Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess 200 Class Tournament - Introduction

What is Chess 200 Class Tournament?
    Chess 200 is another chess tournament format where in players will be get 200% of the entry fee. So if the entry fee is $100 you are guaranteed a prize of $200. Your goal is to obtain a result that will land you into the top half of the standings. For example if there are twenty (20) players in the tournament, you just need to land in the top 10 to get your prize. In case of ties, it will broken by the tournament’s tie breaking system (Buchholz, Sonneburn-Berger, Solkoff to name a few). In case, where there is an odd number of players, let’s say 21, the 11th placer will just receive the entry fee. This type of tournament caters to Class tournaments wherein the difference in ratings is within 200 points.
    Tournament expenses which includes the TD and rental fees should be posted in the flyer so that players are aware of the added fees aside from the entry fees.
    This is another way to give chances to everyone but prizes are pre-determined (up to 200% of EF max.) however very competitive! Prize is low but chances of winning is better and even. Every player will be jockeying to place themselves to get a prize.

Let’s hear everyone’s comments!

Are there any TDs who might be interested to organize one during weekends?

Re: Chess 200 Class Tournament - Introduction

I don't get what your obsession is with trying to give prizes to weaker players who don't perform very well. This system is only competitive for the mid-range players; weak players have little chance of getting a prize, and strong players are practically guaranteed one.

Comment

I mentioned "CLASS" Tournament meaning either Expert Class (2000-2200), Class A (1800-2000), Class B (1600-1800), Class C (1400-1600) and Class D (Under 1400). A Class B, C or D player can join a Chess 200. Class A with a rating disadvantage but not a Class Expert player. I didn't get your point how a weaker players who don't perform very well can get a prize. ;)

Comment

This seems interested, but it would have to be unrated and no TD fee otherwise the tournament will go in a hole.

Comment

CFC is offering the Swiss Pairing Software for TD free. If anyone among the participants is familiar with it's use, then potentially there will be no fee.;)

Comment

Originally posted by Precy Mckoy View Post
            CFC is offering the Swiss Pairing Software for TD free. If anyone among the participants is familiar with it's use, then potentially there will be no fee.;)
            Yeah, because there's nothing more to directing a tournament than doing the pairings.

I made a resolution a while back not to call people idiots on ChessTalk anymore. I've done well so far. Tell me, ARE YOU A TEST FROM GOD?
            everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Forgive him Ben, for he knows not of what he speaks.

I still don't see him offering to TD himself!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                Forgive him Ben, for he knows not of what he speaks.

I still don't see him offering to TD himself!
                We have different priorities in our life. Unfortunately, a TD job is not mine.
                The tournament formats I was suggesting here on this website may have the potential to attract chess players who are willing to try something different from the standard. The problem with tournament directors is that you don’t want to try something new or even suggest something better to make tournaments attractive and competitive. You must be flexible to changes. You just stick with conventional formats. You should be the ones to be introducing these ideas. In the first place, we (chess players) are your customers! You should be the one to listen to what we want and not the other way around. Remember, the phrase “The customer is always right!” If we don’t participate in your tournaments, what you got to do? What do you have to offer to the customer to keep them coming back? You need to cater to what the customer wants. You have to make innovative ways and to make chess a competitive sport to attract more customers. You need to continue to improve tournaments because all these things are geared toward increasing CFC memberships and advantages as being tournament directors. You get satisfaction when you have large number of participants which equates to success!

You never know that the customers are just waiting for something new!

Forgot to mention that Chess 200 should only be a one day tournament with 4 rounds.

Rounds 1-3 being SD45
                Last Round being SD60.

Thanks!;)

Comment

We have different priorities in our life. Unfortunately, a TD job is not mine.
                  A trolling job does seem to be yours.

TD's perform a largely thankless task. Without them we don't get the opportunity to play. Make sure that you take the time to thank your TD (and the organizer) even if you did have a lousy tournament.

If you are playing chess for the money consider taking a job in a doughnut shop. The pay is much better even if it is only minimum wage.

Comment

Wasn't the prizes you first look for whenever there are tournaments? Don't tell me not! Human beings are terrible materialists. You go to work in exchange for your time with money (material). Same as in tournaments, you pay your entry fee in the hope of spending your time playing the game with the primary hope of winning a higher amount. I don't understand why you have fun playing chess especially when you're losing games. The primary goal of chess is to win, nothing less! Chess is a brutal game, battle of wits! Losing games will turn you into an unsecured wimp and uncertain of yourself! Do you think this is fun? There must be something wrong with you if you think you're having fun losing games. Winning chess games is fun but not ideal.:) TDs should be the ones thankful for you chess players showing up because the more turn-out in the tournament the higher the TD fee.:)

Comment

The first thing that I look at is when the rounds are. One round a day when the round starts at like 6 = GOOD TIMES. Two games a day where one is early = :(

Comment

Wasn't the prizes you first look for whenever there are tournaments? Don't tell me not! Human beings are terrible materialists. You go to work in exchange for your time with money (material). Same as in tournaments, you pay your entry fee in the hope of spending your time playing the game with the primary hope of winning a higher amount.
                        I am such a materialist that I long ago realized that if I wanted material reward then chess is not the best way to achieve that reward. For the effort involved you are much better to work in a donut shop instead of playing in a chess tournament if prize money is your only criterion.

I don't understand why you have fun playing chess especially when you're losing games. The primary goal of chess is to win, nothing less! Chess is a brutal game, battle of wits! Losing games will turn you into an unsecured wimp and uncertain of yourself! Do you think this is fun? There must be something wrong with you if you think you're having fun losing games.
                        I don’t think that I’m having fun. I am having fun. Every loss contains a lesson. My first game back after a twelve year absence from Canadian chess was against Nikolai Noritsyn who was the Canadian Champ. I was thrilled to be playing him. I felt the same way when I got to play IM Ben Finegold in a recent Detroit area tournament. The chance to go over the game with someone who has a superior understanding of chess was worth the goose egg on the wall chart for that round.

Winning chess games is fun but not ideal.:) TDs should be the ones thankful for you chess players showing up because the more turn-out in the tournament the higher the TD fee.:)
                        If material reward was the real motivation most TD’s would also be better off working in the donut shop. Fortunately for both the appreciative and the ingrates that play in their tournaments that is not their primary motivator.

Vladimir Drkulec

Comment

Wasn't the prizes you first look for whenever there are tournaments? Don't tell me not! Human beings are terrible materialists. You go to work in exchange for your time with money (material). Same as in tournaments, you pay your entry fee in the hope of spending your time playing the game with the primary hope of winning a higher amount. I don't understand why you have fun playing chess especially when you're losing games. The primary goal of chess is to win, nothing less! Chess is a brutal game, battle of wits! Losing games will turn you into an unsecured wimp and uncertain of yourself! Do you think this is fun? There must be something wrong with you if you think you're having fun losing games. Winning chess games is fun but not ideal.:) TDs should be the ones thankful for you chess players showing up because the more turn-out in the tournament the higher the TD fee.:)
                          The first thing I look at is whether the tournament is FIDE rated.

P.S. You're a COLOSSAL idiot.
                          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Wow, you are so out of touch with most players I know!!!

I don't even consider the prize fund when I decide whether or not to play! The first thing I consider is who else will be there. I look forward to playing friends with whom I have friendly rivalry, meeting new friends, seeing old friends again, and just enjoying the games.

It is not a job, and any prizes earned are not paycheques. If you approach tournament play with that attitude (unless you're GM material), you will be disappointed. I pay my entry fee in anticipation of a pleasant weekend.:)

Unsecured wimp ? No way, losing games builds character!!;);) at least thats what they keep telling me:):):)

FYI - many TD's take no fee at all. Thankfully at least for larger tournaments, TD fees have become acceptable. For their efforts, they usually forego the opportunity to play themselves, and instead are subjected to endless complains by some who take it way to serious. It is we who should thanking our TD's.

Comment

Very nice to understand several reasoning of each and every player ‘s comments but the bottom line is all about every player’s preference. Chess 200 is about giving more chances of winning a prize although limited, it seems to appeal to everyone who prefers lesser prizes but higher chances to get a prize and limited to class tournament wherein players compete with other player’s of similar rating and it’s usually conducted as a one day event. As the saying goes from Siegbert Tarrasch “Chess, like love and music, can make man happy!” :)

Comment

Working...
                              X