Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chess960 in Ontario Chess Tournaments

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
    Correpondance chess certainly fits the definition of "Fairy Chess" that Gary is describing.
    Crossed over to "Fairy Chess" around the time the internet became popular. The term itself seems strange though, derogatory in nature.
    Ben may have turned over a new leaf but I didn't.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I'd be surprised if this is still possible in 2009. Random chess probably has more potential moving forward. More important is keeping classical chess relevant in the modern world then whether any of these variants has substance.

Comment

Gary, you got censored. What you need is a list of approved adjectives. :)
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          Gary, you got censored. What you need is a list of approved adjectives. :)
          What you need is the ability to discern the difference between an adjective and a noun.
          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
            What you need is the ability to discern the difference between an adjective and a noun.
            The adjective came before the noun but I can't recall if I wrote it or simply thought it. Possibly it was the noun which brought about the deletion.

In any case, some nouns simply have no suitable replacements.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Bertrand View Post
              I think it's a nice idea but I don't agree with rating these games as they have nothing to do with classical chess and starting a whole new rating catagory for 1 tournament doesn't make much sense.
              Agreed. At the RA Chess Club we ran them as active tournaments, and used a person's active rating for getting the initial pairings set up. But we never submitted than as rated events. Same for our theme tournaments.

I actually really enjoy the Fischer Random tournaments, as we let people see the opening setups 10-15 minutes before the game starts. Figuring out opening concepts from the initial setup is greatr fun. For instance, if the bishops start off side by side, it's amazing how effective quickly opening up the position works.

Comment

Working...
              X