The new CCN: is not so bad because...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new CCN: is not so bad because...

I've just emailed the June CFC newsletter to Michael von Keitz, and CFC members should get it soon. Ditto FQE members who signed up for it, if I understand the CFC-FQE accord.

The first couple of issues will be experiments, and I'll want some feedback about it, but I don't want my editor's inbox melting.

This thread is to collect compliments (if any) and mild-mannered suggestions about anything you like about it which you'd be OK with seeing more of. Ooops, ending in a preposition; I guess editing used my good grammar all up.

There is another thread for criticism: here.

I'll read all the posts.
    Last edited by John Upper; Wednesday, 5th June, 2013, 10:51 PM. Reason: added anti-thread

Re: The new CCN: is not so bad because...

The CFC Governors approved making the June Chess Canada Newsletter available to everyone. And it's online now at the CFC Newsfeed.

Dig in, everybody.

Comment

I think it's better than the previous version... this is the first time I've spent more than 2 minutes looking at CCN. Still haven't got around to actually reading anything, but maybe I'll look again tomorrow.

Comment

Got to read on a phone. Thus, the left red column is a disaster LOL

Regarding a content:

imo, it would have been good to mention too that Kasparov came to Canada after defending his title in Seville, 2007 (not only that he won it 3 years ago, more accurate 2.5 y - won in 1985 November, and WBC was in 1988 February).
        There is a misprint with 2005- Third visit (must be 2007).

V.Plotkin - D.Gordon game (blunder)
        I was kibitzing it. David was in a deep time trouble (0-1 min) for many moves (Ontario Open was with an increment). When Victor made a big blunder with 61.Rc8, he seemed to noticed that and to shiver (something like "oh crap" LOL). Nevertheless, David did not see it and game went on for 20 more moves :)

As for pictures from Ontario Open - there are several more:

Album - https://picasaweb.google.com/1143172...eat=directlink

The winner (distracted from playing online) and me :)

Comment

I love the emphasis on Canadian content at varying levels.

Comment

I agree with Ken. Also like the layout.
            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

not so bad?

Outstanding work John. I just had my first read thru, and it exceeds all expectations!
              The emphasis on Canadian content, tournament reports, layout, lots of pictures and colour, all fantastic.
              I love the appendix and your defence of the new format and direction.

The new Chess Canada will be a welcome shot in the arm for Chess in Canada.
              Thanks!

Comment

Good move!!Pictures,articles and games.
                Well done.

Comment

thanks for the compliments on the appearance.

Good to hear compliments from people other than Bob --- I've known him for... 20 year (?? WTF ?? ) and it's hard to take compliments from a friend. BTW he was quite good at responding to requests for extra info for the MCC Champions article, which is what I expected and why I asked him to write the lead-off for the series: I wanted a nice high-bar to set the standared for future installments, and he delivered.

Thanks Bob.

Comment

Thanks for posting the photo; it was taken about 2 minutes after the episode I wrote about in the CCN, and Bator is being a good sport there.

But you know Egid., if I'd had that photo a week ago to run in the CCN, I would have cropped out the fan-boy on the right. :)

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                      Thanks for posting the photo; it was taken about 2 minutes after the episode I wrote about in the CCN, and Bator is being a good sport there.

But you know Egid., if I'd had that photo a week ago to run in the CCN, I would have cropped out the fan-boy on the right. :)
                      Yelizaveta Orlova is playing in Leiden Netherlands.

Comment

Working...
                      X