Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ideology trumps common sense

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post

If you really think you're correct, how about filling us in on why computer cheating has become such a big issue in chess. Why would someone cheat to win if winning isn't very important?
    We are not saying winning isn't important we are saying that achieving your highest potential is more important...

Comment

blah blah ...

If you really think you're correct, how about filling us in on why computer cheating has become such a big issue in chess. Why would someone cheat to win if winning isn't very important?
      I'm not surprised that you've completely missed the points made. Hence you've failed to even address them. You lose. lol.

Children are taught to respect their opponents by, for example, shaking hands at the beginning (and end) of a game.

To those trapped by the ideology of winning as everything, this is seen as a waste of time. It isn't and, as I've already noted, even well-behaved children know this. Somehow, you do not.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
        I'm not surprised that you've completely missed the points made. Hence you've failed to even address them. You lose. lol.

Children are taught to respect their opponents by, for example, shaking hands at the beginning (and end) of a game.

To those trapped by the ideology of winning as everything, this is seen as a waste of time. It isn't and, as I've already noted, even well-behaved children know this. Somehow, you do not.
        I would say that winning is definitely one of the goals of playing chess, but there is no reason there cannot be other goals: learning, having fun, discovery, pushing yourself intellectually etc. Prioritizing all of the goals may not be straightforward for any person, but I don't believe winning is or should be the foremost goal. I don't mind losing a game where I felt that I did not make any blunders but was just 'outplayed' strategically or tactically. If it turns out there were better moves for me, most likely there were also better moves for my opponent. I don't know why anyone would cheat (in any competition) but it certainly has been known to happen, so some people must be able to at least rationalize it in their own mind. I like Susan Polgar's mantra: "WIN WITH GRACE, LOSE WITH DIGNITY! (TM)" (not sure about the TM part, but whatever). I am not always able to supply the dignity... :)
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

It's good children in this country are being taught to lose gracefully. However, good losers tend to lose often.

Winning is everything a no brain fart that it's not will change that FACT. If winning wasn't so important there wouldn't be the kind of dropout rate from the juniors as they get older and aren't competing on the Canadian scene, or the international scene, with their peers.

On the world scene there can only be ONE. The world champion. In the World cup they are playing elimination matches and players win or go home. From each match there can only be one winner. IT'S ALL ABOUT WINNING.

so are you saying because you believe winning is the only thing, that you cheat to win?

Comment

You're a self declared winner, I see. Too bad you couldn't find a reply to any of my points.

With your strong opinions on computer cheating, I thought you might have at least addressed that part. Possibly in the context I've phrased the question you can't defend your position regarding the lack of importance of winning and your harsh stance on unproved computer use.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

You're a self declared winner, I see. Too bad you couldn't find a reply to any of my points.

With your strong opinions on computer cheating, I thought you might have at least addressed that part. Possibly in the context I've phrased the question you can't defend your position regarding the lack of importance of winning and your harsh stance on unproved computer use.
              The fact that you've used cheating as a point in your favour is hilarious. Reading your remarks, many people would come to the conclusion that it is your opinion, since winning is everything, that cheating is OK as long as a person isn't caught.

Needless to say, such an attitude is a disgrace and a poor example for children.

Comment

Originally posted by joshua hu View Post
                so are you saying because you believe winning is the only thing, that you cheat to win?
                Absolutely not! A player should develop the skills to win by playing within the rules.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The fact that you've used cheating as a point in your favour is hilarious. Reading your remarks, many people would come to the conclusion that it is your opinion, since winning is everything, that cheating is OK as long as a person isn't caught.

Needless to say, such an attitude is a disgrace and a poor example for children.
                  You're twisting in the wind. It's a pity you can't defend your position in a meaningful manner.

You couldn't even make a comment on the current WC format where a player wins or goes home and winning is everything. In case you missed it, Canadians played in that event so for Canadians winning is also everything.

Your contribution was to declare yourself a winner in a discussion I doubt you understand.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

You're twisting in the wind. It's a pity you can't defend your position in a meaningful manner.

You couldn't even make a comment on the current WC format where a player wins or goes home and winning is everything. In case you missed it, Canadians played in that event so for Canadians winning is also everything.

Your contribution was to declare yourself a winner in a discussion I doubt you understand.
                    "It is not up to me whether I win or lose. Ultimately, this might not be my day. And it is that philosophy towards sports, something that I really truly live by. I am emotional. I want to win. I am hungry. I am a competitor. I have that fire. But deep down, I truly enjoy the art of competing so much more than the result."

Apolo Ohno

Winning or losing is part of the game. Losing makes you learn your mistakes and you learn how to win next time.....You don't win every time in your life time. You win some, you lose some. Winning is not everything.....I would rather to have my son to lose some and then to learn from it and go to a greater height than prioritize winning every time. That's why it is essential for kids to play up in higher section to learn more from losing to higher rated opponents. I would not want him to keep playing with kids his level and win and thought that he is already fantastic.....Life is a long journey....you cant and wont win every time.....

I think it is sad if kids adopt your way of thinking......

Gary Hua

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua;71926

I think it is [B
                      sad[/B] if kids adopt your way of thinking......

Gary Hua
                      I don't care what you think. Chess is a competitive game and the goal is to win. It seems not everyone realizes that, but many do.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I wanted to thank Larry Bevand, Francis Rodrigues, Aris Marghetis, Gary Rodrigues and all other NAYCC organizers and helpers for the great and very well organized tournament and kids and parents, especially from Aurora Chess Club for your friendly support and kind words. Thanks to organizers of Aurora Chess Club for the opportunity to practice in different tournaments. I hope we will have more and more tournaments in GTA for any age.

Sergey Noritsyn

Comment

Originally posted by sergey noritsyn View Post
                          I wanted to thank Larry Bevand, Francis Rodrigues, Aris Marghetis, Gary Rodrigues and all other NAYCC organizers and helpers for the great and very well organized tournament and kids and parents, especially from Aurora Chess Club for your friendly support and kind words. Thanks to organizers of Aurora Chess Club for the opportunity to practice in different tournaments. I hope we will have more and more tournaments in GTA for any age.

Sergey Noritsyn
                          Sergey, thanks for your classy thank-you post, and big congratulations on your superb performance! :)

Comment

Re: Re : Re: North American Youth Chess Championships

Originally posted by Jesse Wang View Post
                            This is an excellent idea. Perhaps an improvement would be to replace titles with norms instead?

By the way, does anyone have a list of all the title winners? There seems to be a thread but it's not very helpful.
                            I have compiled them for my report to FIDE, so I could post them here after receiving their confirmation, etc.

Comment

Yes... the more tournaments the better! Practice makes perfect... you have picked that up, nice goin! (wish I could say the same! LOL)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
                                I think it is sad if kids adopt your way of thinking......

Gary Hua
                                When ideology trumps common sense, all sorts of amoral ideas and practices can be defended as worthy, when the opposite is true. It's probably a waste of your time to make an ethical argument here. Just make sure that the children you know are protected from such misanthropy.

The healthy development of children needs no further argument as it is an end in itself. I think our friend may be too ethically challenged to understand this.

Comment

Working...
                                X