Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian Open: Standings/Pairings/Live Games

My (least) favourite pairing is this one, a sister-brother pairing

68 153 Melissa Lee (1.0) 104 Brendon Lee (1.0)

Gee, thanks for taking us to the Canadian Open, dad

Comment

probably BC girls are just under rated. not just beat 2000 player in 1st round, Rinna drew 3rd round against 1900 player.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post

As you open the can of worms: what should be done? Should parents/siblings come in advance and say their wishes before the tournament? Up to what round (places) that should be granted? Don't expect arbiters to be oracles :)

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post

That does seem quite discouraging and it leads me to wonder whether or not Tournament Directors take into account such things? Obviously SwissSys and other pairing software can be excused for not caring, but what about any human review of the pairings? Perhaps they were only double-checked for legality (maybe not even! since it is a computer after all!)

In early rounds (and in groups where there are a zillion players) such pairings could be avoided, but at what point should the TD stop worrying about those issues? And what issues exactly are important (same family, same club, same city, same province...)

Maybe the Lee kids should declare a draw after a few moves and take in a movie...
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I don't use SwissSys, but I am told it has an optional feature called "zip" which "tries to avoid" pairing players from the same area. My own practice is to avoid pairing siblings unless they are in contention for a prize in the later rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by George Zhou View Post
              probably BC girls are just under rated. not just beat 2000 player in 1st round, Rinna drew 3rd round against 1900 player.
              George,

In general BC/AB players are under rated because of a smaller pool of players in BC.

Comment

As a matter of fact I did make that request in advance - that TD would not pair family members. The answer was they would not unless necessary - like fighting for first place. I hardly believe this is the case. Just think of it from a financial aspect - one pays $600 in entry fees and $900 for hotel and there is still food and vacation time I had to take and the kid get to play each other. They do that for free at home.

I also have the request at other tournaments like last year's CO and the kids were not paired. Why not in this year's CO?

Comment

There is a feature in SwissSys to force avoid pairing of players in the same "Group" of which can be set manually. Of all the tournaments I was involved in organizing, our practice is to put direct relatives (including siblings, father-son, husband-wife etc.) in the same group to avoid pairing against each other - except in the last round. Pros and cons, and definitely arguable whether this is the best way to handle the situation, but never get complains.

Comment

Working...
                  X