knew Bowes won the event, and I knew he didn't lose any games, so I should have stopped to do a consistency check and spotted the error.

I'll fix it in the PGN when I'm told how we intend to distribute it.

Comment

Thanks Hugh, that's a pretty good idea about a monthly ratings archive.... I'll folllow up on that with MvK.

I know (of course) that non-black for text or diagrams is very unusual. But could you say more about why it's problem? (do you habitually print the CCN, and so get dinged by the extra expense of coloured toner?)

I know at the London Candidates matches they used red display boards, and lots of people found them hard to read. But that was for a reason that doesn't apply here: red light diffuses differently and looks blurry at a distance.

BTW the colour scheme is likely to vary, but the red used is the RGB equivalent of the Canadian flag red... if it looks too orange or wrong, it might be a monitor issue (one of my own two monitors makes it look way too orange, and I hate the way it looks on it). I suspect this problem of consistent standards is one reason so many editors go with grey.

Comment

Working...
                              X