Great chess quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quote from the Guardian: Barden's writings never grow stale, mate. ( a lovely touch of the English)

Comment

• Great Chess Quotes

May 18, 2019

Targeted Ads

The 2019 Moscow Grand Prix is on. It is a knockout tournament and Anish Giri left in the first round, having drawn with Daniil Dubov and then, having been beaten by him.

That is bad enough but then he received a tweet which said:

Dear, Anish Giri

We’re super excited to present our brand new video and interactive chess training program:

Improve Your Chess Calculation!

In this new and innovative series, GM Davorin Kuljasevic guides you through the fundamental concepts and tools that will allow your calculation skills to improve

To this, Anish replied on his twitter page:

Taking targeted ads to a new level.

Very funny! This prompted dozens of replies from fans:

- Glad to see you keep your spirits! March on, soldja!
      - Next you will get targeted ads from Play Magnus
      - This may be your best tweet yet!
      - Hilarious, …but Anish Giri you are a champ
      - this one’s a riot on soo many levels!
      - wishing you the best of luck in your chess development
      - I’ve come to like this guy Anish. At first I thought he was just a brat but his self-deprecating humour has won me over.

Comment

• "The Canada - China crisis is a game of chess, and Ottawa needs to stop playing it with checker pieces."

This is the title of an article, by Yves Tiberghien, in The Globe and Mail right now. It is available at:
        https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...-needs-to-stop

Very clever image and headline!

Comment

• "It is remarkable how much brilliance, wealth of ideas, color, and variety can be packed into a combination only a few moves deep" - Irving Chernev

Comment

• "Santa, please bring me a defense to 1.e4."
            From Ken Jones, Independence, Missouri, USA. As written in "Chess Life", June 1993, GM Larry Evans' column 'Evans on Chess', p.18.

Comment

• Great Chess Quotes

June 8, 2019

The Chess Set of the 21stCentury

An interesting advert for a chess set – hard pieces yet soft enough not to break or to make no noise when dropped on the floor:

NEW! DELUXE SILICONE CHESS SET

Never have a broken piece or creased chess board again!

The tournament standard Silicone chess pieces are ideal for chess clubs, schools and home use. The Material is the highest grade of soft 100% silicone which is ultra-durable - just try to break them, you can't! When dropped on the floor they bounce safely without any damage and also cause no noise. This set can be cleaned by washing it in warm soapy water.

Each set comes with a complete set of chess pieces - 17 white pieces and 17 black pieces which includes 2 Extra Queens. Paired with our Deluxe Silicone Chess Mat (included) for the most durable chess set ever.

Correctly sized for Tournament play, the green and white silicone board combines high durability with a lightweight practicality. Unlike cheaper PVC boards, this product can be folded, rolled or shoved haphazardly into a full backpack without any damage or creasing to the playing area. With a square size of 57mm (appropriate for sets up to 4 Inch king height) and algebraic notation, this board is perfect for players just starting out, or just starting to really study their chess.

The pieces can be stored in our standard cotton bag (included) safely along with the silicone mat which can be folded into the bag also.
              Last edited by Wayne Komer; Saturday, 8th June, 2019, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• We're living in golden times for chess literature; what a pity the international chess community is concentrating on promoting chess as a learning tool for small children rather than telling the world about its extraordinary history and heritage.
                from Richard James in a recent blog post about a new Lasker biography (in English). The quote is interesting as it's coming from such a well-know children's chess educator.

IMHO, it might simply be that we live in a world in which the powerful want to forget the past or re-write it. And chess is a game that, having outlived the society that gave birth to it, is likely to outlive our society as well. I think that disturbs some people who view themselves, and the age they live in, as the best of all possible worlds.

But that's just my opinion.

See https://chessimprover.com/struggle-and-victories/
                Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

• Great Chess Quotes

June 12, 2019

Peter Svidler and Jan Gustafsson are commentating on MVL-Grischuk in Round Seven of Altibox 2019. Sasha Grischuk has been showing poor form throughout the tournament.

Jan – Do you think that it is a Sasha karma situation, where only one Sasha can dwell at a time? Since Sasha Goryachkina is crushing the opposition in the Women’s Candidates, then Sasha Grischuk has to struggle in Norway?

Peter – I hadn’t thought of it in that way. Maybe it is a good thing that Peter Leko has shifted to coaching since our results are linked.

Jan – Since both Peter Leko and Peter Heine Nielsen are coaching, then all the Peter points will go to you!

Comment

• Hopefully Peter doesnt peter out to soon.

Comment

• Great Chess Quotes

June 14, 2019

From Europe-Echecs:

https://twitter.com/EuropeEchecs

“In chess we have the obligation to move... One of the great challenges of the game is how to make progress when there are no obvious moves, when action is required, not reaction.”

Garry Kasparov (2007) "How Life Imitates Chess"

Comment

• Great Chess Quotes

June 19, 2019

Fermat’s Last Theorem

Pierre de Fermat in 1637 wrote in a copy of Arithmetica that he had a proof for his proposition that was too large to fit in the margin.

When I was in college and we handed in our solutions to weekly math problem sets, it was quite usual for some joker to write in the margin that there wasn’t enough space for his proof of Fermat’s Last Theorem.

I have recently seen this adaptation of the anecdote to chess:

Fermat’s Last Theorem of the King’s Gambit: There isn’t enough room in this margin to write out the proof that the King’s Gambit always wins for White.

Much later – I found the actual quote that I couldn’t find when I wrote the above:

Paul Barasi June 14 in #Chess in history

Pierre de Fermat's chess book found to have a note: "I have discovered a truly remarkable proof that the King's Gambit is a forced win which this margin is too small to contain"

https://twitter.com/hashtag/chess?sr...inchess.com%2F
                        Last edited by Wayne Komer; Friday, 21st June, 2019, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• I haven't gone thru all 35 pgs of this thread, this may just be in there somewhere.......

“I was playing chess with my friend and she said, ‘Let’s make this interesting.’
                          So we stopped playing chess.”— adapted from Matt Kirshen

Comment

• Great Chess Quotes

June 26, 2019

Descriptive to Algebraic Notation

From CHESS magazine No. 1014-15, Christmas 1987

We Move Over To Algebraic Notation

Following the takeover of CHESS Ltd by Pergamon, the decision has been taken to go over entirely to algebraic notation. Publishing only one edition of CHESS will allow us to concentrate on improved quality, more games, more pages and quicker production. Algebraic notation is easy to understand and has been officially endorsed by FIDE, the British Postal Chess Federation, as well as being used on TV, chess computers and most new publications.

Dear Readers:

Canadian Chess Chat now will be printed in Hamilton, Ontario – we shall continue to be the senior editor and Mr. Szarka will assist us in printing and promoting. – There may be some irregularities at first but we expect to have a better magazine in the end.

One of our agreed major changes is the use of algebraic notation. My heart is with the old descriptive notation. They tell me however, that almost all the young players use and prefer algebraic. So those of you who may be upset – please come along with me – and switch over. I know it may seem like losing an old friend but we as chessplayers must keep up with the accepted new variations! Please give it a chance.

Nathan Divinsky
                            Canadian Chess Chat
                            January 1975

_________

As highways replace forests and cars replace chariots, as computers replace human works and television replaces the outdoors, so Algebraic, with its exactness and simplicity, will replace the old, out-moded Descriptive completely by the year 2000.

Wade Chabassol

Quoted on page 33 of:

Essential Chess Quotations
                            Compiled by John C. Knudsen
                            Writers Club Press
                            Published in 2000

Comment

• Great Chess Quotes

July 4, 2019

Chess and Life

Prof. Huxley’s article on “A Liberal Education” in the first volume of “Lay Essays” has the following:

“Suppose it were certain that the life and fortune of every one of us would one day or other, depend upon his winning or losing a game of chess. Don’t you think we should all consider it to be a primary duty to learn at least the names and the moves of the pieces; to have a notion of a gambit, and a keen eye for all the means of giving and getting out of check? Do you not think that we should look with disapprobation amounting to scorn upon the father who allowed his son, or the State which allowed its members to grow up without knowing a Pawn from a Knight? The chess board is the world, the pieces are the phenomena of the universe, the rules of the game are what we call the laws of nature. The player on the other side is hidden from us. We know that his play is always fair, just and patient. But also we know, to our cost, that he never overlooks a mistake or makes the slightest allowance for ignorance. To the man who plays well the highest stakes are paid with that sort of overflowing generosity with which the strong shows delight in strength. And one who plays ill is checkmated without haste, but without remorse.”

Professor Huxley must have played a good deal to be able to have such a clear idea of the value of the game.

All the above is taken from The Chess Player’s Scrap Book , Volume 1, No. 2, February, 1907 – edited by Emanuel Lasker

Comment

• To the Australian Cricket Team
                                AT A DINNER GIVEN BY THE SURREY COUNTY
                                CRICKET CLUB AT CARPENTERS' HALL
                                May 31, 1934

"I come out strong nowadays in argument about slow batting and brighter cricket. My proposition is that batsmen should follow the example of chess players in Spain, where chess contests are so long drawn out that combatants leave the continuance of the game to the second son in their wills." J.M. Barrie

Comment

Working...
                                X