Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open results

Is there a wall chart posted anywhere?

ChessResults.com has the most useless tournament search function I've ever seen! They require way too much information - what do I know what the chief arbiter had for breakfast.

Re: Canadian Open results

Hey Vlad https://sites.google.com/site/ottawa...13---wallchart

Comment

As far as I know, chess-results.com does not have the results for the Canadian Open. I think you need to be using Swiss-Manager for pairings - otherwise you can't post (or it's not easy to post) to chess-results.

What pairing software is being used at the Open?

Comment

Thanks Bill E -I see I'm not the only one who wanted to see this information.
        Also, by clicking on C O standings in the right side bar you get the results in order of standings>>>>

https://sites.google.com/site/ottawa...13---standings

Comment

Also, on the flip side of R J Fischer's 'countrymen complaint' I see that Lazaro Bruzon is actually handicapped when he is paired against a fellow Cuban as the usual result is a friendly draw. :)

Comment

Noticed a Nicholas Short in the crosstables- Nigel's son?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
              What pairing software is being used at the Open?
              Looking at the Wall Chart, I would say SwissSys.
              https://sites.google.com/site/ottawa...13---wallchart

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Kurkowski View Post
                Noticed a Nicholas Short in the crosstables- Nigel's son?
                Yes. It's his first tournament.

For Rd. 4 (monday) N.Short is on top board, and N.Short is on the bottom board.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
                  Yes. It's his first tournament.

So, whoever plays Nigel's son can say, "My short opponent is N. Short, Nigel Short's son." Nice tongue twister!
                  Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Yes, the TDs are using SwissSys.

We wanted to have the results on chess-results.com, so Halldor and I experimented with SwissManager.

For all the "Registered Players" lists that appeared in Ranking order (with Bruzon #1, Short #2...) I used SwissManager, and converted its output to excel and from there to HTML. After you get used to it, SM is pretty good at scanning the FIDE and CFC databases to enter players, and (of course) chess-results.com is an excellent site for following tournaments and players. The idea was that I could just give the SwissManager TUX file to the event TD, and it would already have all the players and bye info.

But I also tested SM at a quickplay event at the RACC and found it had some very annoying bugs [that was the familiy-friendly version], including one that treated scrolling the mousewheel as the same as double clicking and then scrolling!

AFAIK, Halldor had a similar negative experience with SM, and that's why he and Danny Goldenberg are using SwissSys.

Comment

I expect they all say: "I just beat N.Short! He came all the way from Athens, and I won!!"

FYI Nicholas is a great.... in both senses: he's an interesting person to talk to and he's 6'1"

Comment

Lets hope they will not take first places at top and bottom too LOL
                        N.Short plays quite often at the CO. When was his the first CO?

Comment

FYI Nicholas is a great.... in both senses: he's an interesting person to talk to and he's 6'1"
                          Whoops. N. Short isn't short at all. My bad.
                          Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

But I also tested SM at a quickplay event at the RACC and found it had some very annoying bugs [that was the familiy-friendly version], including one that treated scrolling the mousewheel as the same as double clicking and then scrolling!
                            I did not notice that (though I dealt with RR mostly). Did it occur randomly/always/particular windows?

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                              I did not notice that (though I dealt with RR mostly). Did it occur randomly/always/particular windows?
                              I'm not going to try to replicate it, but from my memory it happened when I had a withdray player info window open: I mousewheeled down, and it double-clicked the name and then scrolled down.

I showed it to Stijn de Kerpel and Garland Best. Neither of them had seen anything like it.

Chessbase has a similar problem (in versions 9 and 11, I don't know about the others): Many times when I type comments into a window, I try to use the mousewheel to move around within the text comment window, and instead of scrolling through that window, Chessbase scrolls through the game moves. Then (here's the bad part) it inserts the text commentary in BOTH places in the game: where you originally inserting text commentary and again at the point where the mousewheel has scrolled to. Now for the worst part: when I try to delete the text at either place, it deletes them both.

I'm confident it's not my mouse or computer, since I've had this problem on different harware, and I mentioned this to Alexandra B, and she's had the same problem.

My hunch is that either the programmers of SwissManager and ChessBase have messed up how their programs identify the "focus window", or maybe there's a problem with the German versions of Windows.

... now please stop asking me interesting questions which I think I may know the answer to: they make it hard for me to take my by now medically necessary nap. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X