Igor Ivanov (1947-2005)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Igor Ivanov (1947-2005)

The latest issue of New In Chess has a nine-page spread on the life and times of Igor Ivanov; 2013 #5 (August) by Genna Sosonko.

It starts off with this paragraph:

Soviet chess player Igor Ivanov embarked on his fateful trip to Cuba in 1980 with Yuri Razuvaev, who described it: “Igor didn’t ignore the Cuban rum and when he was drunk he said that he planned to stay in Newfoundland, in Canada, on the way back. One Cuban grandmaster took good note of all this, called the Soviet embassy and told them about Ivanov’s plans. Fortunately for Igor it was a Friday, the end of the working day, and everyone had rushed home and to the beach. The Cuban do-gooder was advised to call back on Monday. He probably decided not to make excessive effort. The tournament ended, I flew back to Moscow, and Igor stayed on for one more tournament…”

The article begins with Ivanov’s early life in chess in Leningrad and midway talks about chess life after defection:

In his new life, Canadian chess lay before him like a wasteland. This chess was very different from the kind that Igor Ivanov had played in the Soviet Union. Swiss tournament! Seven games, nine, eleven. Almost always without rest days. Sometimes even two games a day, or occasionally three. Playing on the nerves, weekenders, where losing even one point is fatal, and a single draw may spoil outright first place. Open tournaments, where the final result depends on the last game to an immeasurably larger extent than in the tournaments Igor was used to. They say that in his first Swiss tournament, having carefully equalized as Black, Ivanov offered a draw to someone with a rating of about 1800. He never did that again.

The Canadian Championships are mentioned and anecdotes of Edmonton 1985 and Los Angeles 1989.

It ends with him in a small town by the name of St. George, in Utah, halfway between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas, living with his wife and two cats, giving chess lessons and playing the piano. He died of cancer on November 17, 2005 at the age of 58.

Lots of photos but still a good read.

I wonder if any readers have memories of playing him in a tournament?
    Last edited by Wayne Komer; Tuesday, 6th August, 2013, 03:28 PM. Reason: added last sentence

Re: Igor Ivanov (1947-2005)

I first met Igor shortly after he arrived in Canada when he played in the 1980 South-west Ontario Open that I organized, and was quite strong...when a surge of players showed up on the morning of the event, I quickly enlisted Angela Day (nee Julian) to be the tournament director, which was a great move. I believe the event was won by IM Leonid Bass. Igor lost to MacPhail in a theoretical Richter-Rauzer where John introduced an important novelty.

Thereafter, Igor and I attended several tournaments together in the mid-80s as we both sought $ in the US and CDN weekenders...my favorite time with Igor was certainly the 1987 Canadian Closed Championship in Baie Comeau, Quebec, where we spent 2-3 weeks playing nightly blitz, and discussing various topics...I think I have repeated one anecdote, but bear with me - on one morning during the tournament, I went to Igor's room, and he was examining an ending from the recent Russian Championship...he looked up and asked my opinion of the position and what I thought was the best for the side with the move... I quickly gave an opinion and a suggested move...Igor replied "Hartman, this is not the Canadian Championship!" :)

In the 1985 Edmonton Canadian Championship, it had the unusual situation of the Canadian Open and Closed rounds coinciding...I was in the hall, as Igor told the organizer he wanted to play in both simultaneously...thereby possibly increasing his overall $...the organizer agreed, and I then did the same...we both won more than we would have in just one event...I won the Open in tie-break over Igor, and Igor tied for first in both! The CFC then changed the rules to avoid this...as they felt it was somehow insulting :)...however, it truly was a matter of economics...

Igor's highlight rating-wise was =33 in the world...and, this was second only to GM Spraggett's =25...certainly they were both the strongest players in modern times in my opinion and I did have the honor of playing them both in the prime several times...one can argue re GM Yanofsky too of course, and we shall see where the new talented players will end up that show great promise.

I always believed Igor dramatically improved Canadian chess overall, as he introduced a style and knowledge we hadn't seen before...

Lots of other anecdotes...but best told over 64 squares and plenty of beer :)

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Hartman View Post
      I first met Igor shortly after he arrived in Canada when he played in the 1980 South-west Ontario Open that I organized, and was quite strong...when a surge of players showed up on the morning of the event, I quickly enlisted Angela Day (nee Julian) to be the tournament director, which was a great move. I believe the event was won by IM Leonid Bass. Igor lost to MacPhail in a theoretical Richter-Rauzer where John introduced an important novelty.

Thereafter, Igor and I attended several tournaments together in the mid-80s as we both sought $ in the US and CDN weekenders...my favorite time with Igor was certainly the 1987 Canadian Closed Championship in Baie Comeau, Quebec, where we spent 2-3 weeks playing nightly blitz, and discussing various topics...I think I have repeated one anecdote, but bear with me - on one morning during the tournament, I went to Igor's room, and he was examining an ending from the recent Russian Championship...he looked up and asked my opinion of the position and what I thought was the best for the side with the move... I quickly gave an opinion and a suggested move...Igor replied "Hartman, this is not the Canadian Championship!" :)

In the 1985 Edmonton Canadian Championship, it had the unusual situation of the Canadian Open and Closed rounds coinciding...I was in the hall, as Igor told the organizer he wanted to play in both simultaneously...thereby possibly increasing his overall $...the organizer agreed, and I then did the same...we both won more than we would have in just one event...I won the Open in tie-break over Igor, and Igor tied for first in both! The CFC then changed the rules to avoid this...as they felt it was somehow insulting :)...however, it truly was a matter of economics...

Igor's highlight rating-wise was =33 in the world...and, this was second only to GM Spraggett's =25...certainly they were both the strongest players in modern times in my opinion and I did have the honor of playing them both in the prime several times...one can argue re GM Yanofsky too of course, and we shall see where the new talented players will end up that show great promise.

I always believed Igor dramatically improved Canadian chess overall, as he introduced a style and knowledge we hadn't seen before...

Lots of other anecdotes...but best told over 64 squares and plenty of beer :)

Brian
      Hi Brian,

Anyone who spent any time with Igor has numerous anecdotes...I had not heard yours before...we can share some beer for the rest, the next time we get together...and I will gladly share mine as long as it stays between us LOL :).

I agree with you when you write: "I always believed Igor dramatically improved Canadian chess overall, as he introduced a style and knowledge we hadn't seen before..."

Stop by the NAYCC in Toronto from Aug 14-18, 2013...and we can have a beer :) Info at: www.chess-math.org or send me an e-mail bevand at chess-math dot org

Larry

Comment

I had one of my best chess memories when I drew Ivanov(2495 I think) as a modest 2000-ish player in rd1 of a Winnipeg Canadian Open (1994? perhaps). I had white and played my usual 1.d4 and expected to get wiped out but Igor played the Czech Benoni which I had no clue how to play against.

Somehow in the ending my position looked better so I offered a draw...and waited...and waited. I thought he just didn't hear me as he was deep in thought, About 20 long minutes passed and then he put out his hand and accepted.

My prize for the biggest upset was a nice book on Rubinstein which I still treasure. Well the funny part was after the game when I said
        'I was lucky'

'You played very well'
        was the reply.

The everyone wanted me to show the game and explain it which I could not. But others took delight in explaining to me what I did and why is was good. Most of it went over my head.

Next round I was paired with GM Balinas who played very cautiously and won after the adjournment. The after he told me
        'I was afraid of you...you drew Ivanov in rd1'

I had to keep explaining I didn't know what I did....over and over.

Comment

A new chess novel has been published, which has the late Igor Ivanov as one of the major figures.

I have reservations about this sort of plot device, which may be disrespectful to the memory of the man. In the right hands, it could become a tribute.

Dana Mackenzie, in his blog, reviews the book (Lisa: A Chess Novel by Jesse Kraai) and says:

This fictional Ivanov is a fascinating figure, and readers will doubtless want to know how accurate the depiction of him is. I cannot tell you. I never got to know the real Ivanov, and played against him only one time. I don’t know to what extent Jesse’s portrayal is based on personal knowledge, and to what extent Jesse has incorporated generic elements of other Russian chess émigrés into Ivanov’s character.

http://www.danamackenzie.com/blog/?p=2574

I know nothing of Jesse Kraai but the amazon book page gives this biographical bit:

Jesse Kraai is an American chess grandmaster and a post-academic. He lives in Berkeley California. He enjoys reading, long bike rides and solving chess problems.

So, you spend your money and it is a tossup as to what you get.

Comment

Working...
          X