Kitchener-Waterloo Labour Day Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchener-Waterloo Labour Day Open

People have been asking for a FIDE rated tournament so we are moving in that direction. Mark this on your calendar. If successful we will continue with FIDE rated tournaments in the future and likely expand to a FIDE rated tournament in the spring or early summer. It's up to you. If you want FIDE rated tournaments, spread the word, attend, and most of all, have fun.

Note: Around 18 - 20 August, I will post the "Pre-registered" list of players on ChessTalk.

Kitchener-Waterloo Labour Day Open
    Date: 31 August & 1,2 September 2013

Type: 6 round Swiss, 2 games/day

Sections: Open, U2100, will be FIDE and CFC rated.

U1900, U1600 will be CFC rated only.

TC: 90 minutes + 30 sec (Fischer),

Saturday, Sunday, Monday: 10:00 am and 3 pm,

Entry Fee: FIDE titled Players are free if pre-registered 2 weeks prior to tournament, otherwise $35.
    Note: I have extended the free entry date to 17 August. Don't delay, register today.
    All others pay $70 but if pre-registered by 30 August there is a $10 discount.
    Juniors and seniors pay $60 with no further discounts.
    Juniors are those who are still under 18 years of age by 31 December 2013. Seniors are those who are 60 years of age by 31 December 2013.

Byes permitted for rounds 1 - 3 if notified in advance.

Registration: by email: Contact Ralph Deline, arcticcompass@hotmail.com, and please include "KW Labour Day Open Open" in the "Subject" heading so it will not get deleted as junk mail.
    Or registration at the door at 9:00-9:30 on Saturday (cash only)

Note: To play up a level, you must be within 100 rating points and pay an extra $20 that will go towards the Olympiad fund.

CFC Membership req'd.

Chess sets and clocks provided.
    Last edited by Ralph Deline; Saturday, 10th August, 2013, 10:34 AM.

Re: Kitchener-Waterloo Labour Day Open

Seems two last August weeks will be overfilled with chess :)
    Toronto Labour Open flyers were distributed during the Aurora Open. However I have no copy with me, thus no details :/

Comment

Yay! 200- and 300-point sections.

Comment

It's coming up fast. Check the ad for details.

Comment

Count me in Ralph. The 3 week deadline is less than a week away.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
            Seems two last August weeks will be overfilled with chess :)
            Toronto Labour Open flyers were distributed during the Aurora Open. However I have no copy with me, thus no details :/
            The reason why we planned the KW Labour Day Open was because there were not any tournaments in Toronto or in the area on the Labour Day weekend. At one time, you could count on Toronto for having a tournament on this weekend and as Hart House indicated they wouldn't be having a tournament, we decided to fill the void.

Two weeks after we made the announcement, the Annex Chess Club posted on their site that they would be holding the Toronto Labour Day Open, thus we are now, somewhat, competing with each other for attendance. Such is life. The two things I can mention to, perhaps, draw people to our tournament, is that we are having our first FIDE rated tournament and FIDE titled players will receive free entry if they register early. The date is now changed to 17 August.

Nevertheless, we already have people registered so we can't change our plans. So I wish the Annex Chess Club and the KW Chess Club a successful tournament in that enough people attend each to make it enjoyable for the players.

Cheers,
            Ralph
            Last edited by Ralph Deline; Saturday, 10th August, 2013, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Re: Toronto Labour Day Open

Hi Ralph:

Annex CC was just advertising the Toronto Labour Day Open, to help the organizers, not organizing it. The organizer is Randy Moysoski, of the Macedonian CC. The arbiter is Bryan Lamb. The location is the one often used in the past - the basement of the Macedonian church on Overlea Blvd..

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Deline View Post
                The reason why we planned the KW Labour Day Open was because there were not any tournaments in Toronto or in the area on the Labour Day weekend. At one time, you could count on Toronto for having a tournament on this weekend and as Hart House indicated they wouldn't be having a tournament, we decided to fill the void.

On the other hand, why should Toronto have exclusive rights to Labour Day weekend? I understand the logic in not wanting to fragment an already small market, but having more than one tournament may (hopefully) draw more people out to play. Certainly there must be people in the quad-city and surrounding areas who would not have played in Toronto but who will now play in K-W. Maybe a third Labour Day Open is needed in eastern Ontario as well.

Then, if Toronto wants to be considered the premier Labour Day weekend tournament, they're free to earn that title. I hope both tournaments are successful.
                Last edited by Peter McKillop; Tuesday, 13th August, 2013, 09:25 AM.
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Hi Ralph;
                  The free entry for Fide titled players may draw some top players to Kitchener.

I'll be playing in Toronto as I have an easier travel time going there.
                  Hope your tournament is a great success and that the SWOCL players support your event to the fullest.

Comment

Hi Ralph;
                    The free entry for Fide titled players may draw some top players to Kitchener.

I'll be playing in Toronto as I have an easier travel time going there.
                    Hope your tournament is a great success and that the SWOCL players support your event to the fullest.

Comment

Re: Toronto Labour Day Open

Thanks Bob. I wasn't aware of the details on who was running the tournament. Way back when I was attending as many tournaments as I could, I remember playing in tournaments run by the Macedonian CC and found them well run. I might attend their Labour Day tournament but I'm committed to the KW tournament. LOL

Cheers,
                      Ralph

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                        On the other hand, why should Toronto have exclusive rights to Labour Day weekend? I understand the logic in not wanting to fragment an already small market, but having more than one tournament may (hopefully) draw more people out to play. Certainly there must be people in the quad-city and surrounding areas who would not have played in Toronto but who will now play in K-W. Maybe a third Labour Day Open is needed in eastern Ontario as well.

Then, if Toronto wants to be considered the premier Labour Day weekend tournament, they're free to earn that title. I hope both tournaments are successful.
                        Thanks Peter. I appreciate your comments.

In addition to another Labour Day tournament, I would like to see more tournaments throughout the year and more chess players. The 1970s and '80s had well attended tournaments and it seemed that it was never going to disappear. Now a quarter century later I'm asking myself where did all the chess players go?

Fortunately, I see an increased number of youth playing and this may be foundation for an upsurge in chess activities.

Comment

Less than two weeks away.

Pre-register and see your name on ChessTalk!

Comment

Next weekend! Don't forget to pre-register!

Comment

We are two days away from the first game. Don't forget, the Open and U2100 are FIDE rated.

Comment

Working...
                              X