Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blindfold Chess - the book

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    a simple guess is the number of opponents available - he was doing the exhibition at the Rochester N.Y. club and that was the max number of members available.
    Just curious: What are criteria for the world record simul?
    (e.g., opponents level; time-duration.)

Comment

Hey Hans,

On Saturday I played the following game against Jerry Xiong, whom I think you taught when he was just starting out. It was a blindfold game (for both of us). As far as I know, this is Jerry's first attempt. The game lasted a total of about 30 minutes, and we were rather distracted as it was held at a junior chess club with about 25 or so kids either watching or playing chess rather noisily (one kid kept banging the table right beside us with his captured pieces). Jerry let me be White. All moves played were legal, with no takebacks:

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 g6 6. Be3 Bg7 7. f3 O-O 8. Qd2 Nc6 9. Bc4 Bd7 10. O-O-O Rb8 11. Kb1 b5 12. Nxc6 Bxc6 13. Bd5 Bd7 14. Bxa7 Qa5 15. Bxb8 Rxb8 16. Bb3 Be6 17. Bxe6 fxe6 18.Nd5 (originally I was intending 18.e5, but ...b4 looked rather scary) Qa7 19. Nxf6+ Bxf6 20. Qb4 Ra8 21. a3 Qb6 22. Qb3 Kf7 23. f4 Ra4 24. f5 Rxe4 25. fxe6+ Kg7 26. h4 Re2 27. Qb4 (I saw 27.Rd5, but for some reason I didn't play it.) Qc5 28. Qxc5 dxc5 29. Rd5 b4 30. Rxc5 bxa3 31. bxa3 Rxg2 32. a4 Rg3 33. a5 Ra3 34. c3 Bxc3 35. Rxc3 (I totally missed that 35.Rh3 was even possible) Rxc3 36. Kb2 Rc8 37. Kb3 Kf6 38. Re1 g5 39. hxg5+ Kxg5 40. Kb4 h5 41. a6 h4 42. Kb5 h3 43. a7 h2 44. Kb6 Kf6 45. Kb7 Rh8 46. a8=Q h1=B+ 47. Rxh1 Rxa8 48. Kxa8 Kxe6 49. Re1+ Kd6 50. Kb7 e5 51. Kb6 Kd5 52. Kb5 Kd4 53. Kb4 e4 54. Kb3 Kd3 55. Kb2 e3 56. Kc1 e2 57. Rh1 Ke3 58. Kc2 e1=N+ 59. Rxe1+ 1-0.

Next week I am hoping he gets a shot at revenge. The kids sure asked a lot of questions (to both of us) during the game. I think Jerry and I convinced a couple that with practice they could do it, too.
      "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

MCO 10th edition

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post

He was rumoured to have memorized all the lines in MCO, 10th edition, with page numbers, line numbers, and note numbers (where appropriate). That was a 514 + xvi -page large-format book.
        MCO 10th edition ! Now that brings back memories. Certainly one of the best editions, with Larry Evans doing the lion's share of the work. Walter Korn was the co-author and had a firm grip on the copyright. Beware of editions written just by Korn! The 10th came out in 1965, was reprinted in 1968, and I bought my copy in some little bookstore in Saskatoon in 1969 for just $9.25 (I know this because I have the book lying in my lap as I write this). At the time I felt I had discovered the Holy Grail ! In those days I could go play a night of speed chess and coming home I would open up this book and find out what the theory really said (I had a really good memory in those days long ago). The only drawback was that the damn thing was written in descriptive notation.
        Last edited by Gordon Taylor; Monday, 2nd February, 2009, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
          I had no idea Rogoff the economist (very well known) was Rogoff the chessplayer.
          What a success story! Apparently he was interviewed by the authors about his blindfold exhibitions about 5 years ago. Any potential writers reading this? You couldnt ask for a better story to research and write.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
            I remember Ken Rogoff from the 1973 Canadian Open in Ottawa. He seemed like a nice guy. I did not play him. He has a lot less hair now.

He was rumoured to have memorized all the lines in MCO, 10th edition, with page numbers, line numbers, and note numbers (where appropriate). That was a 514 + xvi -page large-format book.
            Occasionally one reads about a memory like that in the chess world. Didnt Bob Zuk have that kind of a memory?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              You should check out Jonathan Berry's excellent site: http://members.shaw.ca/berry5868/blind.htm for rules and procedures (scroll about half way down) As for world records if you want to attempt one you should notify FIDE that you are attempting to break the record. "Blindfold Chess" (the book) chronicles the story of the world record breaking exhibitions and the story is very interesting. For a long time Janos Flesch's 52 boards was accepted and printed as the record. However the authors have clearly revealed that Miguel Najdorf's 45 boards is the world record. He played a mix of 1st category, 2nd category, and 3rd category players. If you are thinking of attempting it meticulous score sheets should be kept both by the sighted players themselves and the master of ceremonies (move messenger or teller) It would also help (with todays technology) if a running video of the exhibition were done.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                Hey Hans,

On Saturday I played the following game against Jerry Xiong, whom I think you taught when he was just starting out. It was a blindfold game (for both of us). As far as I know, this is Jerry's first attempt. The game lasted a total of about 30 minutes, and we were rather distracted as it was held at a junior chess club with about 25 or so kids either watching or playing chess rather noisily (one kid kept banging the table right beside us with his captured pieces). Jerry let me be White. All moves played were legal, with no takebacks:

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 g6 6. Be3 Bg7 7. f3 O-O 8. Qd2 Nc6 9. Bc4 Bd7 10. O-O-O Rb8 11. Kb1 b5 12. Nxc6 Bxc6 13. Bd5 Bd7 14. Bxa7 Qa5 15. Bxb8 Rxb8 16. Bb3 Be6 17. Bxe6 fxe6 18.Nd5 (originally I was intending 18.e5, but ...b4 looked rather scary) Qa7 19. Nxf6+ Bxf6 20. Qb4 Ra8 21. a3 Qb6 22. Qb3 Kf7 23. f4 Ra4 24. f5 Rxe4 25. fxe6+ Kg7 26. h4 Re2 27. Qb4 (I saw 27.Rd5, but for some reason I didn't play it.) Qc5 28. Qxc5 dxc5 29. Rd5 b4 30. Rxc5 bxa3 31. bxa3 Rxg2 32. a4 Rg3 33. a5 Ra3 34. c3 Bxc3 35. Rxc3 (I totally missed that 35.Rh3 was even possible) Rxc3 36. Kb2 Rc8 37. Kb3 Kf6 38. Re1 g5 39. hxg5+ Kxg5 40. Kb4 h5 41. a6 h4 42. Kb5 h3 43. a7 h2 44. Kb6 Kf6 45. Kb7 Rh8 46. a8=Q h1=B+ 47. Rxh1 Rxa8 48. Kxa8 Kxe6 49. Re1+ Kd6 50. Kb7 e5 51. Kb6 Kd5 52. Kb5 Kd4 53. Kb4 e4 54. Kb3 Kd3 55. Kb2 e3 56. Kc1 e2 57. Rh1 Ke3 58. Kc2 e1=N+ 59. Rxe1+ 1-0.

Next week I am hoping he gets a shot at revenge. The kids sure asked a lot of questions (to both of us) during the game. I think Jerry and I convinced a couple that with practice they could do it, too.
                Congratulations Tom! If I were there I'd give you a pat on the back. Its further evidence that you are a great coach (doing blindfold chess with select students). Imo (shared with other blindfold experts) blindfold chess enhances a students creativity (of all things) If a student is stodgy and has a narrow focus on the chessboard (both in openings and select patterns of play) its a good idea to introduce him/her to blindfold play. Tom, Im glad you got the other kids interested in blindfold chess. Not that it should become a main focus but definitely a part of the mix of good chess coaching ideas. Interestingly the game shows yours and Jerry's "styles" clearly (imo) Jerry with b5 - what a tricky move (Im glad his style has stayed the same) and Nd5 (the idea of) reminds me of the Tom Ive always had trouble with. Do let me know if it catches on with the other kids. - Hans

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                  There are no time controls - records attempted have been anywhere from 5 hours to more than 20 hours!
                  That is why a legitimate record is so hard to attempt. Where are you going to find 50 chess players who will sit for 20 hours in these modern times? Not only do you have to motivate the blindfold expert but more importantly you have to motivate the sighted players to follow the rules (for 20 hours!) As a sighted player you get continuous breaks every move from between 5 minutes and more than half an hour a move (it takes the blindfold player sometimes that long to make it to your board) but we are talking long term commitment here! Youve heard of marathons and the Iron Man competitions. Imo this is a mental marathon - actually the Iron Man of chess!

Comment

Re: Blindfold Chess - the book - Back in Stock!

We sold out on our initial order and have just received more copies today.

Lowest price in Canada $74.99 plus GST...shipped free anywhere in Canada.

http://www.strategygames.ca

Comment

Occasionally one reads about a memory like that in the chess world. Didnt Bob Zuk have that kind of a memory?

I think Leo Williams had that kind of memory.

Comment

Leo Williams (according to Jonathan Berry on his webpage) is still open to doing record breaking blindfold chess exhibitions (20 boards+) at age almost 60! Now thats a player I admire and respect.

Comment

Chessbase has a review on Blindfold Chess today (the book by Elliot Hearst and John Knott) by Edward Winter (the most respected chess historian out there).
                          It is the definitive book on blindfold chess in the world and there has never been a book like it. The publishers are McFarlane and they make magnificent books. I cant wait to get my hands on it. The link was posted by Pete McKillop in a thread just below.
                          For an interesting read go to: www.blindfoldchess.net and click on: Introduction. It will give you good starting insight into the world of blindfold chess.

Comment

GM Ken Rogoff

See the current write-up on Ken Rogoff on today's ChessBase news article : Chess Grandmasters at the Davos Conference :

http://www.chessbase.com

Bob
                            Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 3rd February, 2009, 10:03 AM.

Comment

And to add more fascinating detail at the end of that Chessbase article on Ken Rogoff (2nd last sentence) click on "here" and it will take you to a webpage with Ken Rogoff's picture. On the top bar of that page click on "Biography" and his early life story is arranged (surprisingly detailed with many great links to check out) There are many fascinating articles and great games - hours of interesting information. I just finished checking it out. Most of the games are from photocopied newspaper articles - blurry and descriptive notation - I didnt mind looking at them because it sent a shiver down my spine. The games are great! However those of you who dont want to do that kind of "work" (puzzling out what is written) can go to www.chessgames.com - feed in Rogoff in the empty box at the top and voila most of the games on a nice viewer! Thanks Bob for the link - you beat me to it - but I sure enjoyed going thru Ken Rogoff's fascinating history - not often you get hours of good reading from one article and links.

Comment

I wonder whether there's also much of a theory of training a group of persons to play Tandem

(Tandem chess = a team of larger than one player on one side take cyclic turns at making a move, normally regulated so as to not always having the team collaborate with the other previous tandem player member to find out the purpose of their previous move)

or Kriegspiel

( http://www.chessvariants.com/incinf.dir/kriegspiel.html ; with an interface to practice with at: http://www.chessclub.com/ ; for the more seriously interested, there are also some math papers written by computer programmers who are presumably trying to make a more "intelligent" kriegspiel automaton player - not that very many would describe the sight of this war-game as being nearly as intellectually challenging as chess itself, at least at first sight of seeing it played with a 3rd party ref. at an exhibition)

chess better, as well. Now that would sure make for an interesting story about how the development of krieg ideas for in the human & automaton minds!

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X