Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll on use of the internet for chess-realted activities

Hi chess players. I'm curious about

(a) what players use the www for (playing chess, tactical study, opening study and survey, chess news, etc.), and

(b) how much time they spend on the www in these chess-related activities.

Let's see if I can set up a poll of some sort to address these questions ...
    playing chess
    10.34%
    tactical study and/or chess problems
    10.34%
    opening study/survey/TN's
    6.90%
    chess news
    19.83%
    admiring attractive players
    2.59%
    download games and db's
    12.93%
    new chess books and reviews
    10.34%
    posting your own games & annotations
    2.59%
    chess discussion boards like this one
    19.83%
    other
    4.31%
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Re: Poll on use of the internet for chess-realted activities

I don't know if there are many others like me but I spend a considerable time online at eBay and other auctions of chess books and getting quotes on and buying chess books. If that group that admires attractive players outnumbers my group then one of us is in trouble!

Comment

Thanks for the comments Wayne. I would be interested to know where else (other than eBay) chess books are auctioned. I have a number of first editions whose value I would like to know. Anyway, I will keep the poll open as more may reply.

I also expect there are more that admire attractive players than are saying so.

Comment

I have mentioned the German auction house Klittich-Pfankuch and Swedish auctions (Lund Chess Academy) before. There is a regular one from Ireland (Alexander Barburin). Others I shall not talk about since I am a frequent bidder and buyer for small interesting (and hitherto) inexpensive items.

As for gazing at attractive chess photos, I find the giving and accepting of outsize novelty cheques à la “The Simpsons” as prizes in chess events to be funny and compelling. What happens to them afterwards? Does Topalov have his recent one displayed on the fireplace mantelpiece?

Comment

I do not play chess online but I really enjoy following the live games when possible

Comment

Thanks Laurentiu. I forgot about live games. Of course! When the Canadian Open is on, or some other event of interest to me, I follow such games as well. The next poll like this should include that option.

Comment

What's most interesting so far is that less than half of those responding actually play chess on the www. For most of the respondents, the web is a source of news and information, game downloads and so on.

Comment

Nigel: what's with the sticky? I'm sure you think this 'important' poll should be preserved for all time but isn't a sticky a little over the top?

Comment

Working...
                X