• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Komer
    replied
    Re: Great chess quotes

Great Chess Quotes

August 3, 2015

There was an unusual format in a Russia-China match in Heixiazi at the end of July. One player represents each team each day in a knockout match (in chess blitz and Armageddon were used to prevent encounters ending as draws) and the winning player stays for the next day. The match continues until all members of one team have lost.

The hitch here is that, if one player wins all his mini-matches, then the rest don’t play at all. This doomsday scenario actually took place prompting two quotable comments:

Chess24.com - Sergey Karjakin has single-handedly defeated China 4:0 in the first half of an unusual new China-Russia match held from 29 July to 1 August. It began with Karjakin playing rising star Wei Yi, and as he won their first-day encounter he continued to represent Russia on the second day as well. He went on to beat Ding Liren, Ni Hua and then Yu Yangyi, meaning his Russian teammates Evgeny Tomashevsky and Alexander Morozevich had effectively travelled to China as tourists!

David Lada – If Russia wants to win the next chess Olympiad, they should let Sergey Karjakin play on all boards in their match with China, like a simul…

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/kar...my-beats-china

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Komer
    replied

Great Chess Quotes

August 2, 2015

From Stuart Conquest at the British in Coventry:

I won £12 (8/11; 3rd=) in the blitz tournament today at the British Chess Championships. Not my finest hour...plus the entry fee was £30!

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Komer
    replied

Great Chess Quotes

July 30, 2015

And what is Levon Aronian doing these days?

He is at home in Armenia and evidently working on his cooking. In a photo, wearing a Team Pacquiao T-shirt, he is presenting an array of huge mushrooms that he has just picked, ready for grilling.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...53117424978110

“The result of this morning's Kotayk province mushroom picking! Grilling and then a soup. They say I'm a brilliant chef.”

This elicited a great non-chess quote from a viewer:

“Please be careful. ..some mushrooms can be eaten only once.”

It is not clear to me, and maybe a knowledgeable reader can provide enlightenment, as to whether mushrooms can be used in sinigang.

This is a Filipino soup or stew characterized by its sour and savory taste, most often associated with tamarind. Meat in sinigang (e. g., fish, pork, beef, shrimp, or chicken) is often stewed with tamarinds, tomatoes, garlic, and onions.

He appears to be working on his chess too. His coach and second is Ashot Nadanian. Wikipedia has an article on him, born 1972, and ends up with, “Due to his imaginative attacking style, Nadanian has been described as a "brilliant eccentric", the "Armenian Tal" and "Kasparov's half-brother". The sixth chapter of Tibor Karolyi's 2009 book Genius in the Background is devoted to Nadanian.

Levon’s next big tournament should be the Sinquefield Cup starting in about three weeks.

And after all of that set-up, the chess quote from Aronian:

What it takes to be a good coach? He has to be ready to eat his student’s experimental sinigang! Thanks for your trust Ashot!

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Komer
    replied

Great Chess Quotes

There are only a few good chess limericks. My favorite is:

There once was a man from Vancouver
    Who tried to solve a two-mover
    But the boob, he said "Gee,
    I can't find the key
    No matter HOW I maneuver!"

Usually the metre or number of syllables is all wrong in a line or the rhymes are forced but that doesn’t prevent people from trying their hand at constructing them.

On the English Chess Forum, ‘chess limericks’ is one subject lately. Pretty feeble attempts usually but this one is not bad and has the game appended:

(by Tim Harding)

A young GM named Wei Yi
    Attacked with great brilliancy
    His rook sac on f7
    Was just pure heaven
    And he mated Black on h3

Danzhou, CHN
    6th Hainan Danzhou GM
    Wei Yi – Bruzon Batista, L.

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.Nc3 a6 4.Be2 Nc6 5.d4 cxd4 6.Nxd4 Qc7 7.O-O Nf6 8.Be3 Be7 9.f4 d6 10.Kh1 O-O 11.Qe1 Nxd4 12.Bxd4 b5 13.Qg3 Bb7 14.a3 Rad8 15.Rae1 Rd7 16.Bd3 Qd8 17.Qh3 g6 18.f5 e5 19.Be3 Re8 20.fxg6 hxg6 21.Nd5 Nxd5 22.Rxf7 Kxf7 23.Qh7+ Ke6 24.exd5+ Kxd5 25.Be4+ Kxe4 26.Qf7 Bf6 27.Bd2+ Kd4 28.Be3+ Ke4 29.Qb3 Kf5 30.Rf1+ Kg4 31.Qd3 Bxg2+ 32.Kxg2 Qa8+ 33.Kg1 Bg5 34.Qe2+ Kh4 35.Bf2+ Kh3 36.Be1 1-0

On rereading the contributions on the EC Forum, I found that the members have criticized themselves, e.g.:
    Paul Habershon wrote:

Of these limericks I'm not a fan,
    Because very few of them scan.
    For goodness' sake mount
    A syllable count,
    Or chuck the whole thing down the pan.

Of course Paul is correct, but:

For those with a mind regimental
    The syllable count is essential
    For chess humour to fly
    The rules needn’t apply
    As they stifle the laughter potential

(Kevin Williamson)

And this clever contribution:

Inspired by memory of a cartoon that appeared in CHESS many years ago:

Raising floods to make all the land vanish,
    Most humans from earth God did banish,
    Prompting Noah to craft a
    Big ship he named after
    A trap he'd devised in the Spanish.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Komer
    replied

Great Chess Quotes

Don't play the Chinese in China!

Some things are just bound to end badly: invading Russia in winter, being a popular character in Game of Thrones, going down to a basement in a horror movie… and playing chess in China. At least that’s what you can conclude from the adventures of some intrepid travellers during this sweltering summer of 2015. Lazaro Bruzon and Krishnan Sasikiran struggled in Danzhou, Boris Gelfand was taken apart by Ding Liren in Wenzhou and the Russian men’s and women’s teams met their match in Ningbo.

Colin McGourty in chess24.com, July 23, 2015

Leave a comment:

Working...
X