• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Great chess quotes

Great Chess Quotes

February 26, 2016

The advertising blurb for a new book by Danny Gormally

Title: Insanity, passion and addiction – a year inside the chess world

The book contains about 25 deeply annotated games played by the author in 2014-2015, and in addition, some 25 well annotated games of other players. Included are Gormally’s texts and notes, mainly about the tournaments, where he participated in this period.

From the back cover: English chess Grandmaster Danny Gormally finds his life at a crossroads. Bored with Berlin defences, sick of the endless grind of the English chess circuit, he tries his luck on the European scene. In this at times hilarious and tragic account, Gormally shares the inner workings of the chess world — a world riven with insecurities, strange social customs and petty rivalries, while casting his analytical eye even on topics as disparate as eccentric waiters, strange Amsterdam zoos and inspiring mountain passes. It’s a story you won’t want to miss.

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

March 4, 2016

There is a recent interview with Boris Spassky in the Russian newspaper Sport Express, the translation of which is given at chess24.com.

Here is how it is characterized by Colin McGourty:

The 10th World Chess Champion Boris Spassky has always been one of the most eloquent men in chess, and although the 79-year-old now struggles to move too far from his Moscow apartment little else seems to have changed. In a new interview he discusses an acrimonious divorce, the portrayal of himself and Bobby Fischer in the film Pawn Sacrifice, what really happened during the 1972 match (was one of his seconds a US spy?), his encounters with Viktor Korchnoi and much more.

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/bor...m-waging-a-war

The following excerpt is about Fischer’s funeral:

Were you at Fischer’s funeral?

I couldn’t get there – my French wife objected. Later, when I went to Reykjavik, I laid flowers on his grave. Fischer gave directions in advance – where he should be buried, what music should play and who could carry him on his final journey. There were three chess players on that list – Andor Lilienthal, Lajos Portisch and myself. The music he chose was Green Green Grass of Home by Tom Jones.

Comment

• Boris Vasilievich Spassky

One begins to see why Boris Vasilievich is so well liked and deservedly so.
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

‘Superior skill at chess does not indicate superior intelligence; it only indicates superior skill at chess.’

Source: an article entitled ‘A Page of Hints’ by C.J.S. Purdy,*Chess World, November 1957, pages 242-243.
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Following the Canadian Open in 1971, I spent many pleasant hours in conversation during walks with Boris Spassky and recollections come back from time to time.
            In one walk, just after exiting a travel office, Spassky mentioned that his 'tail' a KGB agent might get upset over our changing his ticket to visit Toronto and play in the CNE Open that Labour Day. I stopped abruptly and asked "Will that cause a problem for you?" as I had been the one to convince him of the detour.
            With a pleasant smile on his face, he said "The KGB has 100 files on me - 101 will not matter." We continued the walk.

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

March 9, 2016

There is a YouTube video in which Peter Heine Nielsen gives his evaluation of the players in Candidates 2016.

He is a burly guy with great hair, a strong chin and a serious demeanour.

This prompted one viewer to say:

Peter Heine Nielsen looks like a Peter Svidler who just woke up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJgX...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Bobby Fischer had good taste in music.

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

March 21, 2016

Two from the Candidates

Before Candidates 2016 in Moscow started, it was announced that it would have a confession booth where players could televise themselves to the audience and give their thoughts on the play.

After nine rounds I have not seen a tape from a confessional. Perhaps they are only shown on Norwegian TV or maybe the players are too busy to use them.

This quote from Sagar Shah in chessbase.com

In the playing area there will be closed booths with cameras and players will come in during the games to share their opinions about the position.

I met Peter and told him how badly we will miss his commentary at this event. “Yes that’s the running joke”, replied Svidler. “I think after the first few moves I will go to the 'confession booth' and commentate about what’s going on in the games of other players!”

https://en.chessbase.com/post/openin...andidates-2016
                  ________

Anish Giri is now perceived as a very solid, drawing master – a reputation that Peter Leko already has.

Anish was against Fabiano this afternoon and Giri had to settle for a ninth draw in nine games after 7 hours play and 96 moves.

Earlier this morning there was this tweet:

(Mig Greegard) – Somewhere in Budapest, Peter Leko tunes in to the Candidates broadcast and sees Giri-Caruana: “Hey, things are finally getting interesting!”

Comment

David Janowski "... could follow the wrong path with greater determination than any man I ever met!"*

- Frank Marshall (in his collection of his best games....according to Wikipedia :) )
                    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Great Chess Quotes

March 24, 2016

Rarely does one get to add a chess quote to a previous one. But…

At Candidates 2016, Moscow during Round Nine, Egor Piskunov related an anecdote in which Anish Giri, took one of the bishops from his board back to the hotel with him after the game.

In Round 10, he asked Anish about it and got this elaboration:

I take a piece to have something in my hand like the Arabs have stones. People do it to calm them down when they are nervous.

Sometimes you take a piece, put in your pocket and sometimes you forget to give it right back.

It has happened to me a few times. If I had kept them all, I would have a complete set by now but I am kind enough to give them all back.

Comment

• Kasparov - "Vishy may not yet have reached his prime."

Originally posted by Garry Kimovich Kasparov
                        Thanks, but who knows? Vishy may not yet have reached his prime!
                        Kasparov, replying to a compliment regarding his own chess accomplishments, shows some respect for the great Indian GM.

Comment

• people should stop writing such nonsense

US GM Sam Shankland: "... people should stop writing [such] nonsense about these elite players."

... in response to foolish criticism of the play of Anand and Giri at the recently concluded Candidates in Moscow.

How Karjakin Won etc.

Shankland's commentary on the event made for good reading.

Comment

• Great Chess Quotes

Great Chess Quotes

March 31, 2016

In an article on the St. George Defence and its eccentric proponent by Gennadi Sosonko:

http://www.chess-news.ru/node/20977

he talks about Tony Miles and says:

Anthony John Miles (1955-2001) was born in Birmingham on April 23 on St. George's Day and named the 1…a6 defence after one of the most famous saints in the Christian religion. (referring to the game he won against Anatoly Karpov in 1980)

Like Fischer, Tony Miles successfully fought against Soviet grandmasters. He won against the strongest: Smyslov, Spassky, Tal, Karpov, Korchnoi, Geller and Polugaevsky.

Alexey Suetin (from whom Miles won by playing 1.e4 c6 2. d4 Na6) complained: "I like all the players in England, except Miles. He did not treat me with the respect to which I am accustomed. "

The article is in Russian. It has lots of photos of Miles and is a fitting tribute.

Comment

• They played chess wordlessly and, when they stood up, they had had a conversation.

Whenever Benjamin and Brecht were together in Denmark, an atmosphere of confidence and trust immediately arose between them. Brecht had an enormous liking for Benjamin; in fact, he loved him. I think they understood each other without saying a word. They played chess wordlessly and, when they stood up, they had had a conversation. —Ruth Berlau.
                              Beautifully expressed.

Image: Brecht & Benjamin, Skovsbostrand, Denmark.
                              Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Thursday, 31st March, 2016, 02:53 PM. Reason: a less than perfect comma

Comment

• Great Chess Quotes

Great Chess Quotes

April 1, 2016

In a long interview in 2011, Vladimir Akopian had this to say:

Could you please name the ten best chess players of all time?

The best, of course, was Fischer. The second is probably Alekhine, and the third is Kasparov. That top-3 is quite clear. Then Capablanca, and then at about the same level – Spassky, Karpov, Botvinnik, Petrosian, Tal…

It turns out I’m naming only World Champions, but that’s probably how it should be. I also have a very high opinion of the play of Larsen and Stein. Those are all chess players from the past; I think any of them would be stronger than the majority of chess players in the current generation. Again, I mean in terms of chess understanding, and not being armed with stunning novelties. Nowadays people sometimes make moves in the endgame that wouldn’t even have crossed the minds of any of those past players. Their general chess culture and education wouldn’t have allowed them to make such moves.

http://chesspro.ru/_events/2011/barskii4_enc.html

Comment

Working...
                                X