Chessbase for Android Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chessbase for Android Q

To anyone familiar with Android/Chessbase.

Device A
    I have a laptop running my main database and work with Vista 64.

Device B
    I am investigating purchasing a small computer like device bigger than a phone but more like a very small tablet.
    I was told it runs Android
    -I understand this device requires a Chessbase for Android app.

Question(s)
    How can data (if possible) be transferred from device A to device B?
    How does on keep the data on device B up to date from TWIC?
    by direct download?

I have seen some people at tournaments with them using them for prep. These devices seem way lighter than my laptop are very cool. I seem to have missed the boat tech wise.

Re: Chessbase for Android Q

I have written an Android app that is chess related. To test my app I own many Android devices, and also have purchased the Chessbase for Android app. This app does not provide the same functionality as ChessBase on a PC. It has however been recently updated, and is somewhat improved. If you Google "Android Chessbase" you will see links to three recent Chessbase news articles that describe their Android app in detail. It has access to their online database, but requires an Internet connection to open the database and perform search functions. As I understand it you can not search by position, only by player info using this app. You can not use your own ChessBase database (like the Mega database) with this app directly nor can you do exactly the same type of searches as you could on a PC. This Chessbase app also can not open a Chessbase database file on the Android device, but it can open any pgn file, and do searches.

There is also a free Android chess database program called SCIDOntheGO, which is a "port" of SCID, which is a well know free chess database program. You can easily transfer a database in SCID format from a PC to an Android device, and do the usual searches on that device. You would need to have your database in pgn format, and use SCID on the PC (also free) to convert this database to SCID format or transfer the pgn file and convert on the device. SCIDOntheGO can then do the usual database searches, by position, or game info using this database that is now resident on device. The other good free Android chess app is called DroidFish, but this app has no database capabilities. It does however, "know" about any SCID databases that have been created by SCIDOntheGO, so you can open any such database, but not search it in DroidFish. It is all a bit confusing and requires some experimentation. On my fastest Android device (my Google Nexus 4 phone) I can search a 2.5 million game SCID database that I have created for my app in about 2 seconds, so searches at speeds comparable to a PC are coming. You, or anyone else who wants to know more about chess apps on Android devices can send me an e-mail at contact@kgrothapps.com. I would be happy to answer any questions.

Comment

If there is no urge to have access to online chessbase, SCID is a perfect app for a pocket toy.

Originally posted by Gerhard Roth View Post
      I have written an Android app that is chess related.
      I looked at your app ChessOcr. Interesting. Do you plan to expand chessOCR to scoresheets? :)

Comment

Thank you for your comments on my app. I do not want to say much more about my app because there is a prohibition in ChessTalk on what is considered to be advertising. Recognizing chess score sheets is complex because they are hand written. I have thought about working on a similar, but easier problem, of recognizing the main line of a game (often in bold font) in chess books using an Android device. I believe that I could probably make this work, but it is not clear how many people would want this capability (and predicting sales is quite difficult in general for mobile applications). By the way, recognizing chess games has a long history in computer science; the paper "Recognizing Chess" describes a system to recognize chess games in the Informator series of books. While this paper was written in 1990, it is still good reading, and is widely available on the Internet. It was written by H. Baird, and K. Thompson, and while the first name will be unfamiliar to ChessTalk readers, the second author has had a long history of work in computer chess, along with being the co-creator of Unix.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerhard Roth View Post
          Thank you for your comments on my app. I do not want to say much more about my app because there is a prohibition in ChessTalk on what is considered to be advertising. Recognizing chess score sheets is complex because they are hand written. I have thought about working on a similar, but easier problem, of recognizing the main line of a game (often in bold font) in chess books using an Android device. I believe that I could probably make this work, but it is not clear how many people would want this capability (and predicting sales is quite difficult in general for mobile applications). By the way, recognizing chess games has a long history in computer science; the paper "Recognizing Chess" describes a system to recognize chess games in the Informator series of books. While this paper was written in 1990, it is still good reading, and is widely available on the Internet. It was written by H. Baird, and K. Thompson, and while the first name will be unfamiliar to ChessTalk readers, the second author has had a long history of work in computer chess, along with being the co-creator of Unix.

The Baird and Thompson paper can be found here: http://doc.cat-v.org/bell_labs/readi...ding_chess.pdf

Thanks for the info.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

What I said about the Chessbase app not being able to search the online database for games that match a given position is not correct. This can be done, but only for the game positions that are part of the opening book of the online database. This is at most the first 20 moves of a game, as far as I can see. You need to set up a search position by hand, or by whatever means you find convenient. The exact number of moves for each game that is actually searchable in this way varies, and is from around 3 to 7 moves beyond the point where that game becomes unique in the opening tree. So in summary, this ChessBase app can do all the searches that can be done on the PC version of ChessBase, but only for the opening moves. My statement that this app can not open actual ChessBase databases (only pgn files) is still correct. Their online database search using this app is quite fast, and if they wanted, they could easily make a full online database search. One reason that ChessBase may not want to do this is that the price of the Android ChessBase app is less than 1/10 of the PC version, even with the recent price increase in the Android app. So if people start using the ChessBase Android app and do not buy the PC version of ChessBase it is hard to see how profits will not decrease.

Comment

Working...
            X