Unsung Heroes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsung Heroes

Yes I know...I should be asleep by now. I just drove back from Ottawa where I witnessed the largest ever CYCC...I am hearing numbers like 275...a new record for this event! The folks in Ottawa worked hard to put on this event...all are volunteers...and they deserve our appreciation.

So, yes the organizers could be considered the unsung heros...but amongst the players...the victory of Adam Dorrance of Nova Scotia should be highlighted. You probably have not seen this name before, although he has won Canadian Championships for his school grade at the Canadian Chess Challenge for many years. It is an incredible result, especially for someone who does not live in the center of any universe :)

Congrats Adam...you are awesome!

Larry

Unsung Heroes

I underestimated and lost to a much younger Adam several years ago at the PEI open and must say I was very impressed with the young man then. Not only his chess strength but also his politeness and respect.

Comment

Re: The Unsung Hero

Adam is paired against Eric Hansen in rd. 2 of the Canadian Open; I'm looking forward to that.

EDIT: the pairings were changed this morning since three foreign players seem to have been denied their Visas.

Adam is not playing Hansen.

He is playing Bruzon.
      Last edited by John Upper; Sunday, 14th July, 2013, 12:37 PM. Reason: correction to pairing

Comment

Unsung Heroes

I have been following Adam since he steamrolled the Grade Ones at the Chess Challenge - also in Ottawa if memory serves. Awesome result Adam - congratulations!

Thanks also to team Ottawa for volunteering their time and securing a solid financial base for our 2013 WYCC Delegation. I am following the CO with interest.

Comment

OK, maybe not a "hero", but def, "unsung"...

How's this for really "unsung": without the clocks we got from Hal there is NO WAY we could have coped with the numbers at the CYCC.

Larry, maybe you could re-title this thread "unsung heroes"?

Comment

Re: OK, maybe not a "hero", but def, "unsung"...

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...=adam+dorrance

Since my assessment in this thread 14 months have passed. In that time Adam has:

Finished 1st in the Chess Challenge
            Won the Nova Scotia Championship
            Won the U16
            After the U16 he should be 2200+

I would estimate now he would be roughly 2300 if he lived in a chess centre rather than rural NS.
            Last edited by Tom O'Donnell; Sunday, 14th July, 2013, 10:59 AM.
            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Working...
            X