• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Canadian Open U 1600 Blog.

2013 Canadian Open U 1600 Blog

Introductory Blog (# 1)

Welcome Back

For those of you who know me, you will know that over the last number of years, I have maintained a Canadian Open chess blog featuring the section I play in, where sections were used, or the prize section I was playing for, where there was one big swiss. In the past this has been the U 2000 section, the U 1900 section and the U 1800 section, sometimes playing up a section. I have had enough positive response in the past, that (some say unfortunately) I am encouraged to try again in 2013!! Larry Bevand, of Chess ‘n Math Association, has kindly allowed me to post on their chess discussion board, Chesstalk. So I will do it this way again this year.

My Prize Section

Unfortunately, I have suffered a steep and rather steady, overall, decline of my rating for the last three years: July 2010 – 1800; July 2011 – 1744; July 2012 – 1645; July 2013 – 1590. Old age?? I hope not – I’m only a young 68 years old later this month! But something, I must admit, seems to be happening.

So this year’s blog is now “ The Canadian Open U 1600 Blog”! This year’s Can. Op. is one big swiss, with no accelerated pairings, with sectional prizes. U 1600 is the lowest prize section. As of May 22, the pre-registered list on the CO website showed 30 players shooting for the U 1600 prizes: 1st - $ 600; 2nd - $ 300; 3rd - $ 250. The pre-registrations are apparently due to be updated, with the final ratings, once the CFC Wednesday night regular updating (due last night) takes place. Then I’ll be able to provide a list of the tentative 10 top-rated in the section, whom we’d likely have to designate “favourites”. There will have to be some updating of this though to take into account on-site last minute entries. The beauty, of course, of this section is the “shadows”! Lurking in the still waters of this section are what are known as the “junior sharks”. There may well be among them, some darkhorse winners. These are lower-rated but fast-improving juniors for whom the rating increases have lagged behind their strength increases (despite the best efforts of CFC’s new bonus point system to jump them up faster). So anything generally can, and does, happen in this section.

Again this year, my goal is to highlight a section which generally gets no coverage. But it is the class where a significant minority of Canadian chess players reside – and they are interested in what is happening in this section. The blog is also an attempt to give some flavour of the tournament, as played for this class prize, to those who are not in attendance, but are taking the time to follow the blog. I hope to relate my non-chess activities, along with the chess ones, to try to show also the social/tourist side of a “Can. Open chess holiday”.

The Right Section?? – Uncertainty

There is, however, an uncertainty hanging over my blog. The issue is whether later I am going to be forced to re-start it as: “The Canadian Open U 1800 Blog”. The reason is that apparently the organizers did not decide yet (and we start the tournament in 2 days) whether to impose what is called a “sand-bagging rule”. Apparently this decision has now been passed by the organizers to the 2 TD’s to make. The broadest rule generally is to the effect that you can only claim a prize in a section which is no lower rated than a certain number of points under your peak rating ever. For example, I have a peak rating from 2001 of 1911 (12 years ago). Applying a sand-bagging 200 points rule, I end up with a “prize rating” of 1711. Thus I must play for the U 1800 prize, not the U 1600 prize (though my rating is now 1590). I have been advised by the CO Website Administrator, John Upper, that my request that this issue be decided before the tournament starts, would be forwarded to the 2 TD’s, Danny Goldenberg and Halldor Palsson. As of this date, I have had no reply. I will deal with this a bit more in detail in my next blog.

Invitation

I hope you enjoy my musings and fact reporting over the course of this Canadian Open. It will help to make this blog even more interesting if viewers post their responses, facts they may know, their own stories, in response to my daily material. I hope to hear from many of you as the week passes! Compliments are of course welcome; but so are constructive criticisms that may improve the blog. Post away!

Conclusion

My Blog # 2 will be posted in the wee hours of Saturday, July 13, covering the “Day Prior (Friday, July 12)” to the start of the Canadian Open.

Bob A

Re: 2013 Canadian Open U 1600 Blog.

Bob, you have entered this as a thread on ChessTalk when you could actually make use of the blog feature here instead.

Not that I have a great deal of experience with it, but there are some features which you can set automatically and then not have to fuss with your entries quite as much. People can subscribe to your blog (within ChessTalk) and so on. You may want to experiment a bit with the blog software.
    Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Thursday, 11th July, 2013, 01:24 AM. Reason: stuff added
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Hi Nigel:

I fear you are talking to a terrified non-techie. I do not do well going out of my technological safety zone. I guess I've done this now this way for a number of years, and so feel comfortable with it. I'll have to leave it to others to trailblaze the "blog features" here. But thanks for alerting me - maybe at some point ......hmmmmm??

Bob A

Comment

No problem Bob. BTW, I just gave my ChessTalk blog a name. It was easy. I just went to blog settings. It's now called Nigel's Bloggity Blog. lol. And guess what? If you create a blog on ChessTalk then I think you have some moderating features. You can moderate the comments. You can also have a sub-heading for your blog. Mine, for example, now reads, "This blog is meant to torment Bob Armstrong.... lol. Just kidding, Bob."

Still feeling terrified? Come over to the dark side. The power is intoxicating. lol.
        Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Thursday, 11th July, 2013, 01:42 AM. Reason: stuff added, eh?
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: 2013 Canadian Open U 1600 Blog - Top 10 Players U 1600.

I am advised that the delayed Wed., July 10 CFC Rating Update, is hoped to be done by sometime tomorrow morning, Friday, July 12.

This will then allow the Can. Open organizers to update their pre-registration list, which I believe they have been delaying updating, hoping to also update any ratings requiring it. If they manage to do this before midnight tomorrow, I'll be able to present the top 10 U 1600 players in my "Day Prior" Blog (#2), being posted in the wee hours of Saturday morning, July 13.

Bob A

Comment

Pre-registered List with Ratings Updated? - 2013 Canadian Open U 1600 Blog

On checking the CO Website re pre-registered players (I had thought the last update was May 22), I found:

July 9, 2013 (1:00 pm EST) 166 players

But the format of the list has now been changed. The names are alphabetical, and the ratings have been eliminated.

So my desire to present the top 10 U 1600 players in my Blog # 2 early Sat. AM, July 13 ("The Day Prior"), will depend on whether the organizers do revert to a list with ratings, updated with the expected CFC updating this morning, Friday, July 12.

Bob A

Comment

Re: Pre-registered List with Ratings Updated? - 2013 Canadian Open U 1600 Blog

I'm glad Bob's posting his adventures in chess on the normal forum as I never even knew about the blog feature till you mentioned it Nigel. I doubt anyone ever reads the chesstalk blogs anyhow as most of us just pop on chesstalk and see if there's any juicy new gossip here.
              Shameless self-promotion on display here
              http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

When I posted my first blog entry on Thursday, I thought I had set a pretty simple task for myself for Blog # 2 in the wee hours of tomorrow morning (Sat., July 13):

- present, among other material, the top 10 U 1600 players on the pre-registration list, with updated ratings as of Wed. night, July 10.

Life is never simple! It seems now to have become an obstacle course!

The problem:

1. The Wed. night, July 10, CFC rating update got delayed, and is only supposed to be available sometime this morning.
                2. So I had at least hoped it would be updated in sufficient time to give enough time to the CO Organizers, to update their pre-registered list by 11:59 PM tonight. Will this happen??
                3. For I imagine a number of reasons, the July 9 update of the pre-registered list eliminated ratings (likely hoping they would have the updated rating list the next night, Wed., July 10, and then add them back in, which didn't happen).
                4. Will the organizers post before 11:59 PM tonight, a newly updated list putting back the ratings?

What I expected to be a slam-dunk, is now up in the air totally. I may not even be able, at 12:01 tomorrow, Sat., July 13, to get into my blog # 2, the updated top 10 U 1600 pre-registereds!

Let's see what today brings, and whether obstacles get removed!!

Bob A

Comment

Hi Bob

Pls take a few pics if you have time :)

Comment

Hi Michael:

Sorry, but that isn't going to happen.

This Neanderthal owns neither a camera nor a cell phone!!

Nor do I own a laptop, so I'm going to be relying on there being available at the Ottawa U residence where I'm staying, a computer common room. Otherwise it looks like I look for a cyber cafe!

Bob

Comment

Re: Rated Pre-registered List? - 2013 Canadian Open U 1600 Blog

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                      When I posted my first blog entry on Thursday, I thought I had set a pretty simple task for myself for Blog # 2 in the wee hours of tomorrow morning (Sat., July 13):

- present, among other material, the top 10 U 1600 players on the pre-registration list, with updated ratings as of Wed. night, July 10.

Life is never simple! It seems now to have become an obstacle course!

The problem:

1. The Wed. night, July 10, CFC rating update got delayed, and is only supposed to be available sometime this morning.
                      2. So I had at least hoped it would be updated in sufficient time to give enough time to the CO Organizers, to update their pre-registered list by 11:59 PM tonight. Will this happen??
                      3. For I imagine a number of reasons, the July 9 update of the pre-registered list eliminated ratings (likely hoping they would have the updated rating list the next night, Wed., July 10, and then add them back in, which didn't happen).
                      4. Will the organizers post before 11:59 PM tonight, a newly updated list putting back the ratings?

What I expected to be a slam-dunk, is now up in the air totally. I may not even be able, at 12:01 tomorrow, Sat., July 13, to get into my blog # 2, the updated top 10 U 1600 pre-registereds!

Let's see what today brings, and whether obstacles get removed!!

Bob A
                      Well, joy, joy! - step one has occurred. When I checked the CFC website at 7:19 AM EDT, the delayed update from July 10 had been done!

So now on to step two - can, or will, the CO organizers, now change the alphabetical format of the pre-registered list, without ratings, and make one with updated ratings in order of rating (or add such a second one on the website)? If so, will they get it done by 11:59 PM tonight? This would certainly accommodate my blog (despite its great importance, I am sure this reason is rather low on the organizers priority list - so I hope they have other better reasons they think they should do this! LOL).

Let's see what twists and turns occur later today.

Bob A
                      Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Friday, 12th July, 2013, 07:34 AM.

Comment

CFC July 12 Rating Update - Glitch? - 2013 Canadian Open U 1600 Blog

Well, joy, joy! - step one has occurred. When I checked the CFC website at 7:19 AM EDT, the delayed update from July 10 had been done!

So now on to step two - can, or will, the CO organizers, now change the alphabetical format of the pre-registered list, without ratings, and make one with updated ratings in order of rating (or add such a second one on the website)? If so, will they get it done by 11:59 PM tonight? This would certainly accommodate my blog (despite its great importance, I am sure this reason is rather low on the organizers priority list - so I hope they have other better reasons they think they should do this! LOL).

Let's see what twists and turns occur later today.

Bob A
                        Not sure if there is a glitch in the CFC July 12 Update - there are 5 tournaments/sections in the update. The U 2000 section and U 1600 section of the recent Aurora Summer Open are there, but there is no "Open" Section?? Hope CFC will address this - I would think the CO organizers would be concerned if such is the case, especially since it deals with a number of top players.

Bob A

Comment

Re: CFC July 12 Rating Update - Glitch? - 2013 Canadian Open U 1600 Blog

Not sure if there is a glitch in the CFC July 12 Update - there are 5 tournaments/sections in the update. The U 2000 section and U 1600 section of the recent Aurora Summer Open are there, but there is no "Open" Section??
                          There is Open. It has a different date and it is not near U2000 and U1600
                          A direct link
                          http://www.chess.ca/crosstable?tourn...mber=201307011

Comment

Re: CFC July 12 Rating Update - Glitch? - 2013 Canadian Open U 1600 Blog

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                            There is Open. It has a different date and it is not near U2000 and U1600
                            A direct link
                            http://www.chess.ca/crosstable?tourn...mber=201307011
                            Hi Egis:

Thanks - I had missed it because it wasn't listed beside the other two - need glasses??

Graeme also just pointed this out to me.

I apologize if I've caused any confusion.

So now the CO organizers can just get to work producing an update pre-registered list with ratings!! Hope they do it before 11:59 PM EDT tonight - would help me - but I know they're up to their proverbials in alligators today. We'll see.

Bob A

Comment

This Neanderthal owns neither a camera nor a cell phone!!
                              OMG, how old are you? Just kidding Bob.
                              This Neanderthal (me) just bought my first smartphone this week! It feels like I have now joined the 21st century. It's a phone, camera, computer, all rolled into one. You should get one, makes you feel 20 years younger!

Good luck with your efforts to kill that age discriminating sandbagging rule! Us old farts are cheering you on, quietly!
                              Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Friday, 12th July, 2013, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X