CFC Newletter - July 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Newletter - July 2013

I just got back from camping...hmmm...what happened to global warming? 42 degrees F this morning (read the F any way you want :). Anyway I don't want to go there. As you know I like the work John Upper is doing for us in the Canadian Chess World. I took a look at the July Newsletter. Lots of interesting stuff...some of which I had no idea had happened...but for some reason...I would start reading an article...and ooops..I was taken off to another place! Is that because I have an old browser...or I am doing something wrong...read...HELP! :)

Larry

Re: CFC Newletter - July 2013

When was the last time you did
    a virus check.My computer
    goes crazy if I do not do the
    check at least once a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
      .I would start reading an article...and ooops..I was taken off to another place! Is that because I have an old browser...or I am doing something wrong...read...HELP! :)
      AFAIK it should work like a normal PDF.

Instead of reading it in your browser, try downloading it and reading it in a dedicated PDF viewer:
      • most computers have Adobe Reader (I've tested it on this);
      • I use the free version of PDF-X-Change Viewer, and haven't had any problems with it or the CCN PDFs I've tested.

If anyone else has had problems with it, please write a detailed description of the problem and post to this thread or email me.

Comment

CORRECTION: CFC Newletter - July 2013

Vlad Rekhson tells me that the photo on p.48 (July CCN) incorrectly identifies Edward Porper as the player on the right; in fact it is Vlad Rekhson. (sorry Vlad, and thanks for the correction)

The picture shows a R+N perpetual check by a player who is way down on material (R+N+3 vs Q+B+5). It was so ridiculous I thought the picture was Victor showing him the final position from a chess composition; but Vlad tells me the picture captures something far more remarkable than I had imagined:

GM Victor Mikhalevski and Vlad Rekhson were playing blitz (5:0, no increment, no time handicap from the GM), and Vlad won his Queen, at which point he did what any of us would: he asked the photographer (Ali Razzaq) to take a lot more pictures to ensure his victory was captured for posterity :D. But the GM managed to swindle his way to a perpetual check, and instead of a photo of the GM offering his hand in resignation, he got a photo of Vlad's "facepalm". :o

You can see the orginal photo here:
        https://bij9ig.dm1.livefilestore.com...741.JPG?psid=1

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
          42 degrees F this morning (read the F any way you want :)

Larry
          You are not the only one. Even after I personally erased letter F from my thermometer and wrote C ... I am still cold!

Comment

Working...
          X