Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biodiversity & Planetary Stewardship

Kunming-Montreal Global Biodiversity Framework

- Agreed to by nearly 200 nations on Dec. 19, 2022 in the city of Montreal, Province of Quebec, Canada.
    - The Agreement consists of four groups of goals with 23 targets for 2030 (Only 8 short years away!! Note that the Climate Change "Tipping Point" is generally agreed to be around Jan. 1, 2031).
    - The agreement calls for:

1. at least 30 percent of the world’s lands, inland waters, coastal areas, and oceans to be placed under conservation by 2030;
    2. an additional 30 percent or more of areas with degraded ecosystems are to be put “under effective restoration.”
    3. to achieve its goals, a US$700 billion per year “biodiversity finance gap” must be met;
    4. by 2030, US$500 billion per year in subsidies that “harm biodiversity” currently going to agriculture, industrial fishing, and oil and gas extraction is to be redirected to what are termed as more sustainable practices;
    5. an additional US$200 billion per year is to be raised from public, private, and philanthropic sources for national biodiversity strategies;
    6. at least US$30 billion in annual aid is to flow to the developing world by 2030.

Analysis 1

This massive effort, and substantial societal change, are the only way to save the Earth as we know it, and its plethora of species (Many of which have already died off due to lack of protection from human activity). It would appear that it will significantly affect the way the World Economy functions, and the economy's functioning within nations. A collective effort is absolutely necessary to save the diverse life of all kinds on the planet.

Analysis 2

Dan McTeague, president of Canadians for Affordable Energy, said the agreement brokered under the auspices of the United Nations threatens liberty and prosperity.

“This has nothing to do with environment—this is about control of society and population. And this is also dramatic and significant interference into the sovereign conduct of affairs of any nation, and it ought to be rejected,” McTeague told The Epoch Times. "[COP15] was a ridiculous idea in terms of how to destroy the ability for people to make ends meet, more importantly, how they’re going to feed themselves”.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/cop-15...&utm_content=3

Question for CT'ers:

1. What comments do you have to make on each analysis?
    2. Bottom line, which analysis seems the better one?

~ Bob A (T-S/P)
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 22nd December, 2022, 08:15 PM.

A lot to read for this 200 nation accord. Bob, help me out. Who will the stewards be? Some council subset of the 200 nations? Sort of like the U.N. Security council is to The General Assembly?

Who's analysis is #1?

As for McTeague, partly right. Yeah it's about societal control. But of course it's about the environment also.

I am far from convinced that stewardship is the "only way" to go. I would guess that the assembly provides the funds but the stewards make the decisions. Let's see if anyone has veto powers.No doubt there will be a lot of disparity in the funds each steward will be able to contribute. edit: we'll see how that might influence the decision making.

I will be also be taking a look at research and investment into biodiversity loss and it's causes, and pre dictions for its success, by private individuals, of their own initiative, and maybe consider who is going to be more effective.

bwa ha ha ha ha!

:)
    Last edited by Fred Henderson; Saturday, 24th December, 2022, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Hi Fred:

I agree with you that there is a role here for private non-profit corporations, private individuals, and estates of private individuals.

I understand "Ducks Unlimited" is a private non-profit corporation.

There are places known as "Conservancies" which are areas where biodiversity and green belts are protected. I know a lot of those I've encountered are owned by non-profit corporations, or sometimes even just individuals, or the estate of individuals who have left money to purchase and preserve such properties.

I believe it is unusual for private for-profit companies to be involved here. The reason is a number of court cases determining the "Objectives" of private corporations........they determine that the first allegiance of the corporation is to the "Shareholders", and generating the return on investment.

So in the field of Biodiversity, it is hard to see how to make "profit", and so I think corporations shy away from attempting this, no matter how much the Directors might wish to include something like this among their many enterprises.

I'm short of time, but I'll try to give my own personal opinion later on your questions and comments on which I do have some information. You raised some very good points, and I do hope to hear the views of other CT'ers.

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

Let's focus on the issue of private involvement. Surely global warming must be a significant factor in Biodiversity loss (extinction of species) Then see what a guy like Musk is doing. Right now he pouring in billions into green energy research, with not much return, yet.

Off the top of my head, I would say that making it financially worthwhile for the private sector to do R&D and act responsibly (tax breaks?) must be a much more efficient way than running everything through the income tax mill.
        Last edited by Fred Henderson; Saturday, 24th December, 2022, 07:13 PM.

Comment

ChessTalk

Planetary Stewardship/Biodiversity Thread

Click image for larger version  Name:	Number 7.jpg Views:	4 Size:	7.1 KB ID:	223626

ChessTalk

Planetary Stewardship/Biodiversity Thread

Week # 2 (22/12/27 – 23/1/2: 7 days)

(Sometimes Adjusted for no. of days)

Weekly Stats:
          .....................................................2022 Average..........................................................2022 Average
          Last Week's......Prior Week's........Views/Day..........Last Week's.....Prior Week's......Responses/Day
          Views/Day........Views/Day.............(2 wks.)............Responses/Day....Resp./Day......... (2 wks.).

…...1........................8.......................2................................0....................1.........................1.........

Analysis of Last Weeks Stats

Few responses/views over the holidays continues last week as there were no new responses.

But part of the problem is that the plethora of articles put out during COP15 has almost dried up subsequent to the end of this Montreal conference.

But we will still keep watch for a while to see if they start randomly popping up. If not, and CT'ers have no comments, then this thread will have run its course for the time being. Even after it moves down the scroll, however, it can be reactivated at any time by someone who has a new response.

Biodiversity Thread “Responses”

There are few articles out there at the moment on the continuing loss of co-resident species on Earth, due to the encroachment of human activity. But pre-COP15, they appeared with some regularity. Hopefully they will soon again be popping up randomly.

This thread encourages CT'ers on all sides to re-post here, as responses, Biodiversity posts of interest they see elsewhere.

Note: I personally, as the thread originator, am trying to post a new response at least twice per week, but admit my busy schedule means I am sometimes falling short on this. So it is going to be necessary that a number of other CT'ers are posting responses here somewhat regularly.

The Time Line

Estimates of the total number of species on Earth range from 8.7 million to a trillion. Of all the species that have existed on Earth at some point over the past 3.5 billion years, over 95% have gone extinct.

https://www.theworldcounts.com/chall...xtinction-rate

Species are disappearing fast, and more are being place on the “endangered” list. Every species has its own unique role in the overall sustainability of the planet. It is in man's own interest to try to maintain what biodiversity remains.

~ Bob (T-S/P)
          Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 4th January, 2023, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Biodiversity & Planetary Stewardship

Americas - Province of Ontario, Canada

The Green Belt

"Parks Canada warns of ‘irreversible harm’ if Ontario proceeds with Greenbelt development"

https://thenarwhal.ca/ontario-greenb...963e-108743676

"Head of Ontario species at risk agency resigns over changes to Greenbelt, conservation authorities"

https://thenarwhal.ca/ontario-specie...963e-108743676

~ Bob A (T-S/P)
            Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Friday, 6th January, 2023, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Planetary Stewardship

Biodiversity

ClientEarth (The Planet's Lawyers)

"ClientEarth - a charity, founded in 2006 by US-born lawyer James Thornton, who made his name in the 1980s battling with the Reagan administration to get the Clean Water Act enforced. Thornton founded ClientEarth to act as the “special forces” of the environmental movement, with the driving philosophy that the Earth was his most important client. [The head office is now located in London, United Kingdom]."

https://www.wired.com/story/clientea...nl&utm_term=P3

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

ChessTalk

Planetary Stewardship:Biodiversity Thread

(Started: 22/12/22)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Number 7.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	223872

Week # 1 (23/1/2 – 23/1/8: 7 days)

Weekly Stats:
                .....................................................2023Average..........................................................2023 Average
                Last Week's......Prior Week's........Views/Day..........Last Week's.....Prior Week's......Responses/Day
                Views/Day........Views/Day.............(1 wk.)............Responses/Day....Resp./Day......... (1 wk.).

…...2.......................1..........................2...........................1.......................0.........................1.........

Analysis of Stats of First Week of 2023

Last week ran a bit ahead of the prior week (Though that was a holidays week).

Part of the problem is that biodiversity articles almost dried up immediately after COP15, the Montreal conference.

But they have now started randomly popping up again.

There are articles out there on the continuing loss of co-resident species on Earth, due to the encroachment of human activity.

This thread encourages CT'ers on all sides to re-post here, as responses, Biodiversity posts of interest they see elsewhere.

Note: I personally, as the thread originator, am trying to post a new response at least twice per week, but admit my busy schedule means I am sometimes falling short on this. So it is going to be necessary that a number of other CT'ers are posting responses here somewhat regularly.

The Time Line

Estimates of the total number of species on Earth range from 8.7 million to a trillion. Of all the species that have existed on Earth at some point over the past 3.5 billion years, over 95% have gone extinct.

Species are disappearing fast, and more are being place on the “endangered” list. Every species has its own unique role in the overall sustainability of the planet. It is in man's own interest to try to maintain what biodiversity remains.

~ Bob (T-S/P)

Comment

Planetary Stewardship: Biodiversity

Our Co-Resident Species

Polar Bears

Americas - Canada

Subscribers Only

"Canadian polar bears near ‘bear capital’ dying at fast rate"

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/worl...mhAW4S4QM2hoOG

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

Our Co-Resident Species

Birds - Loon

Subscribers Only

"Loons are slowly disappearing. Researchers want Canadians to help them find out why"

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...umkphncWpFIiMw

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

Americas - Ecuador

The Rainforest

"Ecuador is cash-strapped and struggling with debt. The government sees drilling as its best way out. The story of this place, Yasuní National Park, offers a case study on how global financial forces continue to trap developing countries into depleting some of the most biodiverse places on the planet."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/14/c...it_nn_20230115

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

ChessTalk

Planetary Stewardship: Biodiversity Thread

(Started: 22/12/22)

Name:	Number 7.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	224065

Week # 2 (23/1/9 – 23/1/15: 7 days)

Weekly Stats:
                        .....................................................2023Average..........................................................2023 Average
                        Views/Day........Views/Day.............(2 wks.)............Responses/Day....Resp./Day......... (2 wks.).

…...3.......................2..........................2...........................1.......................1.........................1.........

Analysis of Last Week's Stats

Last week ran a bit ahead of the 2023 average so far.

But a problem has arisen; the number of biodiversity articles has almost dried up immediately after the plethora of articles prior to, and immediately after, the COP15 in the Montreal, Province of Quebec, Canada.

But they have now started randomly popping up again. We will ferret them out!

There are articles out there on the continuing loss of co-resident species on Earth, due to the encroachment of human activity.

Note:

1. The goal of this thread is not to woodshed an opposing view into submission. Every position is entitled to post as it sees fit, regardless of the kind of, and amount of, postings by other positions. What is wanted is serious consideration of all posts........then you decide.

2. I personally, as the thread originator, am trying to post a new response at least twice per week, but admit my busy schedule means I am sometimes falling short on this. So it is going to be necessary that a number of other CT'ers are posting responses here somewhat regularly.

The Time Line

Goal

- to protect existing forests and green spaces and relevant natural areas from devastation due to ongoing human development activity, and to begin replacing what has been lost.

~ Bob (T-S/P)

Comment

Sofia Jose Facebook Post (23/1/15)

Name:	Elephant.Poaching.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	224068

"This is an Image of an Elephant killed by Poachers and her Baby. If someone would not help this baby, she will die of sorrows and wants of mothers love and milk. We the humans can live without the tusk of an Elephant, skin, fur or anything that belongs to another living beings. If no crime is committed on them, they will live may be 60 years or more. They have their order in their herds. The Mother (Matriarch) guide the herds to salts, water holes and Green pastures. When people speak of God, Oneness, All-Ness, these all living beings are not included or what? are they separate from Creation.? How powerfully they speak of the knowledge of God, when they have no no knowledge what is happening on the Earth with other beings because of us. They can justify, they have no soul, who says says they have no souls, do these people claim to have soul, are they sure of that? What is our purpose here? just to destroy, eat, enjoy and die and we will be taken up to the Golden Seat of God? Or live humbly, kindly and participate in the continuum of all that lives. Hurt no one being intentionally. Can we not feel the pain of other beings and their suffering. All beings have soul and they have their bodies like we do. We are not superior, we do have superior brain that is all. If we can connect with our Human nature, then we can say we are superior beings. All knowledge and wisdom comes to us, when we live humbly kindly and connect with all as part of one creation."

Sofia

Comment

Japanese Giant Salamander

Name:	Japanese Giant Salamader.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	224091

"The Japanese giant salamander has been protected as a cultural property under Japanese law since it was declared a “special natural monument” in 1952. It is illegal to hunt the animal and only those with a special license are allowed to touch it.

However, like 41% of amphibian species threatened with extinction globally, Japanese giant salamander numbers are declining."

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/20...0lFGme_c3QRziA

~ Bob A (T-S/P)

Comment

The Relocation Strategy

Americas - Haiti, USA

Tristam's Storm Petrel

"In a desperate effort to save a seabird species in Hawaii from rising ocean waters, scientists are moving chicks to a new island hundreds of miles away.

Moving species to save them — once considered taboo — is quickly gaining traction as climate change upends habitats. Similar re-locations are being suggested for birds, lizards, butterflies and even flowers.

Concerns persist that the novel practice could cause unintended harm the same way invasive plants and animals have wreaked havoc on native species."

https://apnews.com/article/science-e...ternoon%20Wire

~ Bob
                              A (T-S/P)

Comment

Working...
                              X