WYCC - a sad bait and switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WYCC - a sad bait and switch

It was very disheartening to learn this past weekend that the organizers of the 2013 WYCC in Al Ain will not be honouring their commitment to provide free accommodation for all players. It turns out they are doing nothing more than previous organizers have done, namely covering room and board for official reps only. Based on a promise to hold an "unforgettable" WYCC in 2013, Africa stepped aside and postponed their bid for one year. Other organizers in Asia (the UAE is part of Asia) were thus denied the chance to bid for 2014, which is the proper rotation.

I have protested to FIDE, and while they share my concern it seems we are stuck with the decision. You may recall that the dates have already been moved from a proposed summer event to the Christmas holidays because they are using a University and its dorms.

The NAYCC is a much better value!! CMA has done a great job of putting together an exciting event, and each bit of news deals with how the tournament is getting better.

Re: WYCC - a sad bait and switch

It's been known for some time that the organisers were going to charge €30 a day for accommodations. There was a thread about this some time ago.

Has this changed?

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...highlight=wycc
    Last edited by John Coleman; Monday, 12th August, 2013, 11:50 PM. Reason: add link to previous thread

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
      It was very disheartening to learn this past weekend that the organizers of the 2013 WYCC in Al Ain will not be honouring their commitment to provide free accommodation for all players. It turns out they are doing nothing more than previous organizers have done, namely covering room and board for official reps only. Based on a promise to hold an "unforgettable" WYCC in 2013, Africa stepped aside and postponed their bid for one year. Other organizers in Asia (the UAE is part of Asia) were thus denied the chance to bid for 2014, which is the proper rotation.

I have protested to FIDE, and while they share my concern it seems we are stuck with the decision. You may recall that the dates have already been moved from a proposed summer event to the Christmas holidays because they are using a University and its dorms.

The NAYCC is a much better value!! CMA has done a great job of putting together an exciting event, and each bit of news deals with how the tournament is getting better.
      FIDE continues to be a joke.
      It has been clear for quite some time (during the reign of IllusionOf) that FIDE
      is his personal toyland and he makes it up after consulting aliens. This will be
      another unforgettable WYCC all right, but for the (usual) wrong reasons.
      I feel sorry for parents with kids caught up in this nonsense - adults make their
      own choices.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

From WYCC FAQ ( Frequently Asked Questions )

1- How much is cost of official Players? It will be 100 Euro Registration fee to organization committee + 70 Euro to FIDE as Entry fee. ( Total 170 Euro )

2- How much is cost for Extra Player? it will be 460 Euro {100 Euro Registration fee+ (12 x 30 Euro) 360 Euro } plus 140 Euro to FIDE as Entry Fee. (Total 600 Euro)

3- How much is cost for accompanying person? It will be 460 Euro {100 Euro Registration fee + (12 x 30 Euro) 360 Euro } ( Total 460 Euro )

Comment

Working...
        X