"Computer Chess" movie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Computer Chess" movie?

What do readers know about this movie? It's scheduled to open at Montreal's Cinema du Parc next week.

http://www.cinemaduparc.com/english/...puterchess#top

Trailer: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2007360/?ref_=sr_1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American indie-movie darling Andrew Bujalski (Beeswax, Mutual Appreciation) returns with an ingenious and endearingly lo-fi comedy about the ultra-geeky competitors at a weekend tournament of computer-chess programmers in 1980.

Set over the course of a weekend tournament for chess software programmers thirty-some years ago, COMPUTER CHESS transports viewers to a nostalgic moment when the contest between technology and the human spirit seemed a little more up for grabs.

We get to know the eccentric geniuses possessed of the vision to teach a metal box to defeat man, literally, at his own game, laying the groundwork for artificial intelligence as we know it and will come to know it in the future.

“It approaches its subjects not with the gleeful, madcap hilarity of a Christopher Guest mockumentary ("Best in Show," "A Mighty Wind"), but with the calculated precision of lines of code.”
    -BARBARA VANDENBURGH, ARIZONA REPUBLIC

“A deadpan mock-documentary about an early-'80s gathering of programming nerds, arguing about AI and predictive algorithms and showing off questionable fashion choices and facial hair.”
    -STEVEN REA, THE PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER

“Sneakily, the best science-fiction film of the summer.”
    -WALTER CHAW, FILM FREAK CENTRAL

“Presenting itself as a sort of found-footage movie for geeks, this amusing and thoughtful oddity by writer-director-editor Andrew Bujalski is upfront in form but more stealth in content and intent.”
    -PETER HOWELL, TORONTO STAR

A.O. Scott, in The New York Times, named Andrew Bujalski’s FUNNY HA HA “one of the ten most influential films of the ’00s” and Amy Taubin, in Film Comment, calls his new film, COMPUTER CHESS “bracingly idiosyncratic – and close to perfect.” She continues: “Set in 1980 in a nowheresville hotel hosting an annual artificial-intelligence chess competition (software programs operated by computer nerds compete at chess), the movie is part faux documentary and part hallucinatory coming-of-age sexual fantasy.” With clunky computers the size of small cars, and eyewear of almost equal weight, these vintage geeks may be in the techno-vanguard, but they are hopeless when it comes to human relations. Bujalski gives the film a charming period look by shooting on primitive early ‘70s video cameras. Justin Chang in Variety calls it “an endearingly nutty, proudly analog tribute… about as weird and singular as independent cinema gets.”

Re: "Computer Chess" movie?

Not purely a chess movie, a dry comedy where computer programmer nerds mingle with a 1970-80s self-growth encounter group. Also playing with the concept of artificial intelligence. Used old computers and shot in old Black & White video to look dated. I recall only one chess position joke.

Comment

Re: "Computer Chess" movie?

I watched the movie from the perspective of a computer scientist, chess player and as someone who was in graduate school at about the time of the movie. Parts of the movie were very funny in part because we all looked sort of silly back then -- the fashion and styles are appropriately dated looking. And it was pretty amusing from the perspective of someone like me who remembers the early days of computer chess. It brought back memories of arguing with my friends about whether a computer could ever beat a truly strong chess player (I have to admit to underestimating what computers were capable of). The movie did have, however, an overall sadness to it. Maybe because the main characters were so socially pathetic. Overall I think I enjoyed the movie but it definitely is not for everyone.

Comment

Working...
      X